Retro console and games thread

Man of Honour
Wow this thread has got so quiet, everyone given up on the collecting?

I have to admit I am tempted to start trimming my collection down. I just don't get time any more

I have absolutely nothing left now. Unless you count a PlayStation 3 and a copy of Gran Turismo 6

The last few (22) PlayStation 2 games sold about a month ago.

I don't even watch any retro gaming channels on YouTube anymore. Most of them turned out to be nothing more than e-beggers or left YouTube altogether.

I do fire up Retroarch now and again a play the odd game of MUSHA. But mostly don't play games of any description anymore. My gaming PC is still rocking a 4th generation Intel and a GTX 980.

Soldato
I have updated the pc again and I play on e or twice a week with friends and it's 99% of the time on the pc. I have the Wii U, PS4 and Xbox one in the lounge for the family and as media centre

All my other consoles are boxed up and in the loft or cupboards.....makes me wonder if I should be selling them on myself. Sold a load of kit to a friend a few months back already......

Man of Honour
I’ve got Spyro 1, 2 and 3 (platinums) still factory sealed for PS1 that I’m looking to sell on. I’ve seen there’s several available on eBay but they’re going for what I think is silly money (£100-£300.) What’s a realistic price for each and is there a better place to sell them?

Look at sold items on ebay, there isn't many.
Original release of Spyro 2 went for £330.
Spyro Year of the Dragon Platinum and Spyro 2 Original release went for £45. All sealed.

Soldato
Wow this thread has got so quiet, everyone given up on the collecting?

I have to admit I am tempted to start trimming my collection down. I just don't get time any more

I had to store my limited collection of consoles and games away when we set up a 2nd nursery for out baba!

Have kept the Gamecube installed downstairs to a modern TV with a snazzy HDMI solution but otherwise I haven't much use out of my kit right now.

I sold some N64 games the other week and a few GC ones. I looked at them and just thought "I'm literally never going to play this again" :D

Soldato
This is literally me right now!

More so for the "higher ticket" ones. I dont really have many that fetch large amounts but I got rid of Paper Mario on the GC for £90, Animal Crossing on GC for £55, Smash Bros on N64 for like £65 too.

Put it towards a Rift S ;)... which has been unused for 3 weeks now

I'll regret it in 5 years

Caporegime
I have been having an itch to play N64 recently especially as my daughter is coming of age and it really did the 4 player split screen the best. Seeing as the mini looks miles away and emulation has always been touch and go due to the strange hardware the N64 used I am looking to do my own setup.

Japanese N64's are dirt cheap and if I can get an early one it is also cheap to RGB mod. With a UK power supply and RGB cable I am looking at £100 all in which seems the best picture I am going to get without spending silly amounts. Does that sound good or does anyone recommend another way?

Caporegime
More so for the "higher ticket" ones. I dont really have many that fetch large amounts but I got rid of Paper Mario on the GC for £90, Animal Crossing on GC for £55, Smash Bros on N64 for like £65 too.

Put it towards a Rift S ;)... which has been unused for 3 weeks now

I'll regret it in 5 years

When I went to Australia I picked up Animal Crossing as it was PAL and at the time not released in Europe. Still got the $ sale ticket on the case. The memory card has all my RE saves on it though!

Soldato
I have been having an itch to play N64 recently especially as my daughter is coming of age and it really did the 4 player split screen the best. Seeing as the mini looks miles away and emulation has always been touch and go due to the strange hardware the N64 used I am looking to do my own setup.

Japanese N64's are dirt cheap and if I can get an early one it is also cheap to RGB mod. With a UK power supply and RGB cable I am looking at £100 all in which seems the best picture I am going to get without spending silly amounts. Does that sound good or does anyone recommend another way?

This is exactly what I've tried to do, still need to finish the rgb soldering as well that's fiddy if you don't really know what you're doing... On the plus side all the 60hz picture was worth it (even via composite). The Uk psu works perfectly on a NTSC console :)

Keep an eye out for a UK based console to save some cash on postage, plus you'll end up spending more on the rgb scart cable than the mod chip!

Caporegime
This is exactly what I've tried to do, still need to finish the rgb soldering as well that's fiddy if you don't really know what you're doing... On the plus side all the 60hz picture was worth it (even via composite). The Uk psu works perfectly on a NTSC console :)

Keep an eye out for a UK based console to save some cash on postage, plus you'll end up spending more on the rgb scart cable than the mod chip!

I already have the RGB cable on my gamecube :). Also what's the difference between all the everdrive cartridges. So many different versions?

Soldato
I already have the RGB cable on my gamecube :). Also what's the difference between all the everdrive cartridges. So many different versions?

Very good, is it the sync on luma or csync one? Just got to make sure you wire the 64 rgb board to do the same :)

For the everdrives:
2.5 - region is managed with a switch, can't emulate the real time clock, built in cheat features, I think lacks support for Pokemon Stadium 2 and one other random title with some funky memory management trickery/the real time clock
3 - region is managed with a switch, added real time clock, built in cheat things, supports all titles, has a us port for development
x7 - this is the mega do everything one that can auto detect region as well as all the things the 3 can do/2.5 can't

If you're going down that route try and find a second and v3 by the looks of it, the x7 is pretty steep

Soldato
What options have you got for the N64 if you don't want to crack it open? If I plug RCA in to my TV atm, I get ghosting, and my AV amp does not like the small resolution it outputs

Soldato
What options have you got for the N64 if you don't want to crack it open? If I plug RCA in to my TV atm, I get ghosting, and my AV amp does not like the small resolution it outputs
Pretty much zero. You need to get it modded for it to be of any use in 2020.
Places like 8bitmods will do the work for you for a small fee.

Caporegime
Very good, is it the sync on luma or csync one? Just got to make sure you wire the 64 rgb board to do the same :)

For the everdrives:
2.5 - region is managed with a switch, can't emulate the real time clock, built in cheat features, I think lacks support for Pokemon Stadium 2 and one other random title with some funky memory management trickery/the real time clock
3 - region is managed with a switch, added real time clock, built in cheat things, supports all titles, has a us port for development
x7 - this is the mega do everything one that can auto detect region as well as all the things the 3 can do/2.5 can't

If you're going down that route try and find a second and v3 by the looks of it, the x7 is pretty steep

This is the one that i bought a couple of years ago from retro gaming gables. It is "sync over cvbs" so not really sure what that means. If I have to buy another cable it is no big deal however.

eAaxHVS.jpg

Caporegime

Pre-modded ones are available from auction sites for £89 but are bare consoles. On top of that you would need to buy a controller, RGB cable and power supply. If you can solder uk based japanese consoles are £35 and £20 for the RGB chip but you need to get an early console to have the easy method of soldering.

Associate
Got given this yesterday, my partners sister seen a house clearning van next door and asked if she could have it for her little one and they said "help yourself its as its only heading to the tip" :eek:.
xW2h3CWm.jpg
L5vf6mPm.jpg
QyavAOum.jpg
U3ZAGcqm.jpg

Her boy had no interest in it so now i have it :D. Still i wonder what else was taken to the tip :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom