The Good ol' days

Associate
Barrysworld? Blimey that takes me back. Anyone remember Games World on Sky? Big Boy Barry? David Walliams as Lance?

When you had to wait a month to buy a magazine to get a clue from a walkthrough on the latest game you were stuck on.

The good old days.

Soldato
Such good times!

Did you fly in a squadron or just solo?

I was in [TKFM] (The Kung Fu Monks) and flew under the handle Blacknight back then. We were kind of a big deal. :p

It must be 20 years since I played AA but I remember TKFM. I flew in a couple of squadrons, I can't even remember names, but I remember was in [GODZ] for a bit, who were pretty big.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yep, facebook made the web worse, twitter has allowed every idiot a voice without consequences from it.

Soldato
Strangeland and Rotten.com...Some of the things I saw on there definitely scarred me for life.

Albinoblacksheep and rathergood for weird, animated videos.

Miniclip and candyland for browser based games when we were bored in IT lessons

Myth of Soma / Dark Ages of Camelot... pretty much all mmos back then we're better as the community was much closer knit.

MSN for those late night groups chats and the only way to keep in touch with mates who didn't live nearby if you had ran out of credit on your phone.

God I miss those days... Although the Internet is far more useful and convenient now, I don't like what it has turned us into.

Permabanned
Gamesmaster, myspace, irc, msn, winmx, DC++ are all old school for me. I loved the old dialup tone.

The best was when I got free aol discs when dialup become free thats when I got an aol address “welcome to aol”. Ha!

A lot of the stuff from the 90s can still be used today anyway it’s just people chose not too.

Antone go on geocities? Customize your own html pages.

Last edited:
Winamp is still my main player. For 21 years now! Still use a 2.0 skin.

jungle.com (before Argos took over it)
mp3.com
uk-garage.co.uk
b3ta.com
rathergood.com
break.com
MSN Gaming Zone (Age of Empires II ftw!)
virgin.net notice board (for the trolls, trollolololol)
Napster
Web directories
Newsgroups
Every drinks coaster was an AOL CD lol

I agree with the others on here that the internet got destroyed by social media, multi-level marketing, influencers etc.

Soldato
Games domain! It was so nice seeing my rolling through the top 20 best connect 4 players. Miss cyber wars.

iCQ was the dream you could search girls by age and location, message them at random and they would always answer.
I met the sweetest (and hot) girl there in my broke student days, she lived aboard, she said she would western union me the money to visit her. I thought it was a joke, but there was really 2 grand waiting for me. I went there, I wasn't murdered or disappointed :cool:

People were so much more awesome back on the internet then, only magnolia has came close in recent times giving me free stuff

Soldato
All See Eye was better :D

But now everything is "matchmaking", peer-to-peer servers and crap. It feels like we have gone backwards. I remember 64 player dedicated servers on many games (including old counter-strike) with no noticable lag. Now we get 8-16 on a tiny map and lag often.

Man I was gonna post that as I used that so much more, bloody loved that software. Would load it up every day, quake 3, UT 2003/4, soldier of fortune, elite force ahh man they really were the golden years of fps for me.

Soldato
I think our clan tag was [Stella] I used to play with my dads much older mates.

It must be 20 years since I played AA but I remember TKFM. I flew in a couple of squadrons, I can't even remember names, but I remember was in [GODZ] for a bit, who were pretty big.

I don't remember [Stella] but I do remember [GODZ]. I found this page after a bit of a google search. None of the links work (unsurprisingly) but it brings back some memories.

Back
Top Bottom