Replacing a Pioneer Kuro LX5090

Associate
Any recommendations for replacing Pioneer Kuro LX5090 that will be used for gaming at 1080P? I am not ready to upgrade to 4k yet as i think i can get another couple of years out of my current pc at 1080p/60hz which I'm pretty happy with for a while yet, however my old tv died and i was given a 42" sony bravia for free to get me by until i get a replacement i want something equivalent to the Kuro.

I'm after something 50"+ 1080p and 60hz is fine, I'm thinking just getting something on the used market may be best considering I'm sticking with 1080p? Looking online I've seen the same Kuro for £250 tempted to just take a punt again on one of these or is there anything better nowadays for up to say £300?

Man of Honour
Asking any modern LCD/LED 50"-ish TV at £300 to get close to the performance of an LX5090 is a massive ask, and frankly, it's as impossible as expecting today's £15,000 super-mini to measure up to your twelve-year-old £70,000 BMW M5. Sure, the super-mini has Bluetooth, reversing cameras, self-parking, and a hybrid engine that actually helps polar bears procreate*, but the bones of it are nothing like the performance beast that is an M5, and that's the problem.

A used Panasonic VT20, VT30, VT50, or perhaps a GT is maybe where you should be looking I think.

New £300 50"-ish TVs such as the Hisense models will impress you initially with their connected features and brightness and the vividness of their colour saturation. They'll also be much kinder to your wallet because with their green credentials they use far less power to the point where every time you switch it on a new tree spontaneously grows*. Before long though you'll notice the blotchy backlight and the lack of shadow detail and the inability to render subtle colours naturally.

* Disclaimer: New polar bear births and regenerating rain forests aren't really features of today's super-minis and greener TVs

Soldato
I'm still using my Panasonic ST60 from like 6-7 year ago.
I don't think I could justify buying a standard TV at this point, the black levels are just too important.
I did try to upgrade to an OLED but the banding/tinting drove me insane, went through a few replacements but gave up in the end and went back to my ST60 which still looks great with a perfectly uniform screen.

I'd say go down the used route either another kuro or other panasonic plasma. If you cant go OLED, you will be disappointed by anything else if you are a long term Plasma user.

Associate
Having just left a Panasonic plasma for OLED if you don't want or need 4K, I'll echo others and agree, stay with what you know for now.

For me the trade off of some of the motion handlining and low black levels vs 4K and higher framerates is acceptable, but at a huge financial cost.

Soldato
I went from a kuro 5090 to LG c9. Happy with the bigger screen, brighter and more contrast to the image

However the LG does occasionally have postersarion, it's not much and only on couple of scenes in few bluray, but the pioneer never had that

Man of Honour
Have any of you tried MadVR video processing?

I don't know too much about it yet. The rep contacted me yesterday about some new product, so haven't seen this new device in action so far. However, the software processing has been used by gamers for a while (not my sphere) as a way to overcome banding. It is also said to enhance the apparent contrast ratio. Maybe also works on posterisation too? Not sure how that would work with a native 8-bit panel, but obviously Pioneer managed it with the Kuros.

Permabanned
1080p signal looks great on a 4k screen because of the scaling achieved due to the pixel ratio... Don't faff around getting a 1080p stopgap display. Invest some decent money in a 4k screen that will do just fine at 1080p then unlocks it's potential in the future when you transition to 4k.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still have an LX5090 in the upstairs Bedroom/WFH Office and it has two defining features:

1. Still a great TV combined with the Samsung Soundbar and a Firestick.
2. Excellent secondary radiator when winter arrives.

Keep the Kuro and just enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom