Tiger Lake laptops

Soldato
It's very telling when none of the 6+ previews are allowed to mention battery life, due to "reasons" the fact seems to be unless the TDP is configured up to 28w on the 1185G7 top of the range $426 part, then the performance is going to be somewhat lacking from the CPU side. We need to see side-by-side test showing >15w and <15w to get an indication of just what you can really expect.

If I were buying as a consumer I'd want more data before spending my hard earned cash, but if I was buying as a business I'd 100% want to not be the beta testers and would want rock solid data from all angles as the massive egg on face potential if it is found to be worse than 10th Gen parts for battery and sustained every day use not involving the GPU.

I'd not expect to see these in any volume before Q1 '21 either, this is clearly a paper launch preview to put people off buying a competitor part based machine.

Associate
Honestly just get a 4700u laptop and be done with it , intel are too far behind AMDs 4000 series laptop chips and that's coming from someone with a 10750H.

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Linus also did a review and he did mention Intel not banging drums about Battery life but also mentioned the poor AMD distribution hence why dell not using them. Going to wait until Black Friday to see if any offers appear. I am disappointed in the Lenovo offering's which have poor screen resolution and nits (Ideapad 5) but can't argue with the low sub £700 price

Soldato
the poor AMD distribution hence why dell not using them.

I don't doubt this is what Linus said, but I do doubt that it's the complete truth.

Intel and Dell have a history and I suspect it will be a while before AMD parts make it inside.

(Although I hope to be proven wrong as I would very much like a zen based XPS)

Man of Honour
I am guessing here but I suspect the distribution issues with AMD are related to low orders from laptop manufacturers. Historically AMD have not been competitive with Intel in that space. So I would have expected there to be a lower number of orders placed. AMD are only going to place orders with their fab if they have orders from laptop companies. However this time they completely spanked Intel and there was a shortage. It probably took AMD a while to get new processors made and supply them. A good example was with Lenovo Thinkpads. Lenovo launched identical T14 and T14s laptops this year in both Intel and AMD variants. The Thinkpad community was eagerly waiting for the AMD versions and they sold out within a few days across all of Europe. There was then a wait of a few weeks to refresh stock. But in a recent sale only the Intel versions were reduced. To me that indicates people were avoiding Intel (hence them being reduced) and waiting for AMD. In other words there were too many Intel laptops made and not enough AMD; the vendor ordered the wrong stock.

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
There is still a shortage today 3 months on, it does not work for businesses or customers waiting 3 months for a laptop. The college's and university's have started and at the moment only Intel albeit gen 10 is readily available across a number of manufacturers. Businesses who need 100+ laptops in the next week have still only intel as there choice. Let's hope this improves before Ryzon 5000 arrives and Black Friday

Man of Honour
There is still a shortage today 3 months on, it does not work for businesses or customers waiting 3 months for a laptop. The college's and university's have started and at the moment only Intel albeit gen 10 is readily available across a number of manufacturers. Businesses who need 100+ laptops in the next week have still only intel as there choice. Let's hope this improves before Ryzon 5000 arrives and Black Friday

It can't be nearly as bad as about a month ago, I'm seeing absolutely loads of 4000 series laptops with my Distis. Last month I had a fight for days finding a ryzen 7 envy 13, now there are an absolute ton of different envy Ryzen 4000 machines with the same disti sitting ready to buy.

In fact I just bought 70 Ryzen based machines this morning and could have bought hundreds had I wanted to.

Man of Honour
Stock seems to be improving, and funnily enough today I've had two e-mails from suppliers with Ryzen based systems on promo/incentives.

They are certainly starting to become more normal at the OEMs, I even have word that the Spectre line with HP will be moving to AMD based skus for the 2021 machine. Ill have one of them if they do. Currently have to put up with the Ryzen 4700u in my Envy x360 13" :rolleyes:

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Dell's Tigerlake offerings are available now not cheap for the XPS 13!

base model - 16Gb, 512SSD, i7-1165G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.7 GHz) - £1,649.00 :eek:

Definitely will be waiting for Lenovo and other discounts on Black Friday

Back
Top Bottom