**British Armed Forces Discussion Thread**

Associate
Yep there is a new little "techie" boost that basically scales from something like Sac (t) 600, cpl 900, Sgt 1300, ct 1700.

Put more money into the areas where you don't need it. Genius lol
Best thing is that the scripture even says that the bonus will not make wages competetive with civvy street.

Soldato
Best thing is that the scripture even says that the bonus will not make wages competetive with civvy street.

To be honest that doesn't bother me. The military will never compete with civvy Street but it does have a non contributory pension scheme and free health and dental care. I've had thousands of pounds worth of stuff since I've been in forces so I don't mind so much.

I'm also in a position where I can pursue sport and adventure training activities on a pretty much monthly basis if so desired. Also had a foundation degree fully funded.

Not all positions are the same but ontop of that I can manage an hour or so gym session almost every day which suddenly makes my 40hr week a 35hr week. And fuel for my commute is paid for too.

There is definitely money to be earned in civvie aviation but it would be too much like hard work for me haha.

Soldato
Seriously??? Oh FFS, it's like the upper Officer branch haven't learnt from the past 20 years of stupidity that the "Rank Pyramid" doesn't work when it's top heavy with too many CT's. All it does, as you mentioned, is screw SGT's and CPL's who now have nowhere to go due to tiny promotion prospects*** other than leave the RAF in droves, causing even more "brain drain" as it's usually the better guys that get frustrated and leave first and, by screwing two sets of ranks, they're guaranteeing that there will by far fewer "good" people to fill those CT ranks eventually in the future which doesn't bode well for the RAF.

*** - my first CPL to SGT board for Avionics in 2005 was around 85 promotions for that year. In 2014 when I left it was under 20 (may even have been under 15 I think) despite having almost the same amount of people in rank.

I got picked up in 2015 with 7 other avionics sac's on the same sqn alone, something must have cleared them out! Think virtually my entire course got picked up that year.

Soldato
It must be difficult in the tech trades to not be attracted by the civvy jobs when I think about it. As an operator, I can't do this job in civvy street, there isn't one. Mind you, there's plenty of guys getting the QWI quals and degree equivalent courses to be able to secure very well paid civilian jobs in "advisory" roles. If the money was everything right now, I'd consider.

Soldato
It must be difficult in the tech trades to not be attracted by the civvy jobs when I think about it. As an operator, I can't do this job in civvy street, there isn't one. Mind you, there's plenty of guys getting the QWI quals and degree equivalent courses to be able to secure very well paid civilian jobs in "advisory" roles. If the money was everything right now, I'd consider.

I joined in 2007, sac(t) at that time was arguably market rate so made sense to stay in, same with the ranks as they went up.

By 2010 civvy street was offering 20k more abroad for the same job with less responsibility

It's only got worse

Man of Honour
Well, that's me officially out as of midnight.

12 years, two very different main tours, 3 trips to the Falklands (twice to the same god forsaken mountain site), one trip to UAE and two short trips to the USA (one getting stuck snowed in, in Maine... and I thought the Falklands was cold :|). Lots of memories, some great, some terrible, but in the end priorities change and there are just too many factors making the choice to leave at that magic 12 year point the overwhemingly right one for me and my expanding family. What ultimately sealed the deal for me was witnessing someone out in Minhad skyping his toddler on their birthday. He applied for early termination that very day, and I remember promising myself I wouldn't put myself in that position. 2 years later, mission accomplished :cool:

So goodbye and good luck to you Soldiers, Sailors and... Aviators :o I want to say you won't need it but, in all likelihood, you will!

Soldato
Good choice mate! Hope all the best for you!

I'm very much on edge of making that leap myself, in the last few years I've always told my lads I'd never attempt to talk someone out of it if they had genuine reasons and would support their decision all the way. had it not been for Covid and being officially warned off for potential operations, I'd have been signed off in May.
I'm just in a bit of limbo at the moment, 11 1/2 so far and feel I'm done, no longer in the mood to deal with the ********, either downward or upward. I love the job and I love the blokes but I dont have that drive anymore.
Whats holding me back is mostly the insecurity in the job market and in life in general. I dont doubt I could find a job but I'm comfortable with my current pay cheque and dont want to give too much of that up. But there comes a point where happiness and quality of life has to overcomes wealth.

Were due to move south to Wiltshire mid next year, which I am kind of looking forward to from a hobby standpoint, fishing will be mint. But that alone wont be enough to keep me in.
I've had a masterplan in my head where I go back into Further education and study Forestry, but I dont know the viability of that at present.

Soldato
I left the RN last year to start training as a civvie air traffic controller, couldn't even wait out another 18m for the 12yr point - mostly because I knew I would imminently join the ranks of absent dads.

Just a word of advice, with the state of the economy make sure you look at FTRS positions on SERVE.
Wish I'd not been so closed off to it, I'm working in an AFCO and predominantly WFH which will be the norm now.
Sacrifice 9% wage for xfactor.

Wish I'd taken this when I left, looking at how ATC training turned out - could have just back in my house up north and kept a cushy wage.

Either way, good luck.
Grass is really greener!

Soldato
As said, job security is a big factor for many. Fortunately for family, I don't move around too much and now I'm being qualified up to the eyeballs it makes me easily employable both inside or out. Problem is, like many, that full pension point isn't too far away now. However, I could earn at least another 50% outside contracting...

One thing is for sure, always keep your options open.

Soldato

12 years, two very different main tours, 3 trips to the Falklands (twice to the same god forsaken mountain site), one trip to UAE and two short trips to the USA (one getting stuck snowed in, in Maine... and I thought the Falklands was cold :|). Lots of memories, some great, some terrible, but in the end priorities change and there are just too many factors making the choice to leave at that magic 12 year point the overwhemingly right one for me and my expanding family. What ultimately sealed the deal for me was witnessing someone out in Minhad skyping his toddler on their birthday. He applied for early termination that very day, and I remember promising myself I wouldn't put myself in that position. 2 years later, mission accomplished :cool:

So goodbye and good luck to you Soldiers, Sailors and... Aviators :o I want to say you won't need it but, in all likelihood, you will!

Firstly, get some time in ;)

Also i'm jealous! I'm well and truly stuck in the pension trap now!

Got yourself something lined up?

Caporegime

Good riddance tbh. Absolute displeasure to have worked with you.

Associate
20 years for me today (technically 3 days for a queen before that...) and wouldn’t change it. Thankful for the firefighters having a union to change the pension through the courts, almost makes up for having to cover for them 18 years ago...

Soldato
20 years for me today (technically 3 days for a queen before that...) and wouldn’t change it. Thankful for the firefighters having a union to change the pension through the courts, almost makes up for having to cover for them 18 years ago...

Have we had any updates on the pension stuff recently?

Back
Top Bottom