Mafia Trilogy Remaster

Soldato
The original was by far my favourite game. I first had it on a PC that ran it at about 15fps but played through it anyway as it was so enjoyable. Just finished the new one, but it just didn't grab me like the original. It was good, but not quite the same. The characters were more difficult to really invest in and so it all just felt a little more disconnected. Also as has been mentioned the world just didn't seem quite as immersive somehow. The comparison of photos above brings back some great memories.

Agree with the not being able to get good cards to begin with. Or guns. I seem to remember first getting the colt 1911 as it being a big thing, then eventually getting to work up to the tommy gun. Seems you just get everything straight away in this.

After mafia 1 was out I remember everyone wanting a prequel story about the 2 dons from mafia 1 and their back story.

I'm getting through mafia 1 and more than ever I really hope this is the next game story. Back to 1920s time, 2 characters that are interesting and could have a good story to tell

Caporegime
I've just started playing Mafia 3 the definitive edition.
It's honestly really good so far, although I expect it to get quite samey fast, but I'm really enjoying the game play for the most part.

Did anyone else get surprised by how well it plays?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Not yet, I only started playing the first one on Friday, so I’ve a way to go before I get to the third one. :D

Liking it so far though.

These are my issues below with the game so far.

I've put them in quotes to help avoid anyone from reading them if they don't wish to be slightly spoiled.

:D:confused::eek::(:mad::o:rolleyes::):p;)

Slight spoilers below

1. Im sure there was lots of talking to Frank and learning how to unlock cars in the original game, at least on pretty much the first 5/6 missions. I think I've had 2 and they've given up with this idea. Frank seems totally useless so far.
  2. Lucas bartone is another that so far has been totally unused. I'm sure again by the point I'm at, I had visited him at least a couple times, and his missions were optional extras if I wanted to do.
  3. They have removed some of the driving from a to b parts. Disappointing tbh as driving through the city is enjoyable for me when you try to drive sensibly and stick to the law.
  4. Playing classic can be ridiculously hard. Some missions I've spent hours over and over doing the same section. Made only worse as loading times are poor, and often I can die within seconds of loading up
  5. Guns feel totally valueless. Getting a mission with a colt 1911 was a real treat. That's totally gone.
  6. I really wish the game didn't point to the exact place you have to go next. The giant square is frustrating.
  7. Shooting while driving was good before as you had to aim as you drove and could aim for tyres, the driver, gas tank etc. Now you just have auto aim and click when it's found a target for 1/2 seconds to guarantee a hit.
  8. There seems to be just one way to do each mission. Original mafia was a plain open world but with multiple ways to acheive some missions, similar to hitman games where you could poison the food or just go gun blazing etc. Mafia DE seems to be more scripted, more linear andudt he done exactly the way hanger13 wants you to do the mission.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I agree...
Im sure there was lots of talking to Frank and learning how to unlock cars in the original game, at least on pretty much the first 5/6 missions. I think I've had 2 and they've given up with this idea. Frank seems totally useless so far.
You talked to Ralf to unlock a new car at the start of most missions. You wouldn't be able to steal them if you hadn't been shown how to break into them by Ralf. A few key lines by Frank have been removed, like advising the Don not to trust Tommy when he first joins "I wouldn't trust him so much, he's just joined now because he has nowhere else to go". Salieri says some of his content now.

Lucas bartone is another that so far has been totally unused. I'm sure again by the point I'm at, I had visited him at least a couple times, and his missions were optional extras if I wanted to do.
In the original you would visit Lucas after most missions and unlock faster cars. He is completely removed (I am on the penultimate mission at the moment) after the race mission, even if at the race mission he says "thanks I owe you, come and see me". I assume in the bank mission I will get a fast car from him or something.

They have removed some of the driving from a to b parts. Disappointing tbh as driving through the city is enjoyable for me when you try to drive sensibly and stick to the law
Yeah a few bits are now cutscene, after playing it for 19h including a fair bit of free ride, I don't mind the odd drive across town being remvoed.

Playing classic can be ridiculously hard. Some missions I've spent hours over and over doing the same section. Made only worse as loading times are poor, and often I can die within seconds of loading up
I'm playing "fully" classic and it is difficult but still easier than the original game, if you don't know where all the bad guys are off by heart! Some of the scripted sequences are pretty hard. The loading times are a little too long and sometimes I need to press enter twice to get back into the game which is also frustrating when I'm frustrated!

