Daughters been given a Macbook. Advice

Soldato
Hello my 13 year old daughter has been given a macbook air by her uncle as he is upgraded his Macbook.

She has been using a window 7 laptop for the last couple of years for school work and using Microsoft office programs.

What is the equivalent of Microsoft office for Mac book please. As she needs word and excel etc or equivalent

Thanks

And any other advice you may feel I need setting this up for. She has a iPhone as well.

Soldato
It’s OS agnostic. Shouldn’t make any difference whatsoever what OS you’re using.

And don’t install Windows on the Mac. It can be done but its not the nicest of experiences.

Soldato
Shouldn't create any issues signing in with your work email. By doing so would give her full access to all 365 apps, whilst also giving her access as if she was you, to things like Teams, OneDrive, etc. They can be uninstalled I do believe, although I'm not sure what impact it would have on the rest of Office. If these are things you don't use or are happy to trust her, then no problem. :)

Caporegime
I see no reason to install Windows.
Because Mac OS is horrible to use. At least, if you are anything more than a casual user. And I say that as someone who used to work for an Apple licenced company and used the machines every day. :p

Its like someone took a late 80's graphical operating system and made it incredibly beautiful but didn't bother improving the functionality. So many actions and workflows are totally nonsensical and cack handed and so many features which make life easy are totally missing... Last time I used Mac OS you couldn't even maximise windows let alone snap them, for example.

And if she grows up to do a job that involves using a computer, it will be a Windows computer. Spending her formative years using Mac OS isn't going to be helpful IMO.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Because Mac OS is horrible to use. At least, if you are anything more than a casual user. And I say that as someone who used to work for an Apple licenced company and used the machines every day. :p

Its like someone took a late 80's graphical operating system and made it incredibly beautiful but didn't bother improving the functionality. So many actions and workflows are totally nonsensical and cack handed and so many features which make life easy are totally missing... Last time I used Mac OS you couldn't even maximise windows let alone snap them, for example.

And if she grows up to do a job that involves using a computer, it will be a Windows computer. Spending her formative years using Mac OS isn't going to be helpful IMO.
In your opinion. I use macOS and Windows 10, side by side, daily. And have done for about 6+ years. I much prefer macOS to do anything productive. The only reason I have Windows 10 is to play games and do the odd Visio diagram.

Soldato

I’ve been using MacOS for over seven years now and I’ve always been able to maximise windows. Sounds like your experience is way out of date.

Caporegime
I’ve been using MacOS for over seven years now and I’ve always been able to maximise windows. Sounds like your experience is way out of date.

Mountain Lion was when I last used it properly and certain apps just started having the functionality, Lion didn't have it at all. Sounds like you started using it just after they started adding common sense features, a decade or two after everyone else. For context Windows 7 came out 2 years prior to Lion. :p

I've only lightly used more recent versions, but it is 90% the same as it was over a decade ago.

Let's not start a macOS vs Windows debate please.
Sorry boss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom