• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What to expect from AMD on October 8th?

Soldato
Yes.
Better margins is in server space though so dunno how this translates to desktop.

They've been making gains on Intel and might have even surpassed them by now in the self build/consumer parts market, there's a chance they'll keep prices down if only for the PR it brings.

Soldato
They've been making gains on Intel and might have even surpassed them by now in the self build/consumer parts market, there's a chance they'll keep prices down if only for the PR it brings.

I think at some point AMD will have to increase CPU margins inline with Intel, and possible increase Radeon margins to Nvidia, although next year Intel will likely drive large parts of the add in graphics market.

Soldato
I think at some point AMD will have to increase CPU margins inline with Intel, and possible increase Radeon margins to Nvidia, although next year Intel will likely drive large parts of the add in graphics market.

Very likely, but for now having stats they can use to make themselves look more impressive against those much bigger companies will not only improve their public facing image but could be helpful with getting prebuild companies and laptop manufacturers on side, not to mention the server and workstation markets.

I don't think we'll see any noticeable price jumps until the move to AM5, where it'll be easier for them to justify.

Caporegime
AMD won't miss a change to put prices up. It's not like they haven't done it in the past. E.g. the super expensive 7970 until nV responded some weeks later.

8c/16t for £400+, matching the 3800XT RRP. Would not be in the least surprised by this.

Soldato
I think it gets brought up, because AMD are the CPU darlings of the moment and can do no wrong.
We're getting so much for the money as AMD are still on the comeback stage I guess? Once they're where they need to be, it'll be skyrocketing prices.

Soldato
Once they're where they need to be, it'll be skyrocketing prices.
Not sure about that. Once AMD get to where they need to be, Intel should be back with some competition. Intel being Intel will charge stoooooooooooooopid money of course so AMD will still have to fight the value battle as well.

Earliest I see this is Zen 4 vs Alder Lake, so that's 2022, but I'm not sure AMD will risk their momentum and optics by price gouging for a year.

Associate
Hi, might be a dumb question,I was looking out for the 4700x but is the 5800x the same thing? Although one model higher, and would it be compatible with the tomahawk max b450?

Yes, it seems the 4000 series will now be the 5000 series.

It "appears" AMD may not be releasing a 5700X this time, probably because the performance is so similar between the 3700X and 3800X.

The 5800X should work fine with your MB but will probably require a BIOS update first.

Soldato

It "appears" AMD may not be releasing a 5700X this time, probably because the performance is so similar between the 3700X and 3800X.

The 5800X should work fine with your MB but will probably require a BIOS update first.
If the reports of them offering a 10 core version are true they should repurposed the x800 SKU for the 10 core variant IMO and keep the x900 as 12, x700 as 8 cores and x600 are 6.

Soldato
If the reports of them offering a 10 core version are true they should repurposed the x800 SKU for the 10 core variant IMO and keep the x900 as 12, x700 as 8 cores and x600 are 6.
Which is logical and something I've suggested myself elsewhere. Somebody did offer an alternative in having the x700 as a 4x2 arrangement and x800 as a 8x1, and the 10 core being x850. Not sure I like that idea, but the 3100 and 3300X would be a rough example of how the two 8 core SKUs would perform compared to each other.

But frankly I think AMD would be better served using 4 core chiplets in Ryzen 3s and Athlons.

Associate
Be nice if amd take the gaming crown from intel it will push intel to come back stronger, it will really make these cpu's worth getting. As to price rise I would expect AMD to do what they've done before and charge a fair chunk more. The amd 64 cpu, I remember the fx60 was a very expensive cpu for its time when it's was better than anything from intel.
Most us just bought opteron processors and overclocked them with the fsb beating fx60 anyway for half the price which was pretty funny for us not fx60 owners

Soldato
AMD won't miss a change to put prices up. It's not like they haven't done it in the past. E.g. the super expensive 7970 until nV responded some weeks later.

8c/16t for £400+, matching the 3800XT RRP. Would not be in the least surprised by this.

This,as they did it during the Athlon 64 era,which reduced the pressure on Intel. Then we saw what happened after that. They really need to prioritise both marketshare and mindshare when they can. The moment Intel even remotely bounces back,there will be problems.

Caporegime

Yeah but the 3700x was (mostly) under £300 and the 5800X will be over £400, so be ready to get your wallets out :p

Back
Top Bottom