Guns feel totally valueless. Getting a mission with a colt 1911 was a real treat. That's totally gone.
You can pick any weapon + full ammo you want from Vinny's metal cage room thing at the start of a mission (even if you're not instructed to go there). The pistols seem pretty rubbish as they're not very accurate but by the mid game the tommy gun is everywhere and I don't think the enemies need more powerful weapons than that!

I really wish the game didn't point to the exact place you have to go next. The giant square is frustrating.

There seems to be just one way to do each mission. Original mafia was a plain open world but with multiple ways to acheive some missions, similar to hitman games where you could poison the food or just go gun blazing etc. Mafia DE seems to be more scripted, more linear andudt he done exactly the way hanger13 wants you to do the mission.

This is my main issue with the game - it's very heavily "scripted". Heavily scripted chase sequences or events looked crap in GTA IV, crap in GTA V and crap in this. You have to do precisely what the game tells you to. Go here, do this, this thing will happen, go here etc; and when you try to fight back against the scripting (I took a shortcut to get head of a car I was chasing in a scripted chase sequence) it goes spectacularly wrong as the rubber banding comes into effect etc. The game tries so hard to build immersion but when something stupid or illogical happens (like getting dozens of headshots, seeing blood go everywhere, on the dude you're chasing in a car but he doesn't die until he is allowed to die in a car crash) it breaks that immersion. The original was much more open and without HUD markers or anything. It's a modern remake but itself 5 years out of date I feel!

Soldato
You wouldn't be able to steal them if you hadn't been shown how to break into them by Ralf.

I jacked the yellow lassiter car as soon as I saw one, which in original they were teased but you couldn't get inside, tommy in de just opened it up, this is like mission 2 or something :(

Soldato
Finished the remake. It is good, graphically beautiful. It is however weaker than the original in some respects. Car physics is more arcadey, music is much, much, much worse, missions are much more linear and less open to player experimentation, and worst of all, the ending has been rewritten in such a way that it makes it really kinda cliched and banal. Original game had much stronger, gut-punchier ending.
Still, I enjoyed it. While I would give original game 10/10, I would give the remake 8/10. It is definitely NOT the "definitive edition" of Mafia, and it does not replace the original. It is a fun game though.

I got a big appetite to replay the original though, so I installed it, then the remastered mod, here is quick and dirty comparison (max detail on both):

Original:

mafiascreenshot2020.0u6joc.png

Remake:

mafiadefinitiveeditiof8k61.png

Soldato
@Paul_cz is that the steam version or disk version? I've struggled to get the overhaul working on both, as it complains about securom.

I actually had to rebuy it on steam because my CD version is useless due me not having a dvd drive anymore. So it is a steam version, and it was really straightforward, just install it, run it once, then download the mod
https://www.moddb.com/mods/mafia-remastered/downloads

Install it, I also selected the option to restore the music and it works.

I love these oldschool beautiful skies :)

mafiascreenshot2020.091kjn.png

mafiascreenshot2020.0vsk4s.png

Soldato
OP
Well I've now completed the Definitive Edition on Classic Mode. The ending is a little better, but a bit disappointed with the lack of things I've unlocked (nothing). I was hoping to be able to customise freeride a bit like the old game but nope. The game is not going to replace Mafia 1 but it is a fairly good game. The scripted nature of it shows its age

I'm also annoyed the race track stays firmly locked up. The description for free ride says "explore the map in its entirety" and the racetrack is definitely on the map. Why is it locked off? If it is DLC I will be quite grumpy.

There are definitely freeride extreme style missions in free ride. Have a look around the Salieri buildings to find instructions on this ;)

Soldato
Ok as a massive fan of the games I have been holding off on this because I don't trust todays 'remakes'. I have just seen Worth A Buy's first few mins playing the game and it has more or less made me want to avoid it right off the bat.

Why change the intro music? Why change Paulie and Sam's entire skeletal structure not to mention faces? Wtf are these icons on the map that lead to scripted cut scenes during the initial chase? Is it true you can't even ride the sodding trains?

Soldato
I'm on the last few missions and I agree it's been dumbed down in certain regards. Also, the music is indeed worse.

The atmosphere is still there and I'm really enjoying it for what it is but part of it is the tremendous nostalgia I feel towards the original game that allows me to overlook some things. I like it more than I would if it was a new title. The rigid mission structure does show its age clearly.

I'm glad they didn't turn this into GTA and kept the story itself the focal point but the city has such potential it feels like a waste to leave it so empty.

So far I'd rate it the same as Paul, 8/10 and 10/10 for the original but I'm afraid about the ending... Of all things, that's the one they shouldn't have rewritten. The game does some story bits better (even though I hoped for even more fleshing out) but if the ending falls flat on its face, I'll be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom