• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a processor and Graphics card

Associate
My son has been upgrading his system and his primary use is racing on racing car simulators which he streams as well. So far he's purchased the B450 Tomahawk with 32GB RAM and an LG Ultragear 27inch 144Mhz monitor. He is currently using my old Ryzen 1600 with an Rx 470 and is waiting for AMD to launch its new range of processors and graphics cards. So the first question is what CPU should he buy? A current 3000 series one or wait for the new 4000 range? (And should it have six cores or eight?)

If anyone comes up with an answer - what graphics card would you pair it with?

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Associate
What resolution is the monitor and what sort of budget are you looking at?

Many answers to this one, if you get an Nvidia graphics card NVEnc lends itself to streaming so you might need less of a beastly.CPU.
I'm not at all.an expert on this, just dropping in some ideas you might want to research further

Associate
OP
Good question - 2560 x 1440. I had read about the theory of NVEnc but I'm still waiting for someone to actually get a 3080, make sure it works properly then report a users experience about what difference it makes to streaming.

Associate
Streaming through graphic card is meh ( quality is ***** ), so cpu should be 8 cores + , at the very least .
p.s: Upload speed plays a big part too, cause it it will limit quality of the stream ( can't go higher than upload , when streaming or it will get laggy).

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. There seems to be clear agreement that eight cores (or more) is the way to go. So with no clear budget other than he knows he will be spending between £500 and £1,000 for a new processor and graphics card should he go for the Ryzen 3700X or wait for the new one (4800X?).

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. There seems to be clear agreement that eight cores (or more) is the way to go. So with no clear budget other than he knows he will be spending between £500 and £1,000 for a new processor and graphics card should he go for the Ryzen 3700X or wait for the new one (4800X?).

At this stage in the game he might as well wait to see what AMD announces.

I'm not sure on where the B450 will stand regarding support of the new chips, but AMD have stated they'll be trying to work something out and I find the MSI boards the most likely of the lot to actually release a bios update.

Soldato
I would wait am upgrading next year, if nothing was happening now I would opt for the 3600xt for gaming and a 2070ti or 2080 if i was willing to spend that much on a GPU.

Wait until next year when the dust settles and make a informed choice on new Gpus & Cpus coming to market.

Just my OP your choice but my advice is wait. ;)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
As with any new release (as your in the CPU forum) from experience when I got my 3600, the prices of the 2000 series dropped nicely. So if I was in your sons position at the time, streaming, I would have picked up a cheap 2700.

So this time round wait, see what price the *700 is then check what the 3700X drops to. It would probably be the right time to get either a 3070 or whatever AMD share on their new lineup.

Back
Top Bottom