"Speed Limit for Air Quality"

Caporegime
Couple days ago I was driving down the M6 (or could have been when I was on the M42) when the variables displayed 60 and a caption "Speed Limit for Air Quality".

Did a quick Google and it looks like they're trialing it to reduce NO2:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/air-quality/air-quality-speed-limit-trials/

What is the general consensus? Backwards step?

Should they just drop ALL cargo vehicle speeds to 55? We'd get a lane back at least!

How about the Tesla warriors? Do they go as fast as they want now? :D

I find this annoying.
Cargo vehicles (trucks) are already restricted to 89Km/h - 55mph - as for Vans, they can legally do 70 on a motorway just as a car can, and do it easily, many exceed this by a fair margin more than some car drivers too.

The biggest bugbear is 50mph roadworks to my mind, that holds everybody up which is where the problems arise, I'm seeing far fewer incidents on the sections that are now 60 mph, which to be fair flows well even at peak periods.

Ultimately, I see much more of this coming in. Annoying in a car, much better in an HGV from my point of view at least. :)

Soldato
Guys, guys, got a new joke for you...

How do you know if someone is a vegan drives an EV?

They bought a new car after 2032....

Hahahahaha - you’re so funny I almost paid my road fund licence.... Oh wait! There isn’t any. So funny I almost paid my service bill... no. That doesn’t work either. I almost didn’t beat that Lamborghini in a drag race. No, that doesn’t work either. Fuel cost? No. That’s cheaper too. The more I drive EVs (and we have a good mix - not just Tesla’s) I just see upside everywhere.

Soldato
You still have to service EVs. It isn't cheap either on some of them...

I'd still rather have a Lambo, because in years to come it is almost guaranteed to be an appreciating classic. Where as EVs are disposable, kinda like a phone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed, there was a very good Harry’s Garage about that but in the context we’re talking about here (local traffic related air pollution) they are effectively zero-contributors.

To be fair I'd take that with a pinch of salt, people with the nice limestone houses in Bath will see a huge benefit when EV uptake increases. They will have to have houses cleaned less often which costs thousands.

Don't worry about Nasher, there's no 'hype' is pretty solid data.

I'd still rather have a Lambo, because in years to come it is almost guaranteed to be an appreciating classic. Where as EVs are disposable, kinda like a phone.

Indeed, I'm really stuck on the fence between a Nissan Leaf and that Aventador choice I'm facing.

Soldato
To be fair I'd take that with a pinch of salt, people with the nice limestone houses in Bath will see a huge benefit when EV uptake increases. They will have to have houses cleaned less often which costs thousands.

Don't worry about Nasher, there's no 'hype' is pretty solid data.

Indeed, I'm really stuck on the fence between a Nissan Leaf and that Aventador choice I'm facing.

Well if he is on about "racing a Lambo", it's not going to be a Nissan leaf lol.

Soldato
You still have to service EVs. It isn't cheap either on some of them...

I think you’re mixing up maintenance and servicing. Tesla literally only have a service schedule for the cabin air filter. And they actually advise you to do that yourself. Now, ignoring the shocking quality issues with Tesla there really isn’t any routine servicing costs.

Other manufacturers do ask you to go and have the coolant levels checked etc. and that seems to be a sop to their dealer networks. Kia/Hyundai have recently introduced a massively costly coolant swap (£400-ish) at 40,000 miles on their EVs but on my old Audi A6 diesel I was spending that every year on oil changes.

Im not going to lie to you, until they changed the tax legislation I was getting another Audi A6 allroad 3.0 diesel but with all the tax breaks and the running costs frankly you’d have to be a Luddite not to see the benefits of an EV.

Soldato
Well if he is on about "racing a Lambo", it's not going to be a Nissan leaf lol.

No, but even a Nissan Leaf ‘feels’ fast. It’s the torque.

I’m really surprised that no-one has explored the real downside of EVs which is long-range high speed driving. My old A6 biturbo would empty it’s 75l fuel tank between Hoek van Holland and Berlin but to do that I was cruising at 74-83mph in Holland and 125mph+ once in Germany. Try that in a Tesla and I won’t make the German border. It probably won’t even make Arnhem. I go to Germany and Denmark via Germany (or I did) at least 6 times a year and I’ll either have to rent an ICE car for those trips or just accept that 130km/h is the limit.

Back
Top Bottom