MSI GE66 Raider or Lenovo Legion 7i

Soldato
I think sticking with a desktop would be your best bet....

I'm really happy with my 7i maybe i got an extra good one...lol I also had a G75 and they were great machines.

Soldato
OP
I think sticking with a desktop would be your best bet....

I'm really happy with my 7i maybe i got an extra good one...lol I also had a G75 and they were great machines.

Funny you should say that. I came across a screenshot a few day ago that I had taken on my phone years ago of a post you made on here dated 18th Dec 2014 explaining how you had solved the wireless issue that I too had been having with the G751. :) I must have screenshot the post to attempt the same fix on my own machine.

Man of Honour
I bought a laptop for the same reason. Young children and a wife who I wanted to spend time with in the evening.

I’m maybe more tolerant of a few things but maybe spending the best part of £3k on mine I had to be. Definitely don’t have any complaints however even with the compromises.

Soldato
OP
I bought a laptop for the same reason. Young children and a wife who I wanted to spend time with in the evening.

I’m maybe more tolerant of a few things but maybe spending the best part of £3k on mine I had to be. Definitely don’t have any complaints however even with the compromises.

Is that the GE66?

I did really like the GE66, even though its key travel felt very shallow and its speaker sound quality was poor - and if it were just these two issues I would have kept it as its thermal performance and low noise emissions were great - it was the high pitched noise I could hear coming from the CPU that put me off. I tried two units from different stores and both had the same issue, so either im really unlucky and got two units with poor quality CPU fans or my ears are particularly suseptical to that noise.

Credit to MSI though, both units I tried had no backlight bleed and no IPS glow that I could see.

Soldato
OP

It looks like the larger 17” laptops might be the way to go.

That machine looks like a beast.

I would be concerned about the placement of the battery being so close to the CPU and GPU however. Although this has got me looking into the Aorus 17G or even the 17X. Might end up giving one of them a try, just waiting on the refund for the 7i.

Man of Honour
I find the 15" too small and I would end up squinting at the screen. The 17" offers the best compromise plus the quality is exceptional on my one. The overall build of my one is pretty solid, considering it is thin and light. It gets hot granted, but it's hardly ever on my lap. I use a small table next to the sofa, job done. I always run it in silent mode too, and when I feel it hotting up I give it a quick coolerboost for a few minutes. I like the manual control. It suits me perfectly. Yes its expensive, yes it can get noisy. But it's just sublime.

Soldato
Funny you should say that. I came across a screenshot a few day ago that I had taken on my phone years ago of a post you made on here dated 18th Dec 2014 explaining how you had solved the wireless issue that I too had been having with the G751. :) I must have screenshot the post to attempt the same fix on my own machine.

Nice to be helpful :). I still have a G75 somewhere was being used by the kids until it turned off and would not come back on might have to dig it out and see what’s up...

Back
Top Bottom