£2k~ Spec Check

Associate
Hi guys

This will be my first build in a good while. Current build is a i7 3770k, Vega 56, DDR3 16g and SSD, which I'm planning on breaking down to sell. It still handles 1080p 60fps quite well, so hoping to recoup a little of the cost for the new build.

No peripherals required and use will be for gaming only, playing at 1440p 165hz. I'm looking at you Cyberpunk 2077!

I've thrown the below cart together to give me an idea on what to expect regarding performance/cost. I'll be shopping around as I've noticed already some of the OCUK prices are a little inflated :)

This build will need to last me a good while, so I'm trying to eek out every % of oomph for my money.

Case - This I already have, the Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic PCMR Edition. Stock was running low and with only 2000 units produced, I couldn't wait (help myself!). It will sit proudly in the dining room so needed to look good in order to keep a happy wife. I've told her the mirrored glass will mute the RGB transforming it from tacky to tasteful. :o I was considering the O-11 D Mini however Lian-Li are really dragging their feet with it, plus the additional space of the PCMR version will be more suited to my sausage fingers.

CPU
- Will be watching what happens on Oct 8th for Zen 3 to see if a newer chip can be had for similar price/performance.

GPU - What a time to be buying! The 3080 is the obvious choice now, however the low stock buys me time to see what Navi 21 brings. I'm hoping AMD see sense and hurry up with a reveal for what to expect, as I'm not sure I can to wait til Nov-Dec. However I may have too if 3080 popularity/availability remains the same.

MOBO - As it's just for gaming, I considered whether the B550 would be enough for my needs. I do dabble in overclocking and it would be nice to have a capable board later down the line. Also, I've read the x570 is Gen4 compatible for NVME. No idea if this will make the slightest bit of difference for a pure gaming build...

RAM - I spec'd DDR4 3600 for now. I presume a good <CAS16 3200 would also be an option. Only plan on 16gb for now and will add 16bg later down the line, when games are more demanding.

SSD - Storage wise I usually only have 2-3 games on the go at a time and have no issue with uninstalling to reinstall later. That being the case, I figured a 1TB NVME would suffice for both OS and games. Not sure if i'm making a mistake here and if a separate boot drive would be the way to go. Also, should I go Gen4?! Not a clue...

Cooling - I like the aesthetic of the Lian-Li AIO and Uni fans.They're pricey so it's something I could always add in later on.

PSU - Seems sufficient and reasonable priced.

What do you think? Would love to hear your thoughts. I'm happy to spend the full £2k if the performance is worth it for a pure gaming perspective. Obviously if I can save without losing any FPS, winner winner :D

Thanks for reading!

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,962.80 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the heads up. I'll do some reading! Really hoping AMD can get somewhere around 3080 with more DDR.

Associate
That's a solid build for the money. You mention PCI Gen 4 with regard to the NVME, but the drive in your basket is only a Gen 3 unit. Gen 4 drives are significantly more expensive. You can probably live without it though.

That being said, both X570 and B550 support Gen 4.

Associate
OP
Or I can get the below for about a £10 saving, albeit Gen 3.

1 x Adata XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 256GB SSD
1 x Adata XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 1TB SSD

So. A separate boot/gaming drive or a single Gen4...

Who knew spending money was this hard!

Associate
I'm generally opposed to having a very small boot drive. You'll spend way longer mucking around configuring the install folders, moving stuff about, etc than you would save from the faster transfer times.

If you buy a Gen3 drive now, and fit it to a Gen4 board, then you won't lose anything: it'll perform at Gen3 levels. Then you can perhaps upgrade to a Gen4 later as you gather cash and/or the price of Gen4 drives comes down.

Soldato
MOBO - As it's just for gaming, I considered whether the B550 would be enough for my needs. I do dabble in overclocking and it would be nice to have a capable board later down the line.

happy to spend the full £2k if the performance
B550 boards have equal VRMs to X570.
Proper ones have overkill VRM for 12/16 core models with some overclocking.
Anyway overclocking room is small for gaming usage, which doesn't rely on all core clocks and wouldn't wonder if Zen3 further tweaks automatic boosting of the most heavily loaded cores.

There's around two hundred of bling bling and fashion in that...

Or I can get the below for about a £10 saving, albeit Gen 3.

1 x Adata XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 256GB SSD
1 x Adata XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 1TB SSD
No sense to waste limited M.2 slots for small drive.
If going for actual performance/bang per money 2TB drive is perfectly available for that budget.
Partitioning is for keeping Windows separate from rest in case of needing to do fresh install.

Associate
OP
So an update!

I've purchased the following so far...

CASE - PC-O11 Dynamic PCMR Limited Edition
MOBO - Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
PSU - Leadex III 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular
SSD - Adata XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 2TB SSD
AIO - Deepcool Castle 360EX LCooler
DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 32GB (16GB x2) C16, Black
FANS - Lian-Li Uni SL120 RGB Black x 9

The plan is to go Navi21 and Zen3, probably 3700x equivalent.

Just hope building the thing will be as satisfying as shopping the parts :)

Back
Top Bottom