Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512gb installation questions

Associate
I'm currently putting my system together, this is my first SSD and I'm unsure on how best to install my Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512gb.

Firstly, is it a single or double-sided NvMe? It has some chips on the rear but so I guess that counts as double-sided? Or does it only count as double-sided if the chips on the rear are actual storage NAND chips and not just controller chips?
The manual for my motherboard (Asus Rog Strix B550-F Gaming) gives different installation instructions based on if it's single or double-sided. Those instructions are a bit confusing but more on that in a moment.

Secondly, is it better to use the heatsink that came with my motherboard or the one that came with the SSD? I'm thinking, it's probably best to go with the one on my motherboard as it looks a bit more beefy but I want to check. This is the one that comes with the Adata SSD:
ADATA-XPG-SX8200-PRO-0008.jpg

Thirdly, if this NvME is double sided, the instruction from my motherboard's manual is a bit confusing. It reads:

• "DO NOT install the bundled M.2 rubber pads when installing a double-sided M.2 storage device. The rubber pad installed by default is compatible with double-sided M.2 storage devices."

I don't understand this wording. It's saying DO NOT install the bundled M.2 rubber pads with double-sided devices but in the next sentence it's saying the default ones ARE compatible with double-sided devices. ??

Any advice appreciated.

I have the 1Tb version and it's double sided, not sure about the 512Gb version.

Either way you don't need to use the rubber support pads, just the correct spacer screw post and the screw.

As for the heat spreader, SSD controllers like to run cool, but NAND operates better when it's running hotter.

I've done a bit of custom cooling on mine.
Added a larger heat sink to the controller, left the RAM open to air flow, and just heat synced the NAND with a thin piece.

All installed and working great, controller temp is 27c.

20201005_132037.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom