Spec me: £6-9k, practical(ish), fun(ish), low use

Caporegime
Honestly the Legacy is a decent shout, I wouldn't mind one and they would make a good practical + fun car, but decent examples barely ever come up for sale, and when they do, they are almost always autos.

As for the others... Ah yes, executive yachts with your favourite kind of transmission, automatic, 100% "fun-ish" just like the OP asked for. ;)

Associate
Legacy is a great about.

I don't know why a GT86 is mentioned - the OP said fish rods so I am thinking something biggish, ruggish and AWD which is why I have these cars. A LS460 might be going over board but you will be like a king going to the lakes with your fishing rod in the back seat of that car.

The Subaru is a fantastic all rounder and once the service record checks out they are reliable and in the snow they are a load of fun too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfVkKYncxsE

Associate
OP
Some outliers which no one else will mention....

Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B AWD, facelift models 2006-2009 are equipped with BT, Nav, Leather, Heated Seats, Xenons, Dual Climate, Cruise etc. Manual is very rare but good for 0-60 in about 6s and 150+ mph top, the 5 speed Auto slush box in the facelifts is also not to be sniffed at. They also sound fantastic with a decent exhaust... *Fishing rod friendly with the Wagon version

Volvo S80 V8 AWD - extremely rare but everyone likes an outsider

Honda Legend V6 AWD - incredible value for money, they should be reliable but just pray you don't need to buy a LCA or such...

Lexus LS460 V8 RWD - again incredible value for money and can be got within your budget - drive to the moon and back and not worry about breaking down.. AWD ones are available but also as rare as hens teeth

So if you want something exciting and great for B roads and incredible road handling in all weather and leaving everyone else behind in the snow get a Subaru - if you want wafting get the Lexus, if you want to be an outsider get the Volvo

I don't know why a GT86 is mentioned - the OP said fish rods so I am thinking something biggish, ruggish and AWD which is why I have these cars. A LS460 might be going over board but you will be like a king going to the lakes with your fishing rod in the back seat of that car.

The Subaru is a fantastic all rounder and once the service record checks out they are reliable and in the snow they are a load of fun too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfVkKYncxsE

I definitely hadn't considered any of those, the Legacy could work but my worry would be finding a good one.

Size wise a hatch or coupe is ok as long as the rear seats fold down. The rod bag is the biggest issue as it's 200cm long. Everything else can just be piled in wherever. As said it all fits in my M235i, only problem with that car is RWD and fat tyres which can be a bit hairy at some venues with mud roads :D. It never got stuck though!

Associate
I definitely hadn't considered any of those, the Legacy could work but my worry would be finding a good one.

Size wise a hatch or coupe is ok as long as the rear seats fold down. The rod bag is the biggest issue as it's 200cm long. Everything else can just be piled in wherever. As said it all fits in my M235i, only problem with that car is RWD and fat tyres which can be a bit hairy at some venues with mud roads :D. It never got stuck though!

The Legacy is an awesome car, drive one and you will understand. Manuals are as rare as hens teeth - they share the same high performance manual as the WRX STi so if you can get one you wont regret it. They are pretty good on fuel also and they have loads of room for a few fishing rods in the wagon format and will get you around in all weather conditions. A Honda Legend is a nice idea for wafting and can be got for pennies but parts are very expensive and the drive is no where near as good as the Subaru.

Finding a 'good one' - well mine has 125k miles miles and if you drove it I bet you would say what's the milage..50k? Its all about getting one that has been looked after, like any car really. They need fully synthetic oil every 10k and spark plugs every 60k ish miles - coolant and diff fluid etc all needs to be replaced. If they are serviced they last forever. The Engines in these are not prone to HG failure - if they had failure is highly likely due to neglect. Earlier EZ30 engines (not the ones used in the 3.0 SpecB) did have some issues and it was recommended to use radiator weld with a coolant change. None of that gunk is needed for the new engines. They need matched tyres also, which is very important

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour

What the OP said was fishing gear, but no mention of how much, how big, how long or similar.
So back to the question I raised on pg 2, what does he mean by that?

Associate
I currently have a Focus ST Estate (which I do like and which has been mentioned already), and before that I had an XK but needed something more practical. Before the XK I had a Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart which I loved, although I got stuck on the slippery slope of upgrading and ended up with a rock hard 400bhp hatchback. I would have another tomorrow (just not extremely modified) but standard they come with 230bhp and 4 wheel drive. I found it to be a great car that suffers from thin paint and soft suspension, but they are unusual and you'd get a good one in your budget as they've never been as popular as I think they deserve.

Associate
OP
What the OP said was fishing gear, but no mention of how much, how big, how long or similar.
So back to the question I raised on pg 2, what does he mean by that?

Apologies missed your question. It means a rod bag (200cm long and quite bulky), a couple of holdalls, bedchair and a few random bits e.g. bucket. In response to your suggestions: I like both but unfortunately 90% sure the mx-5 won't do it size wise. The GT86 might just about so I'm planning to look at one at some point as I've always liked them.

Soldato
I could lay down in the back of my gt86 with the seats down (and they lay completely flat). A 2m object will be fine as long as it can fit through the boot hole.

Associate
The Legacy is an awesome car, drive one and you will understand. Manuals are as rare as hens teeth - they share the same high performance manual as the WRX STi so if you can get one you wont regret it. They are pretty good on fuel also and they have loads of room for a few fishing rods in the wagon format and will get you around in all weather conditions. A Honda Legend is a nice idea for wafting and can be got for pennies but parts are very expensive and the drive is no where near as good as the Subaru.

Finding a 'good one' - well mine has 125k miles miles and if you drove it I bet you would say what's the milage..50k? Its all about getting one that has been looked after, like any car really. They need fully synthetic oil every 10k and spark plugs every 60k ish miles - coolant and diff fluid etc all needs to be replaced. If they are serviced they last forever. The Engines in these are not prone to HG failure - if they had failure is highly likely due to neglect. Earlier EZ30 engines (not the ones used in the 3.0 SpecB) did have some issues and it was recommended to use radiator weld with a coolant change. None of that gunk is needed for the new engines. They need matched tyres also, which is very important

Subaru Legacy here, the saloons have a pass thru compartment in the rear arm rest so good for a few fishing rods, or 2. I only ever saw a few of these cars in a manual for sale over the last 4+ years. Driving home from work in the lashing rain there is no better place to be.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ew&aggregatedTrim=R spec.B&make=SUBARU&page=1

Back
Top Bottom