Mountain Biking

Caporegime
Haha I've got a bottle mount on the Shan as I'll be using that more this winter in the evenings probably... And that the YT bottle mount was stupid expensive!

Can't on the Aeris. Can't wait for the new bike.

Yeah it is silly expensive, you can buy from 3rd parties though still not cheap!

Associate
My first day out with the new bike and it’s been amazing. Didn’t fall off or crash but holy moly the uphills killed me even in the granny gear haha.

Associate
Sorry if already mentioned, but lonely mountain worth a go if you have xbox pass. Don't think I've played another game that captures the rhythm of mtb quite so well.

Soldato
What winter trousers & jacket do you guys wear? so much rain lately i haven't done any cycling :( my current rain coat is not very breathable

Last edited:
Associate
What winter trousers & jacket do you guys wear? so much rain lately i haven't done any cycling :( my current rain coat is not very breathable
you really do get what you pay for... cheap jackets are either bad at keeping water out or aren't breathable, so you sweat so much you're just as wet...

I've used a Altura Mayhem 2 jacket for 5-6 years now and it's been amazing - out this morning and still waterproof while being breathable. But, I think it's a few seasons old so no longer available.

My Endura MT500 shorts have lost their waterproofness (as I found out this morning), so I could do with a new pair of shorts/trousers myself... (but, tbh, shorts get a LOT more abuse and washing than jackets, so it's understandable their life is shorter).

I guess it all depends on how much you're planning to ride in rain and thus how much you can justify on decent gear... I think Gore do decent stuff, but you're paying a premium there...

https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/best-waterproof-mountain-bike-jackets-337470
https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/best-mountain-bike-trousers-393509

Caporegime

Breathable + waterproof = £££.

I got a MTR recently, and it's awesome so breathable but deffo isn't keeping you dry in a downpour. But I can fit it in my bumbag, so I love it.

Soldato
I've got a MT500 jacket due to arrive today... looked at a few alternatives and nothing really comes close to the breathablity to be honest which is the most important to me.
Waterproofness is much of a muchness over a certain rating... I managed to pick up the MT500 jacket pretty cheap as it's the previous model compared to the recently released new one so waterproofness is slightly lower (18000 v 20000 - which is not going to make any real world difference) and breathability is actually higher by some margin (64000 v 40000).
I toyed with getting a MTR shell as it's something that will quite easily go in a hydration pack... but wanted something for the colder weather so opted for the MT500.

The best voted trousers there (the Fox) I'd stay away from personally. I've seen lots of people say the fabric is terrible and is not waterproof after only 2 rides.

Caporegime
I'm already wanting a full suspension ebike. I love my new hard tail. Never had a mtb before. And wish I got one sooner.

But then I've only been in Wales a year or so.

Soldato
I've got a MT500 jacket due to arrive today...

I've got the same jacket, managed to get it for £110 in the sale last Dec/Jan. Very happy with it, it's been fantastic. I didn't bother with the full length trousers, i got a pair of MT500 waterproof shorts and some waterproof socks, with some layers and padded shorts its kept me warm and dry over the winter riding i've done including snow/ice rides.

Caporegime
Why an ebike?

Its fixed my knee pain completely. Best thing I've ever bought!

I don't just mean I can bike without knee pain, I no longer have it.

I don't mind admitting I basically cried after having it a couple of days and I felt better than I had in 2 years

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh wow. Could it not be the improved riding position / bike setup of the new bike though rather than the electric assistance??
I get knee pain too if really hammering the bike in awkward positions which is all to do with bike setup/positioning...

Not saying that it's not the electric assistance just playing devils advocate from my own experiences.

Its fixed my knee pain completely. Best thing I've ever bought!
I don't just mean I can bike without knee pain, I no longer have it.
I don't mind admitting I basically cried after having it a couple of days and I felt better than I had in 2 years

Caporegime
Oh wow. Could it not be the improved riding position / bike setup of the new bike though rather than the electric assistance??
I get knee pain too if really hammering the bike in awkward positions which is all to do with bike setup/positioning...

Not saying that it's not the electric assistance just playing devils advocate from my own experiences.

I think it's a bit of everything.
So, the knee pain wasn't caused by cycling.

When I was on my racing bike (after a year of not using it) it actually hurt my knees. I assumed it was the force I applied to the pedals going up steep hills.

I assumed the ebike helped as it 'flattens the hills'.

But yes. It could well be position too. The mtb has a bigger frame..

After 2 rides that constant annoying pain was just gone.
Had x-rays and apparently no loss of cartilage. So no official diagnosis. But remedy is always 'physio' which has been very hit and miss.

Genuinely thought that was my life, constant knee pain and eventually replacement, but this has at least put that off for (hopefully) a long time

So this bike is as close to a miracle as you can get. For me anyway.

Below is a pic of my miracle bike

nBKUgvB.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
because they are the best thing ever! so much fun - faster n farther will never go back
I'm exploring places I'd never have gotten to before. If I get lost i don't have to worry about having enough strength or endurance to get home.

I also use it more because its more fun and easier.
Also. If you really want a hard ride. You can turn the motor off.

Ill never go back

Back
Top Bottom