• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Please do realise WHQL doesn't mean anything ... it just means a particular version of the drivers has been "verified and approved" by Microsoft, whatever that may mean. It doesn't mean they're better than any other particular ones.

AMD classes these as 'Recommended' drivers, everything else is beta. I just stick to recommended only since I had issues with beta drivers.

Associate
WHQL means the drivers have been certified to correctly operate with the relevant iteration of Windows, and has nothing to do with how they interface with the hardware. That would be down to the hardware and software designer, and not something Microsoft would be in a position to certify.

Both are as important as each other, unless you are on Linux.

Permabanned
Please do realise WHQL doesn't mean anything ... it just means a particular version of the drivers has been "verified and approved" by Microsoft, whatever that may mean. It doesn't mean they're better than any other particular ones.

Verification and approval probably means that there should be no bugs and the release is tested for stability.
AMD releases Betas which have nothing to do with 100% stability and often are very unstable and/or are 100% beta in the true sense of the term.

Soldato
Verification and approval probably means that there should be no bugs and the release is tested for stability.
AMD releases Betas which have nothing to do with 100% stability and often are very unstable and/or are 100% beta in the true sense of the term.

WHQL drivers aren't bug free nor stable by default. Plenty of evidence of that in the past.

Associate

AMD also releases betas which have been working really well, bad drivers have actually been quite rare these past years.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I think it is safe to say, another issue if you look at the recent nvidia driver (fix for 30 series) and watch the HU video, if you run the same hardware under linux and cannot replicate the crashing, its also brings into play the Windows build/updates that can cause instability for GPU vendors. I always thought the people that were plagued with their 5700XT's crashing or odd behaviour would somehow need to look at their windows setup as you cant rule out that is a reason for troubles.

Caporegime
Anyone else had issues with PC waking from sleep with 20.9.2? Perfect for a couple of months but these new drivers don't seem to like it too much! Damn I might have to go back :(

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I realised that the monitor problem I had from waking was actually the monitor itself. I found it on reddit somewhere, but basically if I get the warning/crash message in windows its not the GPU thats at fault - as in - if I power cycle the monitor, it brings itself out of mode properly and the settings work perfect. Didnt know this I always thought it was a driver thing with the GPU a while back.

Associate
Yeah that's not fixed at all.
It's frustrating how certain issues persist for such a long time. The oldest one I know of is the cursor corruption where it turns into a vertical stripy line, which has existed for years, across multiple GPU architectures, stretching back to when they were still ATI.

Associate
Yeah that's not fixed at all.

Working correctly on Vega, although some monitoring software may not have yet moved over to the same register.
Radeon-driver-20-9-2-GPU-memory-register-change.jpg

Back
Top Bottom