"Speed Limit for Air Quality"

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Couple days ago I was driving down the M6 (or could have been when I was on the M42) when the variables displayed 60 and a caption "Speed Limit for Air Quality".

Did a quick Google and it looks like they're trialing it to reduce NO2:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/air-quality/air-quality-speed-limit-trials/

What is the general consensus? Backwards step?

Should they just drop ALL cargo vehicle speeds to 55? We'd get a lane back at least!

How about the Tesla warriors? Do they go as fast as they want now? :D

I find this annoying.

Soldato
This has been on the M1 around Derby to Sheffield for quite a few years now, every morning at 9am the speed limit signs then switch to National so not sure it can be for air quality unless they know that the air cleans itself at 9am because as the clock ticks over cars don't suddenly disappear from the road

Soldato
This has been on the M1 around Derby to Sheffield for quite a few years now, every morning at 9am the speed limit signs then switch to National so not sure it can be for air quality unless they know that the air cleans itself at 9am because as the clock ticks over cars don't suddenly disappear from the road

That is to try and increase the traffic flow. Bunched up slow moving stop start traffic is pretty terrible for air quality.

Permabanned
I'm fine with a lower speed limit. Cars chew through a lot more fuel at higher speeds, and the same applies to EVs too, so the lower the limit the more efficient the whole system is. Add to that reducing pollution and improving safety, imo easily outweighs the extra journey time.

Don
I'm fine with a lower speed limit. Cars chew through a lot more fuel at higher speeds, and the same applies to EVs too, so the lower the limit the more efficient the whole system is. Add to that reducing pollution and improving safety, imo easily outweighs the extra journey time.

Let's be honest too, whilst we all hate the 50mph average speed roadworks, more often that not the traffic flows consistently and with lower accident rates.

Soldato
Doesn't bother me, I hate motorways & can't be bothered constantly changing lane so I just tend to stick left at about 60ish anyway and chill out.

I love driving but motorways are a chore.

Soldato
Let's be honest too, whilst we all hate the 50mph average speed roadworks, more often that not the traffic flows consistently and with lower accident rates.

I think just peak times a 60 would be fine (during actual rush hour, being able to do 60 is a blessing, as it can regularly be below 30). For off-peak times when there's minimal traffic on the road then keeping to a 60 doesn't make sense. With less vehicles on the road at that time there would be less pollution anyway.

Associate
They started the same in the NL in March. Was quite amusing hearing the the more militant driver groups saying "fine, if you want to lower the speed limit for the environment, then we'll stick to 3rd gear to balance it out."
:)

I'm fortunate in that I dont need to use the motorway for work. The times I have been on it, its horrible since all the lorries also do 60. This means that, technically you're not allowed to overtake them so youre stuck behind. Its not fun :/

Soldato
Couple days ago I was driving down the M6 (or could have been when I was on the M42) when the variables displayed 60 and a caption "Speed Limit for
Did a quick Google and it looks like they're trialing it to reduce NO2:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/air-quality/air-quality-speed-limit-trials/

What is the general consensus? Backwards step?

Should they just drop ALL cargo vehicle speeds to 55? We'd get a lane back at least!

How about the Tesla warriors? Do they go as fast as they want now? :D

I find this annoying.

Tesla warrior here and yes it’s utterly ridiculous. Why should I be penalised for people in old cars.

Back
Top Bottom