Best restaurant you have ever eaten at?

Soldato
Probably Core by Claire Smith with the "Core Apple" (look it up) my favourite dish.

For something moderately priced I thought Bancone was fantastic and probably the best Italian I've had outside of Italy.

Soldato
I have got two which were both perfect.
Marcus Wareing six courser (he was in the kitchen), and Simon Rogan ten courser ( guess what?).
Best dish was a rhubarb pudding after a lancashire cheese pre-desert by Wareing. There you go.

Don
I went o Marcus a year ot 2 ago and thought it was very poor, it's also lost star recently

None of my absolute favourites are in UK but I would say Alchemilla is prob my fav UK one

I hopefully will try Core soon, had it planned last year only to find out they were shut do the NH carnival

Associate
Lots of people like Marcus, but I too thought it was over-rated.
Too many great ones to choose from, but in no particular order....

Eleven Madison Park - the whole tasting menu!
Momofuku Ko - BBQ seared beef
The Ritz (the best cooking in London!) - everything, but the Langustines are incredible
Core by Clare Smith (2nd best in London) - the whole menu was superb
Restaurant Nathan Outlaw - anything they put in the crab and Porthilly sauce!!!
Hedone (unfortunately now gone) - Hare à la Royale
Restaurant Gordon Ramsey - Pigeon, the best I've eaten.

Soldato
Having eaten at numerous 3 stars, I still think the best food I've had is on a plastic chair on a street in various restaurants in Vietnam... Depends how you measure 'best'. Sure, Eleven Madison Park was an experience and it's undoubtedly amazing food. But it's £1000 for two. That surely tarnishes it. I've had some of the best char sui from a vendor in a shopping centre basement for £2 which left me just as happy with the food as Eleven did. Likewise, Le Bernardin is regarded as one of the best fish restaurants in the world. However, fruits de mer on a harbourside in a French town with a glass of crisp Chablis is hard to beat and it's what, a fifth of the price?

Soldato
about 20 years ago in a restaurant which had to close after they killed one of the waiters. Terrible health and safety accident, which ended up in him being electrocuted

simply the best fillet steak I have ever had, absolute perfection

Associate
There's a relatively small Indian restaurant close to the monkey forest in Ubud, Bali where we had quite possibly, the best curries we have ever had.

It was expensive by UK pricing, let alone Indonesia however I'd happily pay the £600 air fare to eat at that restaurant again!

Associate
OP
Having done the Michelin star thing to death, I have found more you pay does not = better food. Or at least, satisfaction.

The more exclusive place usually has a quieter setting, more ambience but in a way it is almost claustrophobic because it feels like all eyes is on you.

Thank you for the valuable input. Your comment is relatable regarding ambience.

Back
Top Bottom