• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
You have: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32 High Performance Threads.

I wrote that out like that for gravitas, because it just incredible for a mainstream processor.
I sure do which is why im not itching for one on release etc , i got a nice boosting cpu regularly see 4.5 in games

Caporegime
If they drop the 3600 price down to like the 1600 did holy crap it would be deffo no brainer for any budget build haha. but the new chips coming are going to be Immense

Yeah i think the 3600 is going to hang around for a long while, like the 2600 did as a good solid £100'ish CPU, like the 2600 AMD will probably keep making it to fill that £100 segment.

Soldato
Oh I entirely agree, production capacity does indeed need priority for the most viable products first. The real picture though I think is more granular than most people are claiming. For instance, if Zen 3 chiplets are made using N7P and the consoles are made with N7+ then they're not going to interfere with each other so there's little risk of meeting console demand impacting Ryzen demand, which is one thing people are suggesting; consoles will stunt Ryzen release.

Also, and specifically talking about Ryzen here, it's not a case that AMD choose to make chiplets with a specified core count. The chiplet is always 8 cores and then get binned to determine which CPUs get made. It's entirely possible that once EPYC has been fully allocated (because server always comes first), the leftovers for Ryzen might see a massive bias towards 6 core chiplets. In such a case AMD would be able to make more 6 and 12 core SKUs than 8 core SKUs, so the launch day focus would beon the 5600X and 5900X, with 5700X as a low volume, token release. Conversely, the bulk of the binning may see 8 cores, so the 5700X will be front and centre, maybe with the 5900X taking a back seat in favour of the 5600X.

It'll all come down to the binning.

Again agree with all that.

My hunch would be that at launch the 6 core dies will go into making the 5900X as it's likely better margin than the 5600X when considering the IO die, packaging etc. The efficient 8 core bins can go off for EPYC and the leakier ones that can clock high can go to 3800X and give a relatively reasonable priced gaming chip that can kick intel in the nuts for the prestige factor.

That would explain the rumour of 3800X and 3900X launching first imo.

I would guess a significant number of gamers also won't be looking to go for anything less than 8 core for their next upgrade given the consoles moving the bar up in core count. 6 cores are likely to become more limiting over the next couple of years.

Soldato
That would explain the rumour of 3800X and 3900X launching first imo.
yeah, I forgot to say this since it was the entire reason I replied to you :p

I still have in the back of my mind though there won't be two 8 core SKUs again. Whatever AMD planned for the 3700X and 3800X never panned out since the 3800X offered little oomph over the 3700X, and certainly nothing to explain the higher TDP. Since the redesigned chiplet can now operate as 5 cores, I think there's a chance the 10 core rumour would come true at some point, so the 5700X is the only 8 core SKU with 5800X as 10 core.

But then, as discussed with somebody else earlier, there's also an outside chance of doing a 4x2 arrangement for 5700X and 8x1 arrangement for 5800X (see 3100 and 3300X for how those 4 core SKUs perform differently). 5850X as 10 core?

Soldato
If they want to make 8c/16t the new normal at some point down the line they'd actually need to make it affordable, if the lowest entry point is still £279+ then that won't push 8c/16t in to the mainstream volume segment, merely keep it how it has been for the last 3 years now. I feel that it would be with Zen4 this might be able to happen and the 5nm shrink, where they are able to make chiplets with more cores and therefore have a larger variation in quality/partially failed chiplets to make use of.

Soldato
@LePhuronn Yeah quite possible, although that benchmark shows a processor calling itself 5800X as an 8 core.

Would be interesting to see how a 1x8 would stack up against a 2x5... on the one hand you have the single unified 8 core CCD with probably lower latencies, on the other hand you have a stack load more cache and 2 more cores.

Soldato
Would be interesting to see how a 1x8 would stack up against a 2x5... on the one hand you have the single unified 8 core CCD with probably lower latencies, on the other hand you have a stack load more cache and 2 more cores.
This is why the 3100 v 3300X is a good example. They may be 1 chiplet each, but the 3100 has 2 cores on 2 CCXs, whereas the 3300X has 4 cores on 1 CCX. The latter therefore has no inter-CCX latency penalty. Zen 3 of course has no inter-CCX latency because it's a single 8 core CCX, but the 5800X would need to jump across the IO die for 1 batch of 5 cores to talk with the other batch, whereas the 5700X has no such restriction and all 8 cores can talk directly.

Soldato
Eh? 5800x is 8 core isn't it? Maybe you got them mixed up if talking about the 10 core.

I will be looking at game performance so if the 8 core is decently better because of lower latency I will get that instead of a 12+ core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom