Why has my system suddenly started stuttering?

Associate
Hi all, so

I have an 8700k/2080ti/32gb 3000mhz ram setup which has recently begun stuttering not just in games but in the desktop too. I mainly play siege and cap the framerate at 240fps but I don't run freesync so my monitor is always at 240hz.

I get these pauses in game play every 30 or so seconds. Given the high fps I can run it must be losing A LOT before recovering. I don't lose signal its just a really horrible stutter.

I've deleted all recently added programmes and run the game/whatever with just the minimum of apps going so discord, uplay, the game and that's about it other than what W10 dictates. I also use the free version of Bitdefender.

Depending on what's going on in game with an uncapped frame rate I can easily max both gpu and cpu out (I play at 1440p) so to rule and kind of usage issue out I have tried running at a lower capped framerate but with no difference. I've removed OC's etc but to no avail. It had been running solidly for ages and now this?

I've run latency monitor whilst playing and it came up with this.

6Oeo5HM.jpg

Any clues?

Permabanned
Did you update windows? 90us is high but will not do that, But the 1134 spike will thats over 1ms. I had a beauty of a system and windows needed updates for the 2080ti and its not been the same since.

If it is longer pauses though, It might be a virus but your system like mine is not optimal, Not only does Latencymon confirm but the numbers my last install had 55us max in pretty much any app or scenario and about 2-26us on idle.

look into HPET btw, And fullscreen optimization mode on win10. It will not be that but they will help maybe trim the system.

Associate
OP
This was one of the better results. Its nearly always way into the red within a few moments of running latency mon. I did try a fresh W10 install in the end and ddu'd everything before and after and made sure my c drive only had just the fresh W10 on it and the problem remained.

I've taken it to a retailer now as I'm out of ideas. I meant to refresh the bios even though it had the latest version but never got round to it. I'm curious whether the fix is going to straight forward to someone who knows what they're doing or if the fix is a blanket repair in the form of a new MB and CPU - just get rid of the problem altogether!

Permabanned
This was one of the better results. Its nearly always way into the red within a few moments of running latency mon. I did try a fresh W10 install in the end and ddu'd everything before and after and made sure my c drive only had just the fresh W10 on it and the problem remained.

I've taken it to a retailer now as I'm out of ideas. I meant to refresh the bios even though it had the latest version but never got round to it. I'm curious whether the fix is going to straight forward to someone who knows what they're doing or if the fix is a blanket repair in the form of a new MB and CPU - just get rid of the problem altogether!

Well goodluck, Let.me say that this is a dead part of the forum, And latency is notorious to fix. And i am certain if you do the silly thing and ask someone to repair it they will simply replace stuff for no reason.

The issue is software, You need to learn to tweak.and disable, Check for thermal throttling and unplug all devices. I previoulsly only had three issues. Windows,.A USB mic and Teamspeak. Using any of these tanked my DPC latency. I bet if you ran windows 7, All the issues would go away and highlight the culprit.

And Latencymon says its Nvidia? Thats why mine went from 50 to 130 as well recent windows has bad Nvidia latency but it did not cause a pause so that is very weird.

Associate
OP
Well, the company I've entrusted it with charge a set fee for diagnosis only. They won't go ahead with a hardware repair without authorisation, much like a car service or diagnosis.

I have checked for throttling but its no where near that thanks to the cooling that's installed. Before I took it for diagnosing I ran it with just its C drive, formatted and with a completely fresh install and it still did it. Baffling.

Soldato
It's almost probably a driver issue. Some Creative drivers had an issue with 1903 and was one of the reasons I held off for so long until they released an update which could at least alleviate things.

Permabanned
It's almost probably a driver issue. Some Creative drivers had an issue with 1903 and was one of the reasons I held off for so long until they released an update which could at least alleviate things.

Yup windows 1903 changed timers and broke a lot of soundcard drivers. They changed a lot of things in 1903 and 1909 it should not be hardwarw and no shop will diagnose high dpc or pauses i think. Thier market is take out and replace his issues are based around software i bet this and ive 20yrs of PC experience.

Theres no point owning a pc, And sending it off to a repairman. You need to diagnose and learn this stuff yourself really and fix it for free. And with windows its nearly a fulltime job. Windows 7 is free of all of this.

Had you installed Windows 7, You would know if it was really hardware related. As windows 7 would run with low dpc latency too. Where as Windows 10 is complete garbage at the minute. And everything on his end points towards Nvidia which i suspect is a conflict of drivers somewhere or untweaked settings.

OP you do run with power settings on max right? Power savings are off yes? Have you tweaked thia and the Nvidia power settings? Even your bios has come. Turn them all OFF and go full power mode as sleep states will do this.

Associate
If you're running Win10 2004 build, that can have an issue with its indexing. I found turning it completely off and removing any folders referenced can resolve it.

The real fix for me was go do a complete rebuild, so install 2004 then update it, then chipset drivers before doing anything else. Doing this fixed the indexing issues.

Between that and disabling rtx in COD I managed to fix all stuttering.

I think the release of DX12 ultimate has caused issues in some edge cases.

Associate
OP
I ended up replacing everything but my 2080ti and now that's gone whilst I wait for a 3080. Still stuttering! However I've had an idea after watching j2c's recent video and 30 series issues. My WiFi attenae is right under my pc and it's a ubiquiti access point which has some good range. I'm going to move it across the room to see if the stutter remains.

Soldato
One thing I've noticed recently is that if I'm playing a game and watching a Youtube video on a second screen then sometimes the frame rate halves or worse. The game is usually locked at 60fps (not through V-sync and can be unlocked in game) but if I've got a Youtube video on a second screen then the frame rate will either be 60fps or above (up above 100fps) or around 30fps - it's not been between the two.

Whether it's Youtube introducing a "feature" to enable smooth playback or something Nvidia have changed in their drivers I don't know, but this hasn't been an issue until a few days ago.

Associate
I had this and it was a pain in the backside.
I had to update my bios, then reinstall windows.
It was a dammed windows update that caused it for sure, plus I did not install the Nvidia graphics card sound drivers just the motherboard ones.
Ryzen 3700x, Tomahawkmax B450, 32g ram RTX2080 OC.
We both have 32g ram, is this the link?

Soldato
ok so I've fixed mine
it happened every time my wallpaper changed.
it MAY be related to the theme changing when you change wallpaper. or it may not.
see if changing that fixes it.

Back
Top Bottom