What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
@fobose , not AC but a different kind of ventilation. It's the hole for the vent from an en-suite shower that's been out of commission ever since I discovered the previous owners of this house had the extraction fan just blowing in to the loft space. Then they covered it with insulation and then covered it with loft boards. Numpties! All that moist air just condensing but I reckon I got it in time. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow once I'm finished.

Rather than lifting the loft boards (nailed in you see :rolleyes:) I just routed out a hole in the boards and thankfully my Routabout saved me from a bit of a shock. Not really, I knew the cable was there and that the router's bit wouldn't hit it, but still, I hate it when electricians are lazy and notch the beams for the cables rather than make a hole in the middle of the beam.

y4m7hcPGMsxQfLBK3SDlrjU2_mB_skVDTLh2dKFvawzfTE8zA2AwT64Jk1PdhtdmdIBz32BoVFkgYHDrUXejiaG1hiWx6Cd2DpY4MHhwAkG5B2pfQZ5FubIhW8oEv6ONksJbYyqBbc7bFcoEqK0IMwToDSUvbPPJHjqZiJDT-C5GNdS30VQWv_akaET239susFN

nice clean cut :)

Soldato
Cheers @ik9000 , I went with dry with frequent vacuuming out the dust. Thankfully my drill has a good clutch or I would have been thrown around the loft or broke an arm when the core drill caught.

keep the cores. They make excellent door stops. apply a sealer to the faces to stop any dustiness and job done. Just don't stub your toe on them!

Associate
As previously with the boring job, I'm now exhausted :). Finished the bathroom extractor fan (Vent-Axia ACM100T).

y4myXIta3gO5Jvu9kqfn-iTMErQIeBWLVk0Uij7YlHu-eVwBiy8vYvhnlu7bGGzC6CFe-rMdDes0FwQD1FozaFRuL8n9JuIXNDcZyt0CXdoGmzgWkbxhu8911NbqisgzeOp-O2LK7vxIStYG2vOxMYBHAS-nwSYc3OwPi72Ja6Mpsd33a2T-NQJLmlP6ukUOi5c

Not your typical install; I used 100mm soil pipe and fittings rather than the flexible corrugated tubing. The flexible stuff collects moisture which condenses and sits in the corrugations and eventually rots the tubing. I had a distance of over 3m to the outside wall so would have been a lot of corrugations and would have sagged without propping up. With the soil pipe the airflow is unimpeded and if any moisture does remain and condense in the pipe it'll run outside. The Vent-Axia fan is near silent and the extraction rate is really impressive (220m³/hr).

y4mbFB4Wr_7EmsIj2QTxqpJ7WuJGa7b3JTl9UfBri9KJeMdbPKR2ienYJpC6WCNNsr4rjP6vGWoBKaHVxiAPiL8GUIlW3k1PHUMjY6F7YHYX-r8hBofiWi9Z6WEaxHipGEelCJDeI3k0O9RxXgNwIcfqba9NNairz7MtQ9XONS6aWBZMaVcnsVQOsNoDXq1_f0U

I just need something to prop up the bend above so I can reclaim my spirit level!

Soldato
I just need something to prop up the bend above so I can reclaim my spirit level!

how deep are those core fragments? Would one of those work? If not then some ply or wood block etc.

Interesting comment about the concertina ducting. Some muppet has used that from our toilet outflow. I will need to get that removed at some point. I'm hoping it's got a better pipe inside it but part of me just fears it won't. So much else here has been botched.

Associate
Yes @fobose, a block of wood or as ik9000 suggests one of my core samples trimmed to fit!

@ik9000, the flexible ducting can be used if going vertical for example but for runs I stay clear of it. See the youtube clip below for what happens when done wrong. As for using it for a toilet, that's mental! Maybe it's different purpose made stuff though.

Soldato
Yes @fobose, a block of wood or as ik9000 suggests one of my core samples trimmed to fit!

@ik9000, the flexible ducting can be used if going vertical for example but for runs I stay clear of it. See the youtube clip below for what happens when done wrong. As for using it for a toilet, that's mental! Maybe it's different purpose made stuff though.

when we had the place rewired we found electric cables capped with sticking plaster and splice joints wrapped in masking tape. So mental is probably right. I would not put money on it being purpose made stuff. I will fish out a photo tomorrow.

Soldato
how deep are those core fragments? Would one of those work? If not then some ply or wood block etc.

Interesting comment about the concertina ducting. Some muppet has used that from our toilet outflow. I will need to get that removed at some point. I'm hoping it's got a better pipe inside it but part of me just fears it won't. So much else here has been botched.
Watch out - I've seen several homes near me who had this fitted to their toilet waste and rats climb up and chew through it. Seriously. Apparently they follow the light up. Then you've got a *****y smelling room and a rat problem...

Soldato
Watch out - I've seen several homes near me who had this fitted to their toilet waste and rats climb up and chew through it. Seriously. Apparently they follow the light up. Then you've got a *****y smelling room and a rat problem...
! That is not ideal. It's in a built in closet thing so not much light. Once I put the panel back on it. Which I will be doing asap now!

Soldato
As previously with the boring job, I'm now exhausted :). Finished the bathroom extractor fan (Vent-Axia ACM100T).

y4myXIta3gO5Jvu9kqfn-iTMErQIeBWLVk0Uij7YlHu-eVwBiy8vYvhnlu7bGGzC6CFe-rMdDes0FwQD1FozaFRuL8n9JuIXNDcZyt0CXdoGmzgWkbxhu8911NbqisgzeOp-O2LK7vxIStYG2vOxMYBHAS-nwSYc3OwPi72Ja6Mpsd33a2T-NQJLmlP6ukUOi5c

Not your typical install; I used 100mm soil pipe and fittings rather than the flexible corrugated tubing. The flexible stuff collects moisture which condenses and sits in the corrugations and eventually rots the tubing. I had a distance of over 3m to the outside wall so would have been a lot of corrugations and would have sagged without propping up. With the soil pipe the airflow is unimpeded and if any moisture does remain and condense in the pipe it'll run outside. The Vent-Axia fan is near silent and the extraction rate is really impressive (220m³/hr).

y4mbFB4Wr_7EmsIj2QTxqpJ7WuJGa7b3JTl9UfBri9KJeMdbPKR2ienYJpC6WCNNsr4rjP6vGWoBKaHVxiAPiL8GUIlW3k1PHUMjY6F7YHYX-r8hBofiWi9Z6WEaxHipGEelCJDeI3k0O9RxXgNwIcfqba9NNairz7MtQ9XONS6aWBZMaVcnsVQOsNoDXq1_f0U

I've got the same Vent Axia fan but 150mm going to my bathroom. I had to mount it from bungee cords in the end because even on rubber feet it was sending audible vibrations down through the chipboard/joists.

You might want to watch out for condensation in your run as technically your supposed to use insulated ducting in the loft space but you could wrap the pipe if needed.

Soldato
I can't stand not having a splashback. Had a SS one when we moved in but only an upstand like the above pic for the rest of the kitchen. I tiled the whole lot as I was fed up of splatter marks on the wall!

Back
Top Bottom