Will blue ray ever come down in price

Soldato
I assume the OP is wondering why PC BD drives have not come down in price to what DVD writers did. DVD writer drives have been £20 or less for many years, whereas BD drives seem to be no lower than £50.

Not sure why they have not come down in price to what DVD drives have been for years, but I wonder if it is something to do with that BD playback on PC requires licensed software. The drives come with Cyberlink software, which isn't cheap.

Soldato
Could be. I thought I bought a cheap LG DVD writer before Blu-ray drives appeared on the scene. It was quite a while ago though, so maybe I'm remember wrongly.

Soldato
They will never hit dvd/cd pricing because they not going to reach the critical mass.

By the time bluray's day was to shine, digital media was kicking in.

If my sata dvd burner ever dies, then it wont be replaced, it would be a usb external unit instead for situational use. The only use its had in the past year is when I had to insert CD for FF7.

Associate
I bought a new Pioneer Blu-ray drive last month and it was more expensive than a year ago!
Blank Blu-ray discs on the other hand are slowly getting cheaper (but not much).

Associate
I will hold my hand up and say I've got a Blu-ray BDXL burner in my pc - only because it cost me £20! I use it quite a lot to play music on, as my 5cd changer is on its last legs...!
I have used the burner side of it quite a bit, but that's only standard 25gb discs as I aint paying £15 per BDXL disc, even though 120gb backup would mean only 4 discs for my music collection.

I also have it setup as a remote disc for my MacBook Pro.

Associate
im still looking for a drive, but then i wont have anywhere to put it in these new cases lucky the case a door side panel and i would leave it on top the psu shroud cover

Associate
I honestly couldn't live without my burner atm - using it way more than I prob should ha ha ! but yeah id do something like that - heck I've even got a usb3 header to dual usb3 ports - have 2 sands 128bit AES drives in there :) and a raid card.

its down to if you'd use it enough..! I know I do.

im still looking for a drive, but then i wont have anywhere to put it in these new cases lucky the case a door side panel and i would leave it on top the psu shroud cover

Caporegime
What on earth are people still using optical media for?

I have a USB stick, that has done away with any need for disks in my life. :p

Bit odd that blu-ray drives are still £60-odd though... Thats the same as what I paid for mine about 9 years ago.

Associate
Ive got a fair few usb sticks external 500gb and a 4tb drive...but its easier to send stuff to a mate on disc...like hell I'm posting a hard drive back n forth! :)

Bit odd that blu-ray drives are still £60-odd though... Thats the same as what I paid for mine about 9 years ago.

Soldato

as much as I like using Spotify , and have got iTunes 4k films..... I’ll never ditch physical media. Vinyl and cd and a nice 4k player for me :D

Back
Top Bottom