Google Pixel 5

Associate
Ouch! did you insult him to receive such treatment? :p :D

I'd of prefered YouTube music to be fair. Seems odd both freebies are competitor's to google lol

Did they confirm still delivered on the 15th ? , I'm wondering if to cancel my order with Google and swop to CPW as my Google dispatch is currently showing as 27th.

I ordered yesterday and he confirmed 15th delivered as that was one of my questions as to if this would impede on my delivery date as I'd of just stuck with black if it did, but he said it would not and still expected 15th. Whether they can still offer that date I'm not sure with stock levels

Associate
Has this been confirmed? I don't understand this as I still have the original Chromecast and that supports pretty much all UK TV streaming apps, will I still be able to 'cast' apps like All 4 from my phone to the new Chrome cast TV?

l’ve only gone on what has been on the Shield TV.

Yes you’ll still be able to cast apps.

But now you mention it, BBC isn’t on that pic and looking at the iPlayer App on the Play store, it looks like Nvidia has exclusivity on it.

If that’s the case then that’s a major stumbling block. Can’t not have iPlayer if you’re doing a streaming device in the UK.

Soldato
Any chance skygo would be available on the Google TV?

hahahahahahahahaha, good one mate

If you do decide to buy one, be prepared for a proper gimped out product compared to the US version. Where streaming service integration is concerned, the UK sucks at it.

The absolute best you can hope for, is a port of the now tv app.

Permabanned
Damn, with a focus more on mid range I was hoping for something with a little more staying power, especially at that price. That's a lot of money for a mid range device... you can get a hell of a lot of phone for that sort of money these days, especially if you're willing to go second hand.

l’ve only gone on what has been on the Shield TV.

Yes you’ll still be able to cast apps.

But now you mention it, BBC isn’t on that pic and looking at the iPlayer App on the Play store, it looks like Nvidia has exclusivity on it.

If that’s the case then that’s a major stumbling block. Can’t not have iPlayer if you’re doing a streaming device in the UK.

But as long as you can cast to it from your phone that that shouldn't really be a problem really, the only difference will be that the app isn't downloadable of the device itself, that is correct isn't it?

Soldato
I've spotted some incorrect information on their spec sheet.

It shows only the 5 is water resistant and the 4a5g / 4a are not water resistant. Yet if you read the small-print it claims that all 3 models have an IPx8 rating.

Soldato
Only the 5 is IP68.

Not according to the small print:
Pixel 5: Pixel 5 has a water protection rating of IPX8 under IEC standard 60529. Charger and accessories are not water resistant. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and may be compromised due to normal wear and tear, repair, disassembly or damage.
Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL have a water protection rating of IPX8 under IEC standard 60529. Charger and accessories are not water resistant. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and may be compromised due to normal wear and tear, repair, disassembly or damage.

Associate
But as long as you can cast to it from your phone that that shouldn't really be a problem really, the only difference will be that the app isn't downloadable of the device itself, that is correct isn't it?

In essence, yes you can still cast from your phone. But it literally defeats the point of the new Chromecast and Google TV if it isn't there as an app.

Soldato
I've spotted some incorrect information on their spec sheet.

It shows only the 5 is water resistant and the 4a5g / 4a are not water resistant. Yet if you read the small-print it claims that all 3 models have an IPx8 rating.

Doesn't having a 3.5mm jack get rid of all hope of water resistance?

Soldato
That's weird. Most of the tech sites say it has IP68 but a few say IPX8.

Edit: On the comparison screen it says the 4a and 4a 5G have no IP rating at all.

Yeah that's what i saw, and thought it was a bit odd as they've been making IP68 phones for ~5+ years now, so would seem rather backwards for the 4a/4a5g to not have any IP.

I believe the IP68/IPX8 basically mean the same thing.

Doesn't having a 3.5mm jack get rid of all hope of water resistance?

Nope, they've been grading a lot of android phones for years with IP68 rating and they have a 3.5mm jack. My XZ1 is IP68 and has a 3.5mm jack, i think it's more to do with how sealed the charging port is.

Back
Top Bottom