Post Your Garden!

Soldato
I hate cutting the grass and my lawns are a mess

Thankfully you can't see the front one from the porch :D

IMG-20200820-103533.jpg

Associate
yeah same reason my garden slowly went from good looking and started heading for manageable
turns into a lot of work, have to get people in to do some stuff so its become quite expensive

just doing some more of the veg patch today and getting a firepit and chairs to break up the grass area a bit
decimated a patch of bushes the other day, a trim that went way too far lol
but at least the ground behind it will get sun now and might get some grass back in that area, its just been mud for years

Soldato
Haven't posted my garden in here. Moved into our property 2 months ago which is our first purchase, 5 bedroom semi. Garden is hooooge and I'm not a gardener at all.

First weekend we went from this:

LPp5BzL.png

To this:

XYNmAdK.png

Gonna leave it like this until next year until we get the house sorted. Whole thing needs decorating!

The shed has been placed on an old tree stump on stilts. Can't believe it. The stump is massive and will need a crane to yank it out. Probably just going to bury it and place a rockery over it and move the shed elsewhere. Want a large seating area and will just turf the rest. Want something low maintenance.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
How did it go? Quite scary when you are doing it isn't it!

I gave my lawn its first cut today since it was overseeded. Set the mower to its highest setting and gave it a little trim. Really happy with the progress so far. Its very green and thickening up nicely!
I must have had a lot of good roots left over after scarifying as there is a good mix of new shoots and established grass.

There are some very small patches that will need a bit of tlc, mainly due to the blackbirds deciding to rip up the new shoots searching for worms! I also have a few small weeds which I have never had before.
I assume this is due to top dressing being very exposed to all sorts of things landing on it. Will have to sort this out later!

Anyway, a few boring pics from today :)

PJ70KNN.jpg
Qmf38LW.jpg
3MX9RTb.jpg
qworHdG.jpg
8pWqKuS.jpg
JJqfglq.jpg
F3a0ssb.jpg
Hey Lee, how is it going? Was wondering if you could update us on how your lawn looks like now :)

Soldato
Haven't posted my garden in here. Moved into our property 2 months ago which is our first purchase, 5 bedroom semi. Garden is hooooge and I'm not a gardener at all.

First weekend we went from this:

LPp5BzL.png

To this:

XYNmAdK.png

Gonna leave it like this until next year until we get the house sorted. Whole thing needs decorating!

The shed has been placed on an old tree stump on stilts. Can't believe it. The stump is massive and will need a crane to yank it out. Probably just going to bury it and place a rockery over it and move the shed elsewhere. Want a large seating area and will just turf the rest. Want something low maintenance.

What a mess - just getting it tidied up a bit with a lawn mower and some hedge trimmers would have looked much nicer over winter/autumn. You had some decent plants there that probably took years to grow and were worth a bit of money. All they needed was a bit of TLC but it appears u have yanked them all out. :(

that looks like a right mess now - I'd hate to be your neighbour, waking up to see that our of my window. :)

It might not be too late though depending on what is underneath that - the grass still might be okay if you lifted them sheets all off. Low maintenance is boring, you got such a lovely big garden and amazing people on a forum like this, why not actually invest some time and effort into making that garden a beautiful one?

Man of Honour
Agree with above, I would have strimmed the lawn and then mown it. It will improve over time once mown regularly. A shame to just cover everything up with what looks like black bin bags :confused:

Associate
Hi,

Im looking for some advice, sadly i dont have pictures currently

i have a massive area of overgrown brambles however i dont know whats inside the brambled areas
from memory we had someone come in to try and clear it with a big machine which hit on metal and he quit the job rapidly due to that cost

over the whole area we have a massive amount to cut back, but i want to start on one of the smaller areas, which is probably around 75-100m long perhaps 5-10m thick, we own all around this patch and there is a stream running along side it, the stream goes down onto another persons land and we dont want to use any pesticides
we went down with a big strimmer and some hedge cutters to see if we could see anything in there and found 3 cargo containers and killed the hedge trimmer trying to get anywhere near them, there is also some trees which are not much higher than the brambles which i dont want to destroy

no idea how many years this growth is but its probably 1.5-2x the height of the containers very thick, likely full of farm machinery over the years being dumped there

there are many other large areas to cover all uneven ground no chance of getting in a 4x4 brushcutter ride on

is a flamethrower a good idea?
i know its not going to kill it off as such but im thinking if i can get it down enough to at least see whats there and remove any metal objects, see what the ground is like under some of it to perhaps try and clear it with other machines later on?

other option is a brush cutter, but im slightly concerned on the blades hittings things and the height add pure quantity might make it too thick as it drops down to see anything that i might hit and i cant really hold it higher

im not fit anymore so something easier to use for long periods would be better

due to the quanity in total and the repeat requirement use im thinking of buying something rather than renting, though i may rent to make sure im happy with size of the unit before i buy one

any thoughts or advise to get me started?

after abit more research think im going to go the flame route, seems quite cheap to pickup a triple head blowtorch and just buy some bottles as and when needed

but im open to more ideas

Last edited:
Soldato
It might be easier to post up a couple of pictures. If it’s that there that long the thick stems will likely be as thick as your arm.

I know you said you didn’t want to but for something that well established, I’d spray it and kill it off first. It will make cutting it down and removal far easier. You’ll be able to see more easily what you are doing as the foliage dies back. The stream or the trees shouldn’t be an issue is you take care.

Associate
It might be easier to post up a couple of pictures. If it’s that there that long the thick stems will likely be as thick as your arm.

I know you said you didn’t want to but for something that well established, I’d spray it and kill it off first. It will make cutting it down and removal far easier. You’ll be able to see more easily what you are doing as the foliage dies back. The stream or the trees shouldn’t be an issue is you take care.

my concern with using a spray is that we have a nature reserve next to us, the water goes directly into there area, i cant avoid the water as i dont actually know where it is in the mess, we hacked through some and it does not look like its very thick stems, just lots of them, other areas im sure will have thick stems which the crush cutter will be fine on, its just this one area that's likely full of metal, though its good to know in one of the other areas my old caravan is in it, its just a burnt husk, im told some vandal set it on fire years ago
ill update how we get on

Back
Top Bottom