Any advice on a new house alarm?

Soldato
We are possibly looking to move into a new build house but unfortunately it doesn't have an intruder alarm pre-fitted so I was wondering if you good people could recommend me a decent but cost effective system for a 2 storey house with integrated garage?

The developer has said that they could fit something but it would be cash in hand with a contractor rather than being part of the purchase!

They have quoted around £500 but I have no idea what sort of system I'd get for that sort of money!

Ideally I'd want something that will include the garage and if possible have some sort of remote access/notification but I've no idea where to even start!

Soldato
Just grab a 10 piece ring alarm kit for under £330 from costco and use the spare change from the 500 to get an external twin ring camera setup. All done for under 500 with alarm monitoring and 30 day clip storage all for one price of £8quid a month. One easy to use and install system with no wires 2 year batteries on sensors and easy app and upgradable in parts if needed. fitted several of these for family and friends great kit.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestion guys - I've had a look and the Ring system does seem to be the business - although does this system give you the option of adding any kind of external siren?

Soldato
OP
Unless it is a monitored system save your money and don't bother.

You don't think it's worth it if only for an alert when you are upstairs asleep in bed? From what I gather you can include the monitoring for £8 a month with Ring - and this also includes video recording upto 60 days if you get one of the camera's and/or doorbell!

Soldato
Mine did and the Ring alarm Siren on the station is LOUD it would wake the neighbours and you hear it outside. Plus if it goes off with the monitoring it calls 3 numbers for you so could be you, your parents etc but it wont call the police as the security industry in the UK has a lovely stranglehold on the market for that.

Soldato
Mine did and the Ring alarm Siren on the station is LOUD it would wake the neighbours and you hear it outside. Plus if it goes off with the monitoring it calls 3 numbers for you so could be you, your parents etc but it wont call the police as the security industry in the UK has a lovely stranglehold on the market for that.

This is where Simplisafe has the upperhand, although they do need a visual identification of a break in before they'll call the police.

Soldato
Is there a company out there that does wired* CCTV, alarm system (inc fire) and doorbell? And doesn't charge a monthly fee?

It's great having a linked home but don't fancy having a seperate app per item.

*wired for power

edit2: and ideally record too.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the suggestion guys - I've had a look and the Ring system does seem to be the business - although does this system give you the option of adding any kind of external siren?

If you get the ring floodlight camera (I have one overlooking my driveway), you can manually trigger a siren but there's no alarm box on the outside of your house.

Oh, and when the alarm is triggered you get an email, app notification and they ring the numbers you set.

Soldato
No one listens to nor comes to an external siren. biggest waste of money. Buy a light up Pyronix one and connect it to a 12v PSU if you want a visual deterrent.

Soldato
OP
If you get the ring floodlight camera (I have one overlooking my driveway), you can manually trigger a siren but there's no alarm box on the outside of your house.

Oh, and when the alarm is triggered you get an email, app notification and they ring the numbers you set.

I've seen the floodlight camera and wondered about having it looking at the back door and garden so it serves as a security light too - when you say you can manually trigger the siren it that it or can you set it so the siren goes off when the light comes on and the camera activates?

Back
Top Bottom