MS FS 2020, anyone talking about this?

Soldato
Even a cheap HOTAS elevates the experience.

Flying in VR is incredible. I once took a pleasure flight in a Chipmunk trainer, and got to fly it for a few minutes (due to me mentioning my flight sim experience). Then later when I flew a plane in IL2 sturmovik using VR and a HOTAS I got flashbacks back to my real flying experience. The realism and immersion is amazing.

Soldato
Even a cheap HOTAS elevates the experience.

Flying in VR is incredible. I once took a pleasure flight in a Chipmunk trainer, and got to fly it for a few minutes (due to me mentioning my flight sim experience). Then later when I flew a plane in IL2 sturmovik using VR and a HOTAS I got flashbacks back to my real flying experience. The realism and immersion is amazing.

The last Flight Sim I played was Flight Simulator II on the Commodore 64 :)

Soldato
Just a warning to quest users - I just came across this comment from Godin (VD developer)

"I’d recommend getting it on Steam as most games from the Microsoft store cant be injected. If its using the Oculus SDK, it will need to be injected to work correctly"

So if you are hoping to play the game on Quest over wifi eventually, that might influence where you decide to purchase.

Soldato
Whoop whoop, it’s happening!

You can apply to be a closed beta VR tester at the flightsim website. WMR only at first phase, and Jorg Neuman said to expect the beta to begin late October/early November.

Time to kiss your GPUs goodbye boys... they are going to be on fire!

Soldato
Well ain’t that just the question!

So in the community video today they made a lot of the fact they are upgrading to DX12 for the features it can bring... one could perhaps infer that some of those features could be VRS, mesh shading, sampler feedback (which is a potential huge win for VR where you can render all the pixels in a scene once and just reproject to the other eye, much like Nvidia’s SPS but not vendor specific), perhaps even direct ML based upsampling... there was a very cheeky silence when DLSS was mentioned - probably just a co-incidence that the beta is slated to land around the same time as AMD's RDNA2 presentation, but not impossible they are keeping certain things like that under their hat until then.

They are also apparently working on continuing to move jobs off the main thread which would help remove a lot of the CPU bottlenecking we are seeing.

While they definitely didn’t say so in clear terms, maybe one could speculate that the VR update is waiting upon the DX12 conversion (which they say they’ve been working on for a while already) to take advantage of some of those advanced DX12 ultimate features to help make it more playable in VR, along with just continuing optimisation with more jobs being moved off the main thread in the next update. Probably wishful thinking and it'll just be a pig to run but one can dream.

There is also of course the back up option of reprojection/motion smoothing which is more bearable in a flight sim, so you’d only need to hit eg 45fps for a 90hz display or you could perhaps use the 60hz mode on WMR.

If not then dialling back the options and buying a BFGPU as Jensen would put it :D

Last edited:
Associate
I'm super excited for vr in fs 2020, vr blew me away when i first tried it with cv1 then i got a rift s and that improved things, pcars 2 is stunning in vr and the first time i flew over the grand canyon in aerofly fs2 i nearly wet myself, going over the edge for the first time is an experience i'll never forget. I will deffo be getting a g2 and already pre-ordered a rtx 3090 for the best possible experience. VR is the best thing that's happened since the birth of the universe.

Soldato
I imagine someone in Asobo sitting there going "Trollololololol"

There's no reason why WMR couldn't run on the Xbox, and the Series X certainly has the grunt for overall good VR experiences but yeah, I would be shocked to see MSFT turn 180 and suddenly put VR on the box. Seems from what spencer last said on the matter they still consider it too socially isolating and physically awkward for a console experience... Inside out tracking certainly massively reduced the awkwardness part, but the wire is still arguably a problem from their perspective. I think their mindset is probably just "if you want VR, then you can play it on PC which is a platform we also support"... unless PSVR explodes in popularity next gen I don't see them changing tack.

Perhaps this might be a remnant of some experimentation just to see how they could get it running? Explorations for the future if it's decided Xbox will be enabling VR one, two or three years from now if PSVR or others really take off?

Soldato
Well the 4K buzz they were selling the new Xbox on isn't so much of a hot take these days, it's more of a standardization. Perhaps looking down the line the next selling point could be VR, where else do they go, 8k, faster loading times :o

VR in general doesn't seem to garner the complete tirade of abuse these days in forums and comments sections, which could sway the thinking away from another connect fiasco which cost them bigtime before.

Fight Sim would be another way of playing it safe the way EA has with Squadrons. Obviously an hardware issue would be seen as a more significant step, but the target would be the niche sim crowd versed in buying additional hardware. The trick i guess would be focusing the association of a Xbox VR headset solely with the product away from the mainstream initially. You could well assume that relating the G2/WMR exclusivity with MS Flight is purely a ploy to promote their new product (the G2), or you could go the way of thinking that maybe it relates the WMR line for that, for MS Flight... which could be spun to the console equivalent.

Either way at some point down the line it will happen, we know all these guys are working on it:)

Back
Top Bottom