Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I looked at that one but ended up with the Montane Via minimus. Seems to be similarly priced.

I’ve done barely any running recently. Am in Spain and so have concentrated on drinking and Paddleboarding. Really need to sort my **** out when I get back home.

Soldato
I've been running for a few months now. Originally I was just doing 5k pretty much as fast as I could every time I went out. I've recently started throwing in some runs at a lower HR and some intervals for speed work, but I'm still very much winging it.

Just wondering if someone can suggest a more structured plan worth following? My goal is running faster, rather than further. I'd like to stick around the 5k mark.

Associate
How about inov8 trailshell https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/buy/inov-8-mens-trailshell-fz_8999.htm

Extra 10% of with SEPT10

I have the storm shield, but haven't had any wet weather to test it in yet

I think my expectations of price do not match reality. And that is totally my issue, I'll spend £80-90 on a pair of running trainers that last about 4 months currently yet don't like the idea of £90 on a waterproof jacket.

For NotAGolf, in terms of training plans I can't really talk of 5k specifically as the requirements are quite different vs 10k+. That said, I'm a fan of the Strava/McMillian plans and I've used their 10k plans early on before using the 1/2 and now marathon plans. Their weekly structure fits for me (IE Monday & Saturday are my rest days, Sunday is long run day, the rest are targeted sessions) and they include some variety week on week, and importantly include "rest" weeks. I use the quotes only because it's just a dip week rather than sitting back doing sweet FA, and often its intensity is down but volume can be level if not up on the previous week.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I've been running for a few months now. Originally I was just doing 5k pretty much as fast as I could every time I went out. I've recently started throwing in some runs at a lower HR and some intervals for speed work, but I'm still very much winging it.

Just wondering if someone can suggest a more structured plan worth following? My goal is running faster, rather than further. I'd like to stick around the 5k mark.

Find a hill... Sprint up... Jog/Walk down. Start doing 4 or 5 intervals and increase these by one every 2 weeks if you can, Ideally you want a nice incline about 50-100m in length. It just works.

These are hard on the body, give yourself plenty of time to recover. I would suggest doing these once a week only.

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend a metronome app that can switch between two different beats quite easily for the purposes of interval training? And preferably plays in the background so you can keep up with podcasts or music on top. Thanks.

Soldato
Well i'm back from Spain and in the 11 days i was there i managed to get out for a single 4 mile run. Decided to concentrate on paddle boarding and drinking so running slipped.

As such i've probably only ran about 10 miles in the last 18 days.

I've also put on around 6kg over the holiday and a few bad weeks prior to that, so i'm looking to really get back on track both running wise and also nutritional side.

Associate
Well i'm back from Spain and in the 11 days i was there i managed to get out for a single 4 mile run. Decided to concentrate on paddle boarding and drinking so running slipped.

As such i've probably only ran about 10 miles in the last 18 days.

I've also put on around 6kg over the holiday and a few bad weeks prior to that, so i'm looking to really get back on track both running wise and also nutritional side.

Serves you right for going on holiday :D:D

I rode my bike twice when we were in France, so I know exactly what you mean though :)

Soldato
Ran first 5k today in around 10 days as my knee just wasn't feeling great after tweaking it on a hike. Seem to be back to normal so plan is to do 3 x 5km runs from next week as I'm finally coming back to the gym for some resistance training too.

Soldato
What do people use for running at night?

I have a few head torches which are fine, but they only light up in front of me. I'll often run on country lanes where i'm running on the side of the road, so would like to be a little more visible.

I was looking at the chest style lights, but only seem to be able to see generic ones on Amazon. Whilst i'm not after something expensive like a Petzl it'd be good to get something half reasonable. Otherwise do i just go for a reflective vest/bib to put on over my clothes?

Associate
What do people use for running at night?

I have a few head torches which are fine, but they only light up in front of me. I'll often run on country lanes where i'm running on the side of the road, so would like to be a little more visible.

I was looking at the chest style lights, but only seem to be able to see generic ones on Amazon. Whilst i'm not after something expensive like a Petzl it'd be good to get something half reasonable. Otherwise do i just go for a reflective vest/bib to put on over my clothes?
I use this decathlon head torch with this light clipped to the back of the strap. It's looks a bit puny in the pictures but it's very bright at night. Might be worth just getting a similar clip-on light and use your existing head torch.

Soldato
Oooh yeah i might do.

I was king of fancying a chest one though. My Silva XT one i got free with a magazine subscription is rubbish, and the other sometimes rubs on my head on long runs when sweat dries etc.

I do wonder if it's worth buying something better, especially as this year i've taken to a lot more off road running and have a few Ultras lined up.

In other news, tomorrow was meant to be my first Ultra which got cancelled. Fortunate really as my running has really gone off a cliff recently as i've been paddle boarding more.

Soldato
I have my first 10k tomorrow, round the Olympic Park, in the rain... I do 2 or 3 5k's a week, but only once on a treadmill have I done 10k, in 1hr 3. My target is to do it in under an hour. (My best 5k is about 27:30) Anyone got any tips?

Associate
I have my first 10k tomorrow, round the Olympic Park, in the rain... I do 2 or 3 5k's a week, but only once on a treadmill have I done 10k, in 1hr 3. My target is to do it in under an hour. (My best 5k is about 27:30) Anyone got any tips?
Best of luck! As it's your first 10k I would say to not put too much pressure on yourself to get a certain time. Aiming to finish without taking any breaks is usually my goal when I first step up to a longer distance. If you do want to go for sub 1hr then it sounds possible but only just. For elites the general rule for a 10k time is to double the 5k and add 1 minute. As they are going about twice as quick as you I'd add 2 minutes instead, so I guess you'd finish in 57 minutes.

I would try to settle into a comfortable rhythm within the first 1km. I'm not sure how the race will be set up for social distancing but it's important to start with runners aiming for a similar time to you. It's very easy at the start to get dragged along by faster runners into a pace that feels ok at first but after a couple of km you will be out of steam.

Soldato
Thanks guys, yeah, we have quite a range of people from work running, one of which is a similar pace to me, so I will be aiming to finish just in front of them :) I know I need to stay ahead of 6 minute Km, which I can keep an eye on on my watch. I believe it's reasonably flat too, so I think I can.

Back
Top Bottom