Gaming Kickstarters

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I managed to pick up Gloomhaven for under £70 on an offer around 4-5 months ago. Still sitting there. Might crack it open soon, good opportunity now with the lock down I suppose. But first going to play Thunderstone Quest which I have had for about a year now from Kickstarter and not got around to it.

Frosthaven just seems too expensive. Should have been no more than £100 inclusive of VAT. I am in no rush, if it turns out great then I am sure I will grab it on sale in a few years time.

Associate
Love Gloomhaven me and the wife smashed out 4 scenarios last week. Just a shame we cant play with our regular group.

Backed the 145 pledge - ill just source my own cheaper insert for it, we had a foam one for GH... cant recall the brand though.

Soldato
Yeah, this is one of things that is putting me off at the moment. The fact that you still have to add 20% on top for VAT.
Most other Kickstarters are EU friendly so that doesn't happen.

We aren't in the EU any more, and by the time Frosthaven delivers we probably won't be in a customs union or the Single Market either. You can't blame project creators for covering their risks here.

Associate
We aren't in the EU any more, and by the time Frosthaven delivers we probably won't be in a customs union or the Single Market either. You can't blame project creators for covering their risks here.
Its not just us. Its nothing to do with 'EU' or us leaving it. Its the way the kickstarter is run (they're saying it down to local tax laws, introduced because of Amazon etc. - doesn't affect other kickstarters though). Countries in the EU also have to pay 19% VAT on top. Other countries have to pay their equivalent. It's all at the bottom of the kickstarter page.

Soldato
Yeah, I took a look around it. The EU have changed their rules regarding how crowdfunding is dealt with and it now counts as a sale rather than a donation, so going forward all projects will be subject to VAT.

Soldato
The Kickstarter for CMON's new project Ankh: Gods of Egypt goes live in a couple of hours. I must warn people before they back that CMON are having financial difficulties. They have withheld their accounts for 2019 and trading of their stock has been suspended on the Hong Kong exchange. I recommend caution.

Associate
The Kickstarter for CMON's new project Ankh: Gods of Egypt goes live in a couple of hours. I must warn people before they back that CMON are having financial difficulties. They have withheld their accounts for 2019 and trading of their stock has been suspended on the Hong Kong exchange. I recommend caution.

For those who are interested, here are some of the reports:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/45581/annual-report-delayed-trading-suspended-cmon
https://techraptor.net/tabletop/news/cmon-audit-spells-potential-trouble-for-tabletop-publisher

and here is CMONs response to it:

https://cmon.com/news/cmon-april-2020-update

Edit - I should say I just put those links up for clarity with what the problems are. I do find it interesting that CMON have not expanded on what the problems are or how they were caused. Doesn't instill confidence in them. They are also late with quite a few of their KickStarters. They seem to run quite a few simultaneously, which I don't necessarily agree with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Smartphone Inc 2.0 (and the v1.1 upgrade kit) has fulfilled. The upgrade kit comes in a full size game box to replace the original with enough room to fit both base game and expansion. Amazing value for $15.

Associate

Bit late but but I did back this when it was on Kickstarter and after giving it a try on TTS I regret it. It's pretty good (I like the players being able to split the map) right up to the point gods get merged and then later player elimination happens, left people with a sour taste towards it. There's still developing it so hope these areas are improved.

Last edited:
Soldato
Waiting for Massive Darkness 2 to hit Kickstarter. Love the first one but not sure on ever backing CMON stuff again as each incarnation of a game is just a rules update.
https://cmon.com/news/light-to-fight-the-darkness

Will see what happens when its announced.

Interested in this as Massive Darkness is one I keep wanting to pick up but I would like totry it first, unfortunately with so little information recently on the Bloodborne KS id struggle to justify it right now.

Soldato
I've started shying away from CMON these days. They always release to retail anyway so unless you are utterly desperate you can just wait without the KS drama they normally bring with them these days.

Associate
I've not bothered with CMON since my Black Plague KS fiasco.

Currently have my eye on Dollars to Donuts - could be a fun game for lunchtime gaming should office work ever return back to normal in the near-ish future.

Did have a look at The Shivers but the price seems a little on the high side for what it is.

Associate
For anyone that may have backed Folklore the Affliction (& is not on the book of faces), shipping has been halted in EU for the time being why GBG work with the manufacture as mould has been found in the shipments (lurking within the shrink wrapped boxes under the cardboard inlay. I think some shipments are still arriving that were already dispatched but if yours does arrive, GBG posted a survey link to report it. Likely best to not open it in the house though.

Soldato
I had utterly forgotten I had backed Altar Quest and Car Wars through KS :p

Altar Quest should apparently be turning up in the next 3/4 weeks and Car Wars, unfortunately, seems to be skipping all the time but it's being regularly updated and looks awesome so not overly concerned.

Looking forward to Altar Quest, cannot for the life of me remember what sort of tier my backing was.thoigh so just see what turns up :D

Back
Top Bottom