• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Not really liking all this emphasis on backwards compatibility. Really don’t want another console of remasters and the like. Would be nice to have some games to wow at launch showing what a 12 teraflop GPU can do. Replaying the same games again with better FPS just does not interest me. Hopefully the newer games like Cyberpunk etc will make use of the system.

What makes you think there will be remasters? Most of the backwards compatibility stuff is on Game Pass and it's the original stuff. Sony are the one's remastering given that they led their showcase with GTA5 REMASTERED. Microsoft's focus has been on original titles being playable on the new Xboxes and playable really well.

Soldato

This breakdown makes the Series X look so damn impressive. They've really packed a huge amount of power into this console, and backwards compatibility is transformed in the games he's tested. It's definitely worth a watch.

Soldato
A bit late to the party there @CHokKA , but yes, totally agree. All that improvement is based on "emulation" and not even games coded to take advantage of the hardware ... that's pretty insane.

I know it was already posted a few pages back. I only had chance to watch it this evening and wanted to highlight it for others that might have missed it because it's an incredibly good breakdown! It shows what Microsoft's focus is, and how they're truly interested in letting us, the consumer, continue to experience games that were amazing many years ago in a way that's good today. I think Sony have totally missed a trick with their lack of full backward compatibility.

Soldato
What makes you think there will be remasters? Most of the backwards compatibility stuff is on Game Pass and it's the original stuff. Sony are the one's remastering given that they led their showcase with GTA5 REMASTERED. Microsoft's focus has been on original titles being playable on the new Xboxes and playable really well.

Im just hoping we don’t get another generation of remasters like this one. Hopefully with all the studios MS have purchased we will get some decent original games. I understand that most of the talk is backwards compatibility rather than remaster but the biggest selling point of the console seems to be about how well it can play your existing games. Still have a few weeks to go yet so see what happens.

Soldato
I want to see some comparisons between the original Xbox one and the Series X. Everyone's comparing to the One X but as an OG owner I want to see the leap it will give me

Soldato
That’s pretty impressive does the ps5 offer the same thing?

If I remember correctly, the PS5 won't be fully backwards compatible to PS4, with that being kept to select titles and the same goes for PS3 and beyond. I don't believe there will be a lot of room for enhancement and certainly nothing like the AI-powered HDR, etc. Sony is very much sticking to keeping consoles generational.

Soldato
I want to see some comparisons between the original Xbox one and the Series X. Everyone's comparing to the One X but as an OG owner I want to see the leap it will give me

He did some One S comparisons in that Digital Foundry video above. Games that were running at 28fps on the Xbox One S would be running at a locked 60fps on the Xbox Series X.

Soldato
On another note, I tried keyboard and mouse on call of duty earlier. Really weird playing Xbox with keyboard and mouse.

I was wondering what the deal would be with Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda, so emailed Phil Spencer (not the Kirsty sidekick) and asked if they would update Doom / Wolfenstien etc k&m support for the series s / x. Surprisingly he replied saying he'll push more titles through, so fingers crossed.

Caporegime
That DF video is impressive. So essentially, you can play virtually anything from Xbox One and it will be locked at 60fps at 4k by the looks of it.

It is even more impressive when you consider that the games arent even coded for the Series X hardware as well.

Soldato
Wow I'm really impressed by the capabilities of the Series X from those videos and that Microsoft are pre showing so much is good signs they are really happy and confident about their product

Associate
Microsoft have learnt from the disastrous xbone launch and are going all out this time, coupling a powerful system with tonnes of software innovation, just can't wait to see some "proper" games designed for the system

Soldato
That DF video is impressive. So essentially, you can play virtually anything from Xbox One and it will be locked at 60fps at 4k by the looks of it.

It is even more impressive when you consider that the games arent even coded for the Series X hardware as well.

Nah. Loads of Xbox One stuff has a hard 30fps limit. Either the developer, or Microsoft, need to tweak things to get past that. But it has to be done on a per-game basis (for now; they're trying to build an ML solution to do it on the fly). DF didn't cover 30fps titles very much as they aren't interesting to bench.

Soldato

Well, 60fps depending on what way the game was made originally, IE unlocked frame rates, and 4K upscaling, though it seems they have done some cleaver work with that.

Associate
Not really liking all this emphasis on backwards compatibility. Really don’t want another console of remasters and the like. Would be nice to have some games to wow at launch showing what a 12 teraflop GPU can do. Replaying the same games again with better FPS just does not interest me. Hopefully the newer games like Cyberpunk etc will make use of the system.

The thing is, if MS can get games released years ago looking better and with increased FPS, there isnt really a need for remasters. So I think what they are doing is the opposite of remasters. I think :)

Caporegime
OP
The thing is, if MS can get games released years ago looking better and with increased FPS, there isnt really a need for remasters. So I think what they are doing is the opposite of remasters. I think :)

The missing thing I would say is the textures. If they can find a way to enhance the old textures with AI and make them look as if they are 4K, that would be the icing on the cake. A game from 2009 is still going to look pretty rubbish at 4K60 if the textures aren't up to scratch.

Back
Top Bottom