• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Soldato
Been doing some testing and while my card is fine at stock settings if I force my card to boost over 2080mhz in games it will crash even if I cap frames so it's only pulling 200w.

It's like there is a speed threshold it just can't go beyond.

If any others want to test then cap frames well below what the Gpu will do so the cards not hitting power limits then push up the clocks till it crashes.

This is normal unless you have a golden sample, the community has got used to thinking all cards can support high clocks, and never listened to those of us who were silicon lottery losers, I expect what has happened here is that many Ampere chips cannot handle 2ghz, and the OC cards have simply been too aggressive in their clocks. Just because one Kingpin card (which is very likely to have a binned chip) has achieved it, it doesnt mean the entire manufactured lot can do it. If they all could do it, then the spec's would be higher.

Soldato
Not sure if this has been posted yet

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/t...-nvidia-rtx-30-series-crash-to-desktop-issues

A bevy of third-party graphics card makers have issued statements regarding the reports of crashing issues that have marred Nvidia's launch of the RTX 30-series graphics cards. Ampere's debut was met with more excitement than we typically see with launches due to impressive generational performance gains, but then things went sideways. Widespread shortages set in after both the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 launches, but that seems a petty concern after an increasing number of reports emerged that users were experiencing crash to desktop (CTD) and black-screening issues. Following a report from Igor's Lab, much of the speculation turned to the various capacitor arrangements on the RTX 30-series graphics cards. But that speculation reached a fever pitch after EVGA officially acknowledged that it had encountered difficulties with designs that used only one type of capacitor (commonly referred to as POSCAPs, but more specifically, SP-Caps). We have more detail on that topic here.

Soldato
Some are reporting lower clocks and some are reporting higher clocks.

I do wonder if the ones with lower clocks are the cards with no or fewer MLCC - just to be clear I'm in no way suggesting SP-CAPS are why the cards have reduced in speed on the new driver - what I am suggesting is that those are lower quality cards to begin with and should never have been boosting as high as they were before - now they are performing like they should have.

For example, you can take a look at in game clocks across a range of 3080 cards - they've all been very similar on reviews regardless of if its an entry level card or top of the line. That was also a bit odd as GPU boost usually doesn't do that, cards with higher boost clocks set by the manufacturer should be the fastest. And after the new driver, that seems to be working correctly

Reviewers need to re-do their reviews

Soldato
Some are reporting lower clocks and some are reporting higher clocks.

I do wonder if the ones with lower clocks are the cards with no or fewer MLCC - just to be clear I'm in no way suggesting SP-CAPS are why the cards have reduced in speed on the new driver - what I am suggesting is that those are lower quality cards to begin with and should never have been boosting as high as they were before - now they are performing like they should have.

Reviewers need to re-do their reviews

Most of them are not reviewers. They are paid influencers, and their job is done.

Man of Honour

I like that Galax came out with a statement that sounds like they know what they are talking about. To be fair to EVGA it is perfectly possible they did evaluate a 6x POSCAP or similar arrangement and rejected it - no one AFAIK is actually shipping a 6x POSCAP product and it is quite likely that 6x tants alone provide insufficient filtering and/or instantaneous current requirements - there are a number of other reasons why tants aren't a popular choice for a GPU environment. TBH though I think it was largely EVGA PR trying to leverage the situation without properly talking to engineering to fully understand what was going on.

Soldato
I like that Galax came out with a statement that sounds like they know what they are talking about. To be fair to EVGA it is perfectly possible they did evaluate a 6x POSCAP or similar arrangement and rejected it - no one AFAIK is actually shipping a 6x POSCAP product and it is quite likely that 6x tants alone provide insufficient filtering and/or instantaneous current requirements - there are a number of other reasons why tants aren't a popular choice for a GPU environment. TBH though I think it was largely EVGA PR trying to leverage the situation without properly talking to engineering to fully understand what was going on.

I like that inno3d are so confident, they've said their ichill cards aren't affected. Bold statement.

Soldato
Thanks bro thats promising news! Glad about the responses for the Gigabyte cards from owners since there has been so much trash talk going on with virtually nothing from people that actually own the cards.. just assumptions based on the capacitors speculation flying around.

Think they used different sp-caps then others with straight 6 design. Shouldn't take to long for buildzoid to get his hands on it and others

Associate
Man I said this on another forum when people were mentioning capacitors; it seemed very low probability that independent teams of some of the best electrical engineers the world has to offer all made the same error on a product they’ve likely tested till dawn. Gotta love how suddenly everyone became a god damn phd and Elec eng overnight after reading a blogpost about capacitors.
Man I was thinking the same thing. It is amazing.

Man of Honour
My 1080ti cant do 2ghz stable, its called the silicon lottery.

The core's on Ampere are not the same as Turing, you cant assume the clock speed for different architecture's and you couldnt assume it for pascal and turing either. For both of those there was cards that couldnt do 2ghz.

If you have both a node shrink and a smaller chip than Turing it is not unreasonable to expect an increase in clock speed unless the silicon is poor.

Soldato
If you have both a node shrink and a smaller chip than Turing it is not unreasonable to expect an increase in clock speed unless the silicon is poor.

Node shrink doesn't automatically equate to higher clocks though. AMD's 7nm doesn't clock as high Bulldozer did. That doesn't make Zen2 "poor silicon".

Soldato
Node shrink doesn't automatically equate to higher clocks though. AMD's 7nm doesn't clock as high Bulldozer did. That doesn't make Zen2 "poor silicon".

Recent history suggests it's the opposite - node shrinks reduce clock speeds (temporarily)

Associate
From Inno3d twitter:

"Please be rest assured, and we hereby declare that INNO3D/ICHILL GeForce RTX 30 Series products do not have any instability problems. "

EjDCZr0WAAgUqqJ

Man of Honour
Bit surprised that removing 2 of the SP caps had such a dramatic impact on stability but as expected no magic solution from simply "upgrading" the capacitors - the problem largely seems to be marginal core stability in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom