What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
There has to be something in there I can move on for £8.50 :D

It's the AST's i really wanted and the one with the tape drive was the one I especially was drawn to as its a Pentium Pro.

Both of the g4's have some immense coolness value on them... as does the pentium pro!! got your self a fun few days there just discovering what's what!

Soldato
Associate
Well i went and picked up that lot today. A lot of it is junk but there is some nice parts in it too!

The AST machines are in good condition, with just superficial scratches to the cases. They weigh a tonne, and need a good clean.

Here's some of the other bits in the lot

A Supermicro PIIIDR3! Intel 840 Dual Slot 1 Motherboard. Even has some RIMM's populated. This takes 133fsb CPU's. This will deffo be kept!
3VrVNTBl.jpg

This looks like an Intel LX slot 1 motherboard, has a 233mmx CPU and bonus, OPL3 and OPL4 chips onboard
hljDxgMl.jpg

Another Dual CPU motherboard, SuperMicro P4DPE. Socket 603. Don't know what CPU's are under those heatsinks
lY6vCZEl.jpg

A boxed Sound Blaster 16!
39iIQWpl.jpg

Overall worth the trip.

Soldato
Definitely worth the trip :D

Did they mention anything about how cheap it was? I remember picking up an xbox 360 for £4.25 and the seller was mad as hell. That was after i just gave him £5 I imagine I would have got a punch asking for the 75p back haha.

Associate
Definitely worth the trip :D

Did they mention anything about how cheap it was? I remember picking up an xbox 360 for £4.25 and the seller was mad as hell. That was after i just gave him £5 I imagine I would have got a punch asking for the 75p back haha.

To be fair he was pretty cool about it. He did expect more but ultimately wanted it all gone. I had to make two trips as it wouldn't all fit in a fiesta haha!

Soldato
I've been preparing for the dark nights to come by expanding my speccy collection with some top hand strategy war games.

specstrat.jpg

Soldato
£15 SS7 set up arrived today. Testing was annoying as it does not physically fit into my AT test case so I only tested as far as windows..
But it did boot fine. Seemed to run well too! the HDD included booted straight into windows 98se and was choc full of sensitive personal files...

So my £15 got me:
PC Chips M577 Super socket 7 motherboard. (has built in audio and usb but need the breakout boards for that... So will disable.)
AMD K6/2 - 300Mhz
96mb SDRam
4.1gb Quantum Fireball
Geforce 2 mx400 64mb.
PCI SCSI controller
Set of IDE cables without the blocked pin that some have... Surprisingly short on these so I'm actually happy with that included.

I think this is the 3rd SS7 I have had in my hands and seemingly the first one to work properly. Hopefully get some time at the weekend to fit it into a case and mess around properly.

Associate
Purchased a SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality. :)

I had a spare 5 1/4 slot, so I was looking for a suitable item to fill the void on my Windows XP machine. I have had no end of driver trouble using a USB powered X-Fi. When it worked it was awesome, only it was such a lottery. So I thought I would try a period product instead. Now hoping it will work/play nicely.

s6pa6NHb.jpg

JwqsL2pb.jpg

I received it today, it looks in great condition, apart from the small bit of black plastic rattling around in the box. :o

The breakout box and card came with no padding what so ever!

Not holding much hope to be honest, the cabling alone, looks delicate.

So a couple of months on, I got around to trying the fatality card. Home decoration led to most of my retro bits being popped into storage.

Sadly as suspected, the breakout box was knackered. The good news, the card is fine. So I bought another NOS 5 1/4 box and all is well. It works brilliantly now; none of the infuriating driver gripes that the USB X-Fi gave. To be fair, when the USB X-Fi worked - it was ace, only trying to use modern kit with an obsolete OS, is bound to be thwart with pain.

Well chuffed to finally get EAX which just... works! :)

Associate
£15 SS7 set up arrived today. Testing was annoying as it does not physically fit into my AT test case so I only tested as far as windows..
But it did boot fine. Seemed to run well too! the HDD included booted straight into windows 98se and was choc full of sensitive personal files...

So my £15 got me:
PC Chips M577 Super socket 7 motherboard. (has built in audio and usb but need the breakout boards for that... So will disable.)
AMD K6/2 - 300Mhz
96mb SDRam
4.1gb Quantum Fireball
Geforce 2 mx400 64mb.
PCI SCSI controller
Set of IDE cables without the blocked pin that some have... Surprisingly short on these so I'm actually happy with that included.

I think this is the 3rd SS7 I have had in my hands and seemingly the first one to work properly. Hopefully get some time at the weekend to fit it into a case and mess around properly.

Looks to be an interesting board and actually well regarded for a PC Chips item. I love how they rebrand the chipsets! This one is a VIA MVP3 so should be pretty fast!

Back
Top Bottom