*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
^ Part of the job anyway and also they get compensated quite well for the small bit of extra time they put in respectively:

Talk of it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/j293on/cd_projekt_red_is_breaking_their_promise_of_no/

And official response:

These last six weeks are our final sprint on a project we've all spent much of our lives on. Something we care for deeply. The majority of the team understands that push, especially in light of the fact we've just sent the game to cert and every day brings us visibly closer to shipping a game we want to be proud of. This is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make, but everyone is well compensated for every extra hour they put in. And, like in recent years, 10% of the annual profit our company generates in 2020 will be split directly among the team.

This is a case of people on the internet getting riled up over what is otherwise standard practice in that industry,m and in CDPR's case, EU directive allows workers to only work a certain amount extra and be paid quite well for that.

As someone else said in another post:

Given Polish laws do not allow workers to work more than 48 hours in a week and they have to be paid 50% more in overtime for those 8 extra hours, I have a hard time seeing this as "crunch". It's just 1 extra 8 hour day for Less than 2 months. Do the CD Project employees even mind this? Is this something where gamers are making a big deal about something the employees don't even mind happening and perhaps like it because they get 150% of their pay for many weeks of working one more day?

Soldato
Ooooh, big controversy..

It is simple, they cannot delay at this point due to contractual obligations and needing to hit console launch and christmas season, and they want to ensure the game is as clean and bug-free as literally humanly possible. I don't begrudge them for it, as long as the devs get compensated, which they will, and can take time off after shipping.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ooooh, big controversy..

It is simple, they cannot delay at this point due to contractual obligations and needing to hit console launch and christmas season, and they want to ensure the game is as clean and bug-free as literally humanly possible. I don't begrudge them for it, as long as the devs get compensated, which they will, and can take time off after shipping.
+1

Associate
You will want to replay the game once the expansions are out anyway, try different class and playstyle.

I have a hard time ever replaying games, once I finish the main story once I feel like I'm just done, I have this kind of absolute closure about it, haha ... that's why I try not to progress the main quest until I've done all the side-quest stuff, unless it's blocking me ... though for cyberpunk I could see me playing it once as a nomad making all the choices that I feel are good... then again later as a corporate guy making all the choices that make me feel uneasy and ******, ha.

Soldato
I have a hard time ever replaying games, once I finish the main story once I feel like I'm just done, I have this kind of absolute closure about it, haha ... that's why I try not to progress the main quest until I've done all the side-quest stuff, unless it's blocking me ... though for cyberpunk I could see me playing it once as a nomad making all the choices that I feel are good... then again later as a corporate guy making all the choices that make me feel uneasy and ******, ha.

I am the same, only replay the absolute classics, but I have no doubt Cyberpunk will be one of those, plus it is made for replaying, three distinct classes and plenty of choices and consequences throughout.

Soldato
I wonder how many of these people complaining would rather wait another month or two for the game so the devs can have Saturdays off....

Absolutely fine by me. Games should be released when their ready.

Inviting Jason Schreier for an interview and talking about no crunch only to change their minds isn't a big deal since plans can change, but some of Jason's recent tweets in the last 48 hours makes for some good counter arguments for those suggesting that this is "normal".

Soldato
It's hard being a "game journalist", accomplishing nothing but criticizing those who work their bum off to launch a company & keep it alive in the easy creative industry that is AAA gaming. Too bad those Polish didn't change their slavery laws so that the devs can escape their condition. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Absolutely fine by me. Games should be released when their ready.
It's not always easy or even possible, they already delayed it twice and took a lot of flak for it, right now they cannot delay anymore because the game was already sent out for certification and all the retail placement and marketing deals are in place, plus they need to hit console launch and christmas season to maximize possible success. The options they have are to either have people work 7 days overtime (those saturdays), or release buggier game. And you know what? I bet 90% of their team is fine with the overtime and prefers it over the alternative.

Soldato
It's not always easy or even possible, they already delayed it twice and took a lot of flak for it, right now they cannot delay anymore because the game was already sent out for certification and all the retail placement and marketing deals are in place, plus they need to hit console launch and christmas season to maximize possible success. The options they have are to either have people work 7 days overtime (those saturdays), or release buggier game. And you know what? I bet 90% of their team is fine with the overtime and prefers it over the alternative.

The news regarding crunch isn't just about recent events but more that it's allegedly been going on since E3 2018. I get that some random in this forum likes to compare crunch to a project they may have done at work but unless you work in games development it's not the same.

Also, the overwhelming majority were very understandable regarding CP 2077's delay to release. As for your opinions on why they can't delay, unless CD Project Red release a statement, we'll just continue posting opinions in this thread, since this is what the thread is for.

Permabanned
I work for a very large insurance company and due to covid we had to work pretty much flat out for months, holiday requests were "blacked out" and overtime paid, now covid and the travel side has calmed down, we're in a motor peak, partly due to delay in customers orders for the new 70 plates, and September (along with March) are the two period of high volume. As a staff member am I annoyed, nope it is what it is, times are unprecedented, the overtime is welcomed and I'd hope when it blows over, we'd be rewarded.

I hope this is the case with CDP. I will support them with my collectors edition pre order. I also hope their workload and creativity leads them onto some amazing things in the future.

The companies I wont support are places like primark, nike, weatherspoons... for far mroe obvious and less rewarding reasons.

Soldato
You don't sound bitter at all :)
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom