• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
You said earlier you had a Dell/AMD laptop. But the corp situation is very different to the consumer situation.

We mostly buy laptops FYI. Desktops are rare these days - mostly CAD boxes.

I have an acquaintance / occasional colleague in Germany, the company he works for have exactly the same problem with their Dell supplier, they just stonewall any AMD request.

Soldato
We mostly buy laptops FYI. Desktops are rare these days - mostly CAD boxes.

Well there you go then, AMD are nowhere with laptops at the moment from a volume perspective. It's taken them over a year to get the Zen2 based APU's out vs. the normal desktop parts and they still haven't hit anywhere near the numbers they need to. It's going to be tough with Tiger Lake now out as well, they really need to push hard.

Caporegime
I have an acquaintance / occasional colleague in Germany, the company he works for have exactly the same problem with their Dell supplier, they just stonewall any AMD request.
Which illustrates the problem AMD still have getting into the OEM market. The ties between certain vendors and Intel are strong and lasting.

Associate
We saw this with some of our vendors before as well, no to AMD even when they were kicking several shades out of the p4 era junk intel produces.

We just stop using those vendors :) i mean..... if they are not flexible over a cpu then well what else do they want to pull on you?

Soldato
Makes you wonder what Intels bank account looks like, they've been sat on older nodes for ages, if they suddenly turned round to TSMC and dropped a load of cash and put their processors to 7nm+, how would that effect clock speeds/performance etc.

Caporegime
We saw this with some of our vendors before as well, no to AMD even when they were kicking several shades out of the p4 era junk intel produces.

We just stop using those vendors :) i mean..... if they are not flexible over a cpu then well what else do they want to pull on you?

For some people its not as simple as that, a vendors services can be entirely intertwined with your infrastructure and it can be very difficult and expensive to get it all untangled.

Soldato
Makes you wonder what Intels bank account looks like, they've been sat on older nodes for ages, if they suddenly turned round to TSMC and dropped a load of cash and put their processors to 7nm+, how would that effect clock speeds/performance etc.

Intel make way more than just CPUs, they have loads of money in the bank and are not in any trouble at all.

Soldato
As a corp customer, we literally cannot buy an AMD system from Dell. We are tied to Dell via a multi-year contract.

Dell will not sell us any equipment with AMD in it. We have asked repeatedly, and the answer is just, "No, sorry."

Its the same with mates in companies and academia,Dell seems to be far more Intel orientated. Even with some of the HEDT workstations its the same.

I want Intel to survive, unless they REALLY #### up that's a given anyway and without competition we would just be trading a Blue Intel for a Red Intel, AMD WILL stagnate and overcharge without competition.

But right now i'd like to see AMD grow to at least parity with Intel in wealth and market share, only then will we have true competition, Intel of course will do everything they can to stop that.

Keep nibbling AMD....

What are AMD's colours these days? is it still Green? or is it Red? The Logo is Black now....?

Agreed we need both companies to push each other,as we in the end the customer will win.

Caporegime
tbh as leak suggested last year intel themselves said they had nothing for amd cpu wise until 2021

so they were atleast pretty honest and obviously knew about amd cpus.

Associate
I'm a little behind on the leaks, just caught up with the recent CPU ones. Are there any X670 leaks? If it exists at all, that is.
No news about X670, not since 2019
If it is coming at all, it won't be alongside Zen 3. Else there'd be a ton of pics and leaks and bios updates from various OEMs this close to launch

Associate
In terms of pricing I wouldn't be surprised if AMD went higher as they will be able to get away with it. Which is a shame.

Is there going to be a 5700X?

Caporegime
Its the same with mates in companies and academia,Dell seems to be far more Intel orientated. Even with some of the HEDT workstations its the same

Intel sell better as they have the decades of mindshare and have traditionally had more high-end features like the various forms of Thunderbolt throughout that time. They are seen as more premium in the eyes of the majority of consumers and that sells more notebooks.

Permabanned
Yeah, the new 6 core will match the outgoing 8 core in MT

The benchmarks show otherwise:

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r20_multi_core-10

and beat it by a significant margin in ST, just like 3600 vs 2700.

Progress... almost forgotten what that looks like.

I don't know - I don't see any logic that people advocate that a new lower core count CPU should or has to be faster than the recent CPUs with more cores.

I think AMD's task must be to give that 6-core in the Ryzen 3 price range and tier already.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
Intel sell better as they have the decades of mindshare and have traditionally had more high-end features like the various forms of Thunderbolt throughout that time. They are seen as more premium in the eyes of the majority of consumers and that sells more notebooks.

Its because Dell,etc get assistance from Intel,as I mentioned before. This is something AMD does need to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom