Understanding RGB?

Associate
I am in the market for a small ATX RGB case but I cannot tell what is compatible with my MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. I would ideally like to control the RGB with software rather than a button on the case or something like that.

A couple cases that I like are these as they are in my price range and have a look I like. I am happy to go with something else that looks similar in the same price bracket and will work with my board.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-phalanx-v2-midi-tower-argb-gaming-case-black-ca-05a-kk.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koli...se-black-tempered-glass-window-ca-037-kk.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koli...b-midi-tower-gaming-case-black-ca-04r-kk.html

Man of Honour
Both cases say that the fans can controled by the motherboard . Now have far that extends to the rgb in not sure but a call to overclockers could clarify.

Or post in the customer service section of the forum.

Someone who has the case mite be able o answer.

Soldato
There are three types of RGB. One type can only be configured to a single colour, and connects to the 12V RGB header on motherboards. The second is addressible, meaning the colours of individual LEDs can be controlled. These connect to the 5V RGB header on motherboards. Your motherboard has two of the first header, and one of the second.

The third type of RGB uses a proprietary control system to control the fans, usually via a hub and an internal USB port. This is how RGB systems from Corsair and NZXT work.

It looks like all three cases use the second type; addressible dRGB. The fans will connect to a hub, or be daisy chained in some way, and then will connect to the 5V (3-pin) header on your motherboard. Most of these fans can be controlled by MSI Mystic Light now, so you should be good to go.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, that sounds hopeful that it will work. I think I will just get the one I like the best and hope it works with the motherboard.

Associate

Hi, I built a system recently using the mesh version of this case for better airflow. The fans will work fine with that MB - IIRC you install Dragon Centre and hook the fan controller into a 3 pin 5V ARGB header on the MB. You'll need to press the MB sync button to get it to work with dragon centre but that's a one time button press. You can also adjust the fan speed using the remote control only, going from off, silent, quite, loud.

It's a horrible case to work in BTW. Hope you got a modular power supply, the cable routing isn't great and there's virtually no room round the back. It's doable but took me a while. Once built though it looks good for the price.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I have built in horrible cases before, I have no optical drives or hdd's, just 2 nvme drives on the board so the only cables I need to worry about are the front panel, the CPU and the Gpu power cables. I am hoping the space in the power supply bay is sufficent to hide the rest of the cables.

Back
Top Bottom