Oculus Quest 2 v HP Reverb G2?

Soldato
Look at the fringes of the G2. The Library text is super clear, but the Resume Playing text is blurry. Similar with the triple fullscreen comparison with the racing, the man and the red wing over the left wheel are both fuzzier.

Astounding in the centre though.

Soldato
Look at the fringes of the G2. The Library text is super clear, but the Resume Playing text is blurry. Similar with the triple fullscreen comparison with the racing, the man and the red wing over the left wheel are both fuzzier.

Astounding in the centre though.

Wouldn't read too much into that - even slight misalignment of the camera can cause it, and it clearly doesn't drop off to the same extent in other shots (eg the text on the steering wheel is in a similar position off centre but much clearer). As always in all cases (both good and bad) through the lens footage has distinct limitations and I would take previewers at their word (ie that G2 lenses are great with a big sweet spot) over a few examples of off-centre blurryness seen when sticking a camera into the headset.

Amazing news that Godin has already got a 90hz mode going, watching the Assetto Corsa demo from Tyriel's video in 72hz vs the 90hz was painful! Although it was probably exacerbated by the mismatch in camera/headset framerates.

That was overall a really interesting comparison by Tyriel. I think the Quest 2 is offering some mind blowingly good visuals for such a cheap headset - I think it's potentially game changing to have such a usable piece of kit at a very affordable price all things considered... I can see it growing VR substantially.

Soldato
G2 looks the best but quest is looking good especially for the £. plus you get a wireless headset.

I thought the quest was dissapointing. It trades blows with the Index which has a lower resolution and a gigantic vertical FOV with a better horizontal FOV. The Index is also like 12-18 motnhs old now.

Also the colours on it, especially the blacks, are worst-in-class, very similar to the Rift S. Oculus really go cheap on their LCD panels.

The G2 has the best picture and the best colours and comfortably beats both headsets. I wish I'd pre-ordered one now but given HP are last minute revising the lenses, I'm happy to let other users be beta testers for now until we have a good readily available GPU solution which doesn't crash :D

Soldato
Just seen a side by side screen capture in DCS of the G2 vs Q2. The Q2 looked fine, the G2 looked awesome.

In those videos from Tyriel?

If so it's worth noting that the footage he captured on the Quest 2 was actually using the WIP improved Virtual Desktop WiFi streaming, and even over wifi streaming it easily matches (or actually I would say exceeds) the index in clarity and legibility in that particular comparison - really looking forward to trying that out on a Quest 2. I haven't stuck in an order yet but a friend of mine did so I intend to use and abuse his headset for some personal comparisons to my G2 when it arrives before deciding whether or not to add one to my Christmas list! Given how much I enjoyed playing Alyx through WiFi on the Q1, I can only imagine the upgrade to 90Hz, higher resolution, reduced latency and no screendoor would make for a brilliant experience even though it doesn't hold up to the G2 overall in terms of fidelity.

That DCS footage of the G2 is just amazing though, it's really going to be a game changer for me coming from the CV1/Quest in terms of usability.

Last edited:
Soldato
G2 looks amazing, makes my Index look fuzzy and that's the sharpest headset I've used. I just wish it were either a proper Steam VR headset, and natively supported Index controllers, or the WMR controllers supplied with it had capacitive touch.

Soldato
G2 looks amazing, makes my Index look fuzzy and that's the sharpest headset I've used. I just wish it were either a proper Steam VR headset, and natively supported Index controllers, or the WMR controllers supplied with it had capacitive touch.

Agreed, the lack of capacitive touch is ultimately a real shame and there is no arguing that the G2 controllers fall short of touch or index. For the Touch controllers you have capacitive sensing, significantly better power efficiency (and the option to use common 1.2v nimh) and what looks like a much more compact tracking ring which makes collisions less likely. For index you have not only unassailable positional tracking, but also class leading finger tracking and force sensors in the grip.

Doesn't really fit with the "no compromises" marketing spiel when they first teased it. I can see why they wouldn't have gone with lighthouse as the base stations alone add significant expense and inconvenience, but adding capacitive touch I can't imagine would have significantly changed the price to the point where anyone's purchasing decision would have been swayed. If anything it would probably encourage more people to buy it even if it added 10 or 20 quid to the price.

While I think the new WMR controllers will prove mostly adequate, I really hope HP see the potential demand for top tier "Plus" controllers and work with MS on developing an Index style controller (with better thumbstick position though lol) for WMR. If they came out with some real index competitors at say £200 I think they'd sell a lot, especially if they were backwards compatible with older WMR headsets like the new G2 ones are.

