Using same modular cables with same make/brand of PSU

Associate
Hi,

I'm currently running a 650w Seasonic Focus Plus Modular 80+ Gold PSU which I bought in December 18. I'm thinking about replacing it with a 850w Seasonic Focus Plus Modular 80+ Gold PSU in preparation for nabbing a 3080.

Am I insane for thinking that, as it's the same PSU make/model, I could just replace the PSU unit and not replace the cables themselves, or would I be best using the new cables too? From what I remember when I built this PC it was a pain getting all the cables where they needed to be, so would prefer to not have to. But I also don't want to do any damage to the PC either!

Soldato
As long as the pin layout is the same, it will be fine, but I would triple check the pin layouts as you could end up with problems.

I did this with a silverstone to a corsair unit, nothing died, but the pin layout was different so it didn't send power. I imagine it's all the same seeing as it's the same model just higher wattage but its worth checking the pin layout.

Associate
OP
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, although at the mo I'm leaning towards just replacing them to ensure no issues.

How would I check the pin layout? Would that just be checking both cables to ensure the same colour wire is going to the same place on each?

Soldato
Seasonic website should list them in the guides, at least Corsair did.

Failing that you might find it also on reviews of the psu itself, sometimes they go in depth of the psu and discuss pin layouts.

Associate
OP
I've had a look about, couldn't find anything. Think I'll just replace the cables to be on the safe side, take a bit longer but worth it in the end I guess!

Associate
Consider if replacement is actually required. There's been a few reviews done testing PSUs with these new GPUs, including running a 3080 and an overclocked 10900k on multiple SFX 650w psus without any issue. Now yours being ATX and a top brand like Seasonic, it'll most likely handle it without any issue.

Associate
OP
Interesting, I'll have a look into that.

I do O/C my i5-9600k a bit, but guessing it's not taking as much power as a 19-10900k though, I do have 2 ssd's and 3 hdd's too though, as well as charge a couple of devices, which will add on to the requirements.

Probably better having a little too much than a not enough.

Associate
OP
Just in case it helps anyone in future, I contacted Seasonic about this (probably should have done that in the first place!) and got this reply

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Seasonic.

The FOCUS Plus and the FOCUS GX share the same pinouts on PSU side so you can simply swap the PSU and it's all good.
Just note that the FOCUS GX is now provided with black and flat cables without any inline capacitors. It may be more convenient for the cable management.

Any other question or assistance, please let us know.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom