Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
OP
Matched shower screen and filter basket is definitely worth it - i do remember back in the depths of this thread when someone was ribbed for buying a nanocoated basket but IMS or VST do seem to make a real difference to the pour :) \

How have you found going to 14g Raymond - i'm tempted so i can get away with an extra coffee in the day but not convinced its going to give enough flavour.

Caporegime
Matched shower screen and filter basket is definitely worth it - i do remember back in the depths of this thread when someone was ribbed for buying a nanocoated basket but IMS or VST do seem to make a real difference to the pour :) \

How have you found going to 14g Raymond - i'm tempted so i can get away with an extra coffee in the day but not convinced its going to give enough flavour.

It's fine, I drink Americano most of the time so it's diluted anyway. I found I was getting too much of a buzz when I was doing 18g, I can feel it in my head the hour after drinking it so I physically felt the need to drop it down a bit. Plus dropping 4g per shot makes a bag lasts longer.

Soldato

I think the baskets definitely makes a difference in the cup, showerscreen I’m less certain of but then the IMS one is easier to clean up. I found the VST does really focus the mind on prep though as they aren’t very forgiving if your grind or tamping is off.

That being said, having recently upgraded to a Lelit Bianca (from a Silvia) I’ve found it more forgiving of poor prep even with the VST. I suspect due to better temp stability, more consistent pressure etc.

Caporegime
I have installed an IMS screen for a few years, I can't really tell what benefits it had. I've even replaced that internal block that came out too when the old one looked really manky. I have another new brass one to replace it next time. Seals I've changed multple times.

The biggest difference out of all of them, is the basket. I am going to brave in using it in the naked portafilter to see if it's squirts everywhere.

Associate
Rave is tiny (well, not tiny like 1 guy in his garage), they have a warehouse (next to a couple of other shops) in Cheltenham with a few parking spaces out front.

The warehouse at the back you can see from the shop at the front and you can see all the coffee beans, roasting machines and packed coffee. Compared to SquareMile (in James Hoffmann's tour of their office), Rave feels about half the size at least actual space wise..
Thanks, I go that way sometimes so will put it down as a potential visit. They do very well for a small operation then, I wonder if they make any money.

Man of Honour
OP
Rave does seem a bit commercial now. Try Dorset coffee company over Rave. Their Australian skyberry is very nice. £23 a kilo of beans.

I think Rave have just been very good at their marketing etc - I do wholeheartedly recommend trying different roasters though, there are so many excellent options around and more popping up all the time.
In fact my brother is just starting to roast semi commercially - should be getting some beans through from him any day now...

Soldato
Second this, there's so much choice right now. Since March I've been making a lot more coffee and for 6 months would always order from somewhere new.

Only in September did I actually make a repeat order because I found exactly what I like. Amazingly, from Coffeelink, who don't appear to be all that small or premium. But I loved the coffee I got, so I'm trying it again!

Soldato
Still enjoying Neighbourhood beans the most at the moment. Got another delivery of their Centrals Collection today which was annoyingly mixed up so I got 3 bags pre-ground for Aeropress. Might have to try getting a decent espresso off them with a large dose. They've sent out the whole bean replacements today so I'm gonna have plenty to play with :p

Caporegime
If it sprays everywhere you're doing it wrong. Slightly finer grind or increase the dose :)

As for daily usage.. I prefer the naked Portafilter personally. I'm also concerned about the layer of coffee scum that builds up in the spouts.

Been using bottomless for atleast 4 years every day now. Very rarely do I get any spray.

Caporegime
If it sprays everywhere you're doing it wrong. Slightly finer grind or increase the dose :)

As for daily usage.. I prefer the naked Portafilter personally. I'm also concerned about the layer of coffee scum that builds up in the spouts.

Been using bottomless for atleast 4 years every day now. Very rarely do I get any spray.

I dunno where I can go wrong.

Fresh beans, check.
Correct weight, check.
Good grinder, check.
VST basket, check.

The only variable I can’t control is the pressure and the temp in the machine as it doesn’t have PID but everything I have control over I ticked the box. I know it’s not be all and end all but the duration isn’t too quick or too long, it’s about 25-30s.

Caporegime
As I suggested, slightly finer grind (e.g. I only need tk rotate the collar on my mazzer 1mm to make a noticeable difference) or add another 0.1-0.5g to your dose.
There's also the distribution and tamping debate to be had - removing clumps etc and ensuring you tamp with enough pressure to squeeze out any channels/gaps.

Spraying is usually a sign that the grind is either too loose or too coarse and channels/cracks are appearing in the puck during the pull.

Caporegime
Note to self, change the seals REGULARLY! Took me 2hrs to get these out, each piece by piece. Tried the screw in and pull technique but it would not budge. Ended up just keep putting in screws in around the same spot to remove enough to pile it out but only came out section by section.

SCx0HAf.jpg

0485BCc.jpg

EiHhn3P.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Those silicone ones are so much better anyway. Form a better seal _and_ last so much longer. No matter which machine I buy next, it will get the rubber seal replaced with a silicone one (unless it comes equipped already, duh).

Soldato
(like changing car oil) you removed it when it was hot, I got the last one out with a modelling scalpel cutting across it.

I have a badly shaped bottomless portafilter, with basket overlapping it's rim - that's why i have spray issues.

Back
Top Bottom