Last edited:
Soldato
From the video above, its pretty clear the G2 is better at everything than the Q2 with the Index only having the edge in vertical FOV, horizontal FOV and refresh rate.

The Index beats the Q2 in most use-cases (but the margins are very small) apart from SDE, and trades blows in some games re: sharpness (I think the Q2 looks a bit better in Assetto but worse in others, sadly the poor colours don't help).

SDE: G2 > Q2 > Index
Sharpness: G2 > Index >/= Q2 (I thought Index looked better in most use cases except Assetto Corsa)
Compression: G2=Index >>> Q2 (very obvious in the snellen test)
Black levels G2 > Index >>>Q2 (as evidenced by the DCS test, the sky on the Q2 is very very grey and lets remember neither the G2 or Index have perfect blacks to begin with
Colours: G2 > Index >>>Q2
Vertical FOV: Index>>>G2 >Q2
Horizontal FOV: Index >>G2 >Q2
Refresh rate and motion: Index >>> G2 >>>>>>Q2 (until we get the 90hz update which has been confirmed to sacrifice further graphical fidelity)

So overall, I'd say its some interesting findings which were all in line with what I personally predicted. I don't want to toot my own horn too much. I've owned the Rift S, Quest, Index so it was fairly easy for me to speculate and come to clear conclusions unlike the fanboys who have set up camp in each different hardware developers dungeon.

Whats sad is this that is over the link cable, so the PCVR wireless virtual desktop solutions are likely EVEN worse. Still for the money, its good to see the Q2 is holding its own against far more expensive headsets, albiet the fact its obviously wasting some of its panel by not being able to fully take advantage of it. More dissapointing for the Q2 is Oculus continuously using poor contrast, poor black level LCD panels whilst Valve and HP are using far more superior options.

On the G2 front, it looks like an upgrade in nearly everything. Its clarity now has to become a benchmark for what we need in VR from the PC side of things.
The Q2 is also a benchmark for what we expect in portable VR, alas with no real competition.

Overall, I give the win clearly to the G2 but its amazing that nearly 18 months after the Index's release, it is still holding its own with the newer headsets. I guess in the VR market, it is kind of true that buy cheap, buy twice. Similarly the Q2 for the money is absolutely great, considering it gives visuals around a Valve Index, albiet with far worse colours, refresh rate, last generation controllers, compression artifacts BUT it does have the option of untethered portable VR for smaller games (sadly this comes with the poorer visuals). Its also still clearly the best adult VR entertainment device as it doesn't have a cable so you can take it to bed. *logs onto amazon and orders one*

My biggest take home message for myself is that HP have set a new standard not just for sharpness and clarity but for what we should come to expect from LCD panels on VR headsets. The colours simply look gorgeous. Valve need to take note, and obviously Oculus have a lot of homework to do if they want to match either the Index or G2 colours.

Whats very obvious is you are getting excellent value, no matter which headset you've gone with. If you bought an Index 18 months ago, you still have a top-tier VR headset which goes toe to toe and beats the competition in multiple parameters. If you buy a Q2, you're getting fantastic value on a versatile headset which can be portable and the G2 is the next evolution in VR visual fidelity with the best in class audio system in situ.

Soldato

I agree. I'm thinking of buying one and using the 'hack' method of getting Index controller support. Its hard to go back from them. Are you considering the same?

Soldato
I agree. I'm thinking of buying one and using the 'hack' method of getting Index controller support. Its hard to go back from them. Are you considering the same?

I need to get a 3080 before I can consider getting a G2 - I need one for my Index anyway. I'll be interested in how good the Quest 2 is over link compared to the Index.

If it's good enough I might consider selling the Index and getting a G2 just for sims, and using the Quest 2 for everything else. It's a shame the Quest 2 doesn't have displayport over USBC.

Also it now looks like Virtual Desktop is working for Quest 2 at 90hz with around 30ms latency. If I can get it working acceptably using a wi-fi repeater then I could have proper roomscale wireless PC VR, which makes using my Index in my cramped attic a bit redundant.

Soldato
Whats sad is this that is over the link cable, so the PCVR wireless virtual desktop solutions are likely EVEN worse.

small point of correction - the DCS comparison was using virtual desktop at 90hz worth a resolution bump, not link.

Do you have a reference for the confirmation you mention about degraded visuals with 90hz? Haven’t seen that confirmed anywhere.

I think it’s ultimately disappointing that they couldn’t get a setup where you could plug in a proper DisplayPort/USB and just use the Quest 2 purely as a PCVR headset without the need for quality reducing/latency increasing compression. A true hybrid would be great.

Back
Top Bottom