• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
I know people will probably laugh at this - what is the opinion on "extended warranty" regarding the PS5.
Now before you laugh too much, let me just clarify. PS5 is new technology, there is no doubt here. Generally speaking these devices are very well tested and they don't suffer from any issues - but occasionally things do happen.
That 1yr warranty only covers you for that - one year.

Now shopping around, extended warranty is usually silly money and I agree, you'd be better off putting some money aside if you really are worried or just replace the item if it were to fail.
On Amazon I notice they sell a "Protect your bubble" policy on games consoles costing £400 - £449.99.
£30 policy - covers you for 2yrs after the manufacturers warranty runs out and also covers you for 3yrs accidental damage.

The only reason this even crossed my mind was that we purchased a similar policy for our PS4 Pro - during some decorating my wife managed to drop said console from quite a height. Within 10 days we had a replacement console.
Just gauging the level of laughter :)

Associate
I know people will probably laugh at this - what is the opinion on "extended warranty" regarding the PS5.
Now before you laugh too much, let me just clarify. PS5 is new technology, there is no doubt here. Generally speaking these devices are very well tested and they don't suffer from any issues - but occasionally things do happen.
That 1yr warranty only covers you for that - one year.

Now shopping around, extended warranty is usually silly money and I agree, you'd be better off putting some money aside if you really are worried or just replace the item if it were to fail.
On Amazon I notice they sell a "Protect your bubble" policy on games consoles costing £400 - £449.99.
£30 policy - covers you for 2yrs after the manufacturers warranty runs out and also covers you for 3yrs accidental damage.

The only reason this even crossed my mind was that we purchased a similar policy for our PS4 Pro - during some decorating my wife managed to drop said console from quite a height. Within 10 days we had a replacement console.
Just gauging the level of laughter :)
£30 for 3 year accidental damage and 2 more years warranty (albeit with another company)? Sounds good value to me.

Associate
I would double check exactly what it covers you for but the 2yrs additional warranty for 30 pounds seems good. Also remember that accidental damage is likely already covered under your home contents insurance...

Associate
Well - in the absence of laughter - a link to the item in question is here:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083Y15Z9M
If you go directly to the Vendor you cannot get anywhere near that price. I'm not a massive fan of extended warranty - we've all dodged one at Currys etc. But £15 per years 2/3 doesn't seem too bad.
Biggest limitation is "three repairs over a 12 month period" by looks.

So is this on top of the 1yr Warranty provided by Sony? I.E comes into effect after Sony's warranty expires?

EDIT:

Didn't read the details...
  • Up to 2-year breakdown cover (starting at the end of your product’s first year manufacturer guarantee)

Soldato
Well - in the absence of laughter - a link to the item in question is here:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083Y15Z9M
If you go directly to the Vendor you cannot get anywhere near that price. I'm not a massive fan of extended warranty - we've all dodged one at Currys etc. But £15 per years 2/3 doesn't seem too bad.
Biggest limitation is "three repairs over a 12 month period" by looks.

That does genuinely seem like a decent deal, especially as it appears there is no excess.

Associate
Just had a look back on my Amazon order to see if I could add easily - I don't dare click view/edit order for losing my place in the queue!

Soldato
Just had a look back on my Amazon order to see if I could add easily - I don't dare click view/edit order for losing my place in the queue!

I'm going to place a separate order for it now - no way I'm going to risk adding it to my PS5 order (that is why I currently have separate outstanding orders for PS5, Additional Controller, Charging Station, Media Remote - I ordered each one individually as to not upset the previous order!)
Doesn't say has to be purchased at same time as console - says it kicks in at purchase or when your console arrives, whichever is later.

Associate
I'm going to place a separate order for it now - no way I'm going to risk adding it to my PS5 order (that is why I currently have separate outstanding orders for PS5, Additional Controller, Charging Station, Media Remote - I ordered each one individually as to not upset the previous order!)
Doesn't say has to be purchased at same time as console - says it kicks in at purchase or when your console arrives, whichever is later.

Ah, didn't realise until I read your post and clicked the link provided above. Think I will go for this too for the peace of mind...

Soldato
So is this on top of the 1yr Warranty provided by Sony? I.E comes into effect after Sony's warranty expires?

EDIT:

Didn't read the details...
  • Up to 2-year breakdown cover (starting at the end of your product’s first year manufacturer guarantee)
Think I'll get that myself, can't seem to find answer though, do I have to buy it now or can I get it when I get the ps5?

Soldato
What are we thinking the cooling system might be ? A blower type system this time around ? I could see this being the case because of the size of the thing ! Or maybe larger fans ?

Back
Top Bottom