Gigabyte G34WQC - 1440p ultrawide

Associate
Is there any news on when this monitor will be back in stock? Really want to get one but no store anywhere has them up in stock!
Customer service advised me early to mid October.

Scan has stopped new orders, and Amazon are out of stock. Seems like OC is the only site that's holding them in the UK.

I'd get a pre-order in, as there possibly won't be many free stock going.

Associate
Customer service advised me early to mid October.

Scan has stopped new orders, and Amazon are out of stock. Seems like OC is the only site that's holding them in the UK.

I'd get a pre-order in, as there possibly won't be many free stock going.

Just purchased, fingers crossed I manage to get the early october stock

Associate
I tried changing the display port version to 1.2 and back to 1.4 as suggest in a previous post and i am still getting the flickering. I tested the panel at 100hz and 60hz but the panel still flickered. Going to be sending this back and saving my pennies for a better monitor, probably the LG 38GL950G.

Associate
I tried changing the display port version to 1.2 and back to 1.4 as suggest in a previous post and i am still getting the flickering. I tested the panel at 100hz and 60hz but the panel still flickered. Going to be sending this back and saving my pennies for a better monitor, probably the LG 38GL950G.
for 3x the price..I'd just turn off g-sync (if your graphics card is powerful enough to do 1440p 100+ fps).

Soldato
Just thinking... if they were to update the firmware of this to fix flickering (as has been done with other models), would it involve having to send off the monitor as there is no USB port to update the firmware?

Associate
for 3x the price..I'd just turn off g-sync (if your graphics card is powerful enough to do 1440p 100+ fps).

For me that's not really the point. If it says gsync compatible i expect gsync to work. I took a chance on this monitor and it didn't pay off. Maybe they will release a firmware update or something but for me it is not worth keeping coming from a 2560x1440 165hz monitor. I will just save and get a monitor on the gsync list that won't flicker.

Soldato
For me that's not really the point. If it says gsync compatible i expect gsync to work. I took a chance on this monitor and it didn't pay off. Maybe they will release a firmware update or something but for me it is not worth keeping coming from a 2560x1440 165hz monitor. I will just save and get a monitor on the gsync list that won't flicker.
It is meant to be officially G sync compatible, Nvidia should be certifying very soon.

Soldato
how will nvidia certify it if it...flickers though

that will fail the tests they perform to check it
That's what I mean, Gigabyte had it advertised as g sync compatible so they should be pretty sure it is. That's why when Nvidia officially certify it they may release a driver update for it or gigabyte may release a firmware update.

Associate
Seeing the flickering in some games now, so it is more of an issue than I originally thought.

I’d assumed it would happen when frame rates were around the 48fps mark (and it does), but it is actually also happening at a variety of frame rates - often it seems to be the upper end rates causing the flickering.

it’s a shame because when it’s working the monitor looks really good, and I like the format.

I’m going to try swapping over the cable etc to see if that makes any difference, but if not I’m going to have to consider whether I keep it.

Associate
Just thinking... if they were to update the firmware of this to fix flickering (as has been done with other models), would it involve having to send off the monitor as there is no USB port to update the firmware?

Iiyama introduced a firmware update to remove really bad instances of flickering (in windows, for example) but I have their variant of the monitor and it still occurs in a lot of dark static scenarios - such as in-game menus.

Unfortunately it seems that every monitor with this panel is affected, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix unfortunately :( I'm considering switching to 'fast v-sync' rather than 'freesync' to get rid of the problem even though this seems to lead to a frame-rate hit - and likely an input lag hit too.

Associate
disappointing to hear so many flicker confirmations, think i will cancel my pre-order of it until the dust settles

it seems there is no real fix for this panel and its flickering, whatever the variant (Gigabyte, AOC, Iiyama)

if gigabyte pulled the gsync compatible info from their website there must be a good reason, ie. it does not work

if the monitor is with nvidia for certification, then how can it pass the g-sync certified test, if there are tons of users reporting flickering, surely it wont pass g-sync certification at all then?

Associate
if gigabyte pulled the gsync compatible info from their website there must be a good reason, ie. it does not work

if the monitor is with nvidia for certification, then how can it pass the g-sync certified test, if there are tons of users reporting flickering, surely it wont pass g-sync certification at all then?

Yea i totally agree with this, i dont think they're waiting for certification, i believe it was removed because of the flickering. What company would not get something certified well in advance of release?

Associate
Hey all, I've been reading this topic with great interest after having owned an IIyama GB3466WQSU for a short time.
I had my hopes this model would work flawlessly, but I understand many are having Freesync issues too.

I wouldn't pay to much attention on the removal of the g-sync compatibility label though. One of the criteria to pass Nividia's certification is quite laughable.. saying the monitor has to enable Freesync with default settings.
Which in practice means an auto fail for the majority of screens. Hooray for g-sync right ;).

Unfortunatly it's really hard to find the source of the flickering problems. Videocard drivers and games themselves are big factors for sure.
I had an 5700XT on loan with the IIyama and Freesync worked fine for the bigger part.
Only in game menu's, loading screens and a few older games would show flickering.
Combined with a 1080Ti on the other hand gave nothing but trouble.

At the moment i'm trying to figure out which scalers are used in each screen. The IIyama has an MStar one and the AOC uses a Realtek one as far as I could gather.
Is there an owner who is able & willing to acces the service menu or use softMCCS to determine what brand and/or type is used on the Gigabyte G34WQC?
My assumption is the issues are more related to the scaler then the actual screen itself, since many other 16:9 144Hz VA's screens work without any issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom