• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Nah. Loads of Xbox One stuff has a hard 30fps limit. Either the developer, or Microsoft, need to tweak things to get past that. But it has to be done on a per-game basis (for now; they're trying to build an ML solution to do it on the fly). DF didn't cover 30fps titles very much as they aren't interesting to bench.

He quite clearly stated it's not an exhaustive list he's done, and that they're all games that weren't frame-locked, or frame-locked to 60fps. He said that for each example he did. Even some 60fps frame-locked titles struggled to achieve 60fps on the One X but were locked to 60fps on the Series X. I think it's extremely impressive.

Soldato
The thing is, if MS can get games released years ago looking better and with increased FPS, there isnt really a need for remasters. So I think what they are doing is the opposite of remasters. I think :)

Yep, that's what I was trying to say. They have no need for remasters because existing games are on the Game Pass and they're being upscaled and improved through the backwards compatibility system. It's pretty amazing tbh.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
With regards to games made with the new series X in mind. I think the pandemic has pushed a lot of those games back to next year at the very least.

Sony are in a similar boat as most of their exclusives are dated for next year too.

However, at least with Xbox we have game pass. Its why I pre ordered the xbox, but not the ps5. I will wait until next year before picking one up

Soldato
I too am looking forward to playing the games I already play at 60FPS instead of a struggling 30.

RDR2 is a great example of a game I've not bothered with because of how it runs, I play my games on a 4K Freesync monitor that triggers between 40-60Hz. Most if not all 4K games cannot achieve that and have crazy motion blur and stuttering, it drives me mad.

If I play Tomb Raider or Forza H4 in performance mode their is no blur at all. That's my main reason for upgrading. Of course I'll also be looking forward to those true next gen titles built for the Series X too.

Soldato
Im just hoping we don’t get another generation of remasters like this one. Hopefully with all the studios MS have purchased we will get some decent original games. I understand that most of the talk is backwards compatibility rather than remaster but the biggest selling point of the console seems to be about how well it can play your existing games. Still have a few weeks to go yet so see what happens.
Of course, they are going to drip feed us info over the coming weeks. I'd say proper series X gameplay will be 1-2 weeks before release.

This will just be the beginning.

Soldato
I thought about getting some 360 games I never played and or want to play with upgrade. On music magpie you can get 4 for £8 which is decent. If they end up one game pass it's not like I've lost a lot.

Soldato
Will all xbox live digital content be backwards compatible? Things like Rare replay I play quite often so would be nice if those games worked.

I'd say it's best to check this on a game-by-game basis, however, I know that the Rockstar digital games all displayed a little Series X / S compatible logo at the bottom. Same situation for Morrowind and Oblivion when I looked at those, although with that recent announcement, those are less of a surprise. :)

Caporegime
Yep, that's what I was trying to say. They have no need for remasters because existing games are on the Game Pass and they're being upscaled and improved through the backwards compatibility system. It's pretty amazing tbh.

Well, i do hope there are some remasters (as long as they are free updates :p) because no doubt when coded for properly, the performance will be loads better than just this simple backwards compatible thing.

Soldato
Looking forward to Digital Foundry getting the Series S if it can do everything the Series X can at 1440p I think I'll be going for it

The S will be running the Xbox One version of games, so resolutions at or below 1080p; lower than the console's next gen target. I'd hope frame rates would be even more stable on Series S than they were on Series X. If it isn't at least as good as Series X (relatively) then that would be quite concerning.

Soldato
The S will be running the Xbox One version of games, so resolutions at or below 1080p; lower than the console's next gen target. I'd hope frame rates would be even more stable on Series S than they were on Series X. If it isn't at least as good as Series X (relatively) then that would be quite concerning.
Thats simply not true. Here is some confirmation
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eu...is-how-xbox-series-s-back-compat-really-works
Kicking off with games running on the vintage 2001 Xbox - the 'OG' machine - we've confirmed that Xbox Series S will run these games at an enhanced resolution. There's a 3x boost to resolution on both axes, meaning that titles targeting 480p on the original machine will hit a maximum of 1440p on Series S, presumably with a range of performance benefits. The good news continues with the enhanced Xbox 360 titles that were released for Xbox One X. These games will also be enhanced for Series S, this time running with a 2x2 resolution multiplier, bringing titles that ran at native 720p up to 1440p. While this doesn't match the max 4K we saw on Xbox One X, there is the potential for improved performance elsewhere thanks to the much faster Zen 2 CPU architecture. In scenarios where Xbox One X was limited by its Jaguar CPU cores, Series S has much more headroom.
So resolution improvement to 1440p as well as higher fps and auto HDR. Probably textures improved too.

Back
Top Bottom