Ender 3 Pro or Ender 3 v2?

Associate
I've done my best attempt at reading all the info on 3d printers for my first purchase and I could tell that the Ender 3 was highly recommended but then I came across the two versions and got a bit stuck.

I've also seen a few mods like BL Touch and Marlin firmware and a few other things... so I was looking for a good starting setup really (I've even looked on Ebay for secondhand units that have already been modded).

I'll probably be printing SM32 rail parts for a friend so nothing massive, and I'll keep it in an air-conditioned server room possibly, so it'll sit at 20 degrees all day long and won't move... a good or bad idea?

I'm leaning towards the Ender 3 v2, can someone guide me? :)

Associate
OP
Better off buying the ender 3 than the pro, but I would buy the V2 over the pro, but would still buy the ender 3, and mod it instead

So the Ender V1 is better than the V2?

I'm in the same boat and the Biqu B1 has just appeared on my Radar. Maybe worth looking at.

This looks like a pre-modded Ender clone, the SKR mainboard is one of mods I saw on a pre-owned Ender 3.

Complicated stuff this! It looks more V1 than V2 from the bed plate, though it does have a colour screen...

Definitely looks like a contender though. :)

Associate
That's a great video, thank you. :)

The v1 wins in a lot of areas but the v2 has the improved steppers and less striping.

The next video on YouTube was an Ender 3 v2 Vs. a BIQU B1, watching now. :o

It's worth saying that Creality are now selling all Ender 3's V1/V1 Pro/V2 with the new 32bit board so in actual fact they will have the same stepper drivers.

Associate
It's worth saying that Creality are now selling all Ender 3's V1/V1 Pro/V2 with the new 32bit board so in actual fact they will have the same stepper drivers.

Although reports are that they are sending old stock too, so little bit of pot luck currently.

Associate
I ordered a Ender 3 for work over the Ender 3 Pro and I've been pleased with it - no complaints. I'm not sure the Pro is worth the extra to be honest.

Soldato
I went with rhe V2, just for less hassle (for a newb at printing) and little additions. Less work to add some upgrades from what I see. Probably not worth the cost though in parts alone unless you are getting it on sale, but whatever.

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing I found immediately is the springs on this for the bed are trash. I have had to re-level the bed several times already just from really short test prints. I have some new springs coming today to resolve.

Curious if people do solid bed upgrades for Enders?

Soldato
Immediately got better print after swapping springs and re-levelling. For the money well worth it.

p.s. Something I had noticed, and not realized why, is that the 'test print' gcode I was using was for PLA at low temps, when I'm printing PETG. My bed temp kept dropping and loosing adhesion. as soon as I sliced my own file and saw the material settings I got better adhesion (i.e. it didn't unstick from the bed, or at least not for the past 30 minutes lol).

Soldato
Immediately got better print after swapping springs and re-levelling. For the money well worth it.

p.s. Something I had noticed, and not realized why, is that the 'test print' gcode I was using was for PLA at low temps, when I'm printing PETG. My bed temp kept dropping and loosing adhesion. as soon as I sliced my own file and saw the material settings I got better adhesion (i.e. it didn't unstick from the bed, or at least not for the past 30 minutes lol).

Nice one dude :)

Soldato
Buddy recommended to use hairspray (suave maxhold) for PETG on glass. I will be trying to pick some up tonight.. i swear it's not for my hair lol.

Also.. bored of waiting for prints to finish already lol. Need another printer

Soldato
I picked up the standard Ender 3. Figured I'd rather spend the difference on upgrades as and when I see fit.

What's the benefit of a glass bed? I find the removable flexible bed really useful to pop the prints off, they adhere to it pretty well.

Think I will get some springs ordered mind as the stock ones just don't seem strong enough to do the job.

Associate
I picked up the standard Ender 3. Figured I'd rather spend the difference on upgrades as and when I see fit.

What's the benefit of a glass bed? I find the removable flexible bed really useful to pop the prints off, they adhere to it pretty well.

Think I will get some springs ordered mind as the stock ones just don't seem strong enough to do the job.

The glass is supposed to offer better adhesion for a range of plastics, although you need to keep it spotless.

I agree on the springs, while I don't seem to have troubles leveling the bed keeping it level is a pain. But so far I've been pretty impressed by me ender 3 V2, time to relearn some cad. :)

Associate
I have a Ender 3 which is kinda referred to as version 1.5 (updated mainboard) and assume has run of the mill stock springs and never had an issue with bed drifting out of level.

The one thing that helps keep level is to turn them right down and then level. You want them really compressed to constantly exert pressure and keep the bed up. If they're not compressed enough bed level can be a pain since there is no resistance against the paper trick....probably not an issue with a BLTouch or similar.

Associate
I followed that rule, but irritatingly the back right corner has about half a turn in it, once level, between pressure and going slack.

I thought about removing the nub on the z stop, but don't want to void the warranty just yet. So I'm thinking the next thing is to apply a shim or 2 of foil.

Back
Top Bottom