Bad covers.

Soldato
Yes. Wretched, isn't it?

Another one, and I gotta say - I don't have anything against M People, I like Heather Small's voice, but they really massacred this one. So here she is, stomping all over Small Faces' Itchycoo Park and turning it into a 'painfully mid-'90s dance' version.
In the 90's all songs were fair game for a dance remix with usually horrific results:

It is almost bearable until she opens her mouth.

Soldato
OP
Hello hello hello Hallo. German by any chance?

Quite a deep voice, moyet-esque. It's all just weird, and wtf is with the church bells at 1:45? That's very 90s (Steps Tragedy anyone?)

Mr Cobain has another reason to feel aggrieved.

The longer it goes on the worse it gets. No no no no.

Last edited:
Associate
Remembered a couple of really good ones, or should I say really bad ones.

Pretty sure if he'd still been alive Prince would have been extremely annoyed about this truly risible Metallica cover of When Doves Cry.

Original:

Unlike some of the other non musicians in some of these bad cover videos, Metallica really should have known better:

Damn I nearly forgot about one the funniest and worst ever techno covers from back in the day, made all the funnier by the ultra serious German delivery.

Presenting a cover of Walking in Memphis by the terrible techno band Scooter:

Original:

Scooter's terrible techno version:

Also about the Happy Mondays truly terrible cover of Boys are Back in Town, they might a unique band in that they have one of the covers ever and also one of the best ever in Step On which might be in top ten covers of all time.

Associate
Before I forget, there's actually an even more shameful aspect to Scooter and I'm Raving, I'm Raving.

Because it wasn't a bad concept for a rave or techno remix, it just needed a singer that didn't sound like a binman from Dortmund bellowing into a dustbin.

Prior to doing some research now I always thought the Ratpack version was a cover of Scooter, but the record label says 1992, amazingly this was first, but only a bootleg due to copyright.

Absolute shame on Scooter, they must have heard it or got hold of a copy and made an even worse version in 1996, but actualy got the rights. Makes their cover the by far the worst, most shameless ripoff in this topic IMO.

1992 Ratpack MC and producer version:

UK version much better singing and old school production, plus having the idea in the first place, knowing that this far better version was first makes Scooter suck even more than I thought they did.

Man of Honour
Pretty sure if he'd still been alive Prince would have been extremely annoyed about this truly risible Metallica cover of When Doves Cry.

Unlike some of the other non musicians in some of these bad cover videos, Metallica really should have known better:

You are being a bit unfair, Metallica have never put this on sale and it was a very quick tribute to Prince.
It is bloody awful though.

Associate
You are being a bit unfair, Metallica have never put this on sale and it was a very quick tribute to Prince.

And on the most recent Metallica tours they have done a bit of a popular song from the country/city of the show they play in, so it's not been any official covers but more a doodling tribute.

Man of Honour
And on the most recent Metallica tours they have done a bit of a popular song from the country/city of the show they play in, so it's not been any official covers but more a doodling tribute.

Exactly.
In the early/mid 70s I used to collect Led Zeppelin bootlegs and they were full of awful doodlings (jamming) but I never held it against them.

Associate

Nothing says they have to be paid or official covers, any cover will suffice, but I know these are just doodles with just half the band, not serious recordings or intended as a serious cover.

They still thought it was good enough for a live concert which it clearly isn't, so I'm keeping it in. I'll judge Metallica like I judge Brian Wilson, both should know better, but both guilty of some terrible performances along with all the good they did in the past.

Associate
Also in the interest of fairness, like with Happy Mondays, Metallica can also do great covers when they get it right.

Not as good as the original in some regards especially vocals but better in others and about as good a metal version you could do, up there with my favourite covers too.

Soldato
OP
Just watch any advert over the past few years where they've decided they want to grab some 80's pop or soft rock, but don't want to pay for it. Without fail they pick the most terrible cover you can imagine.

A notable recent one is a Volvo advert that appeared a couple of weeks ago, where they use a soft acoustic version of Born to be Wild. I mean, the clue is in the name of the song for why a dreary acoustic approach is stupid.

That said, none of them are as bad as the OP. Surely that was a deliberate parody?

I know just the one you mean. And I share your view. As for the OP. Nope no parody.

That same mob producing the Lloyds adverts have now taken a slow song (We've Only Just Begun by the Carpenters) and done it even slower - ruining it in the process. FFS they could have just paid the royalties and used the original. It's an absolute classic and probably nearing the end of it's copyright period anyway (isn't it 50 years?) plus Karen Carpenter's vocals are so strong no soloist with no backing is ever going to sound any better, this one just sounds anaemic, such a shame.

Soldato
That same mob producing the Lloyds adverts have now taken a slow song (We've Only Just Begun by the Carpenters) and done it even slower - ruining it in the process. FFS they could have just paid the royalties and used the original. It's an absolute classic and probably nearing the end of it's copyright period anyway (isn't it 50 years?) plus Karen Carpenter's vocals are so strong no soloist with no backing is ever going to sound any better, this one just sounds anaemic, such a shame.

I haven't heard that yet. I'm sure I will be appalled when I do. Anyone covering a Carpenters song is just asking to sound like a caterwauling idiot by comparison to her voice.

Back
Top Bottom