Random 3D printing chatter

Soldato
@LePhuronn - Did it turn up yet? Can you feel the quality? I obvoiusly paid top dolla for it and never really had a plan so hopefully its a good upgrade for you :)
The other half told me a package was delivered, but I'm expecting a few things. She's now not answering my texts (probably asleep or cleaning the rats out) so I can't confirm until I get home :D

Have to fully gut the **** tip that is my house for an inspection later this month (the joys of still renting at 42 years old :mad:) but it will give me the space to give the old printer a service and get the new bed in.

Man of Honour
The other half told me a package was delivered, but I'm expecting a few things. She's now not answering my texts (probably asleep or cleaning the rats out) so I can't confirm until I get home :D

Have to fully gut the **** tip that is my house for an inspection later this month (the joys of still renting at 42 years old :mad:) but it will give me the space to give the old printer a service and get the new bed in.

Awesome - The packaging was slightly pants but loads of bubble wrap, only one question to the mrs is required... Does the package look like a blind man wrapped it? That will give you all the answers you need! :D

Aye everybody need a roof over their heads, rented or not :) Just with renting you gotta appease the landlord rather than live like me in my own mess :D

Man of Honour
The landlord doesn't give two hoots (natch), I just got to keep the letting agent happy. Twice a year tidy up is enough :p (which is why Asteria II STILL isn't finished, no space to do anything)

Well hopefully this will give you something to do after. Let me know it all got there safe!

Soldato
Does anyone know of a UK seller that produces 3D Printed Scale Models ready printed, eg aircraft and particularly Helicopters ? I`m after a 1/180 scale helicopter and I found a site Shapeways.com in the USA who sell possibly what I am after but even for a cheap one it would cost me about £25 inc postage. If I`m going to pay that much then its not far off getting a cheap chinese 3d Printer clone for about £60-70 and doing it myself. (When in lockdown I toyed with getting one of the cheap chinese 3d Printers and did a lot of research on them in forums and such but then thought how much would I actually use it ?)

I could find a free 3d Model and get it printed on one of the many services you can find but not sure how I would resize it so it comes out the 1/180 scale I need. (I've got a Type 23 Frigate RC model project on the go and its 1/180 scale)

Associate
Does anyone know of a UK seller that produces 3D Printed Scale Models ready printed, eg aircraft and particularly Helicopters ? I`m after a 1/180 scale helicopter and I found a site Shapeways.com in the USA who sell possibly what I am after but even for a cheap one it would cost me about £25 inc postage. If I`m going to pay that much then its not far off getting a cheap chinese 3d Printer clone for about £60-70 and doing it myself. (When in lockdown I toyed with getting one of the cheap chinese 3d Printers and did a lot of research on them in forums and such but then thought how much would I actually use it ?)

I could find a free 3d Model and get it printed on one of the many services you can find but not sure how I would resize it so it comes out the 1/180 scale I need. (I've got a Type 23 Frigate RC model project on the go and its 1/180 scale)

Scale models are not easy to print and a £70 FDM printer isn't going cut it in my view.

There are a few 3d printing services in the UK, I think most of those are going to require you to provide the file.

J

Soldato
Scale models are not easy to print and a £70 FDM printer isn't going cut it in my view.

There are a few 3d printing services in the UK, I think most of those are going to require you to provide the file.

Maybe not but the ones I saw once you upgraded them with 3D self printed parts and a few other mods they didnt do such a bad job.
However thats more really of an excuse to buy one rather than just for the helicopter. :D

As for the UK ones yeah I know they require a file. For a complete noob and novice question if I had a helicopter 3d file how does it know when you print it what size to do ? Eg if I was to print a word doc I just set it to A4 paper and it prints it that size. What determines the size of the model you print ?

Associate
Maybe not but the ones I saw once you upgraded them with 3D self printed parts and a few other mods they didnt do such a bad job.
However thats more really of an excuse to buy one rather than just for the helicopter. :D

As for the UK ones yeah I know they require a file. For a complete noob and novice question if I had a helicopter 3d file how does it know when you print it what size to do ? Eg if I was to print a word doc I just set it to A4 paper and it prints it that size. What determines the size of the model you print ?

Yeah you can upgrade a cheap printer, but once you start spending money to do that, you might as well but a better printer to start with for example an ender 3 can be purchased for around £130 and performs very well out of the box.

As for the size of a model, the original size is set withing the modeling software but you have the .STL file you then put this is a slicer and within that software you can scale a model to whatever size you want. As well as choosing layer height, infill %, solid top/bottom layers etc.

Soldato
Yeah you can upgrade a cheap printer, but once you start spending money to do that, you might as well but a better printer to start with for example an ender 3 can be purchased for around £130 and performs very well out of the box.

As for the size of a model, the original size is set withing the modeling software but you have the .STL file you then put this is a slicer and within that software you can scale a model to whatever size you want. As well as choosing layer height, infill %, solid top/bottom layers etc.

Thanks for the info now wondering whether to get the Ender 3 V2 as found it for £240.

Man of Honour
So close to finishing this one :) just need some screws for the middle, worked out it is best to use brass and paint them as they are nice and soft and easy to just chop the right length. The middle also needs some more sanding and painting but it's almost there :D

Associate
What are my best options.... only really need to print TPU, and at a size no bigger the 150².
Ideally like something small to be bring out when needed.

Ender 3 looks a good cheap option, just the size of the machine putting me off when I only need small stuff.

Anyone know of anything to suit the above?.

Cheers

Associate
What are my best options.... only really need to print TPU, and at a size no bigger the 150².
Ideally like something small to be bring out when needed.

Ender 3 looks a good cheap option, just the size of the machine putting me off when I only need small stuff.

Anyone know of anything to suit the above?.

Cheers

That's a small capacity printer these days, larger (like a 235x235 bed) is far more common. Price doesn't exactly scale with capacity either so don't expect a small bed = cheap price (FlashForge offer an enclosed one with a 150x150 bed but it isn't cheap or a great performer either..). If TPU is your thing then make sure to get a direct drive extruder model, it will work better with flexible filaments (not to say a bowden won't print with them but the results with the softest materials will be better).

Associate
That's a small capacity printer these days, larger (like a 235x235 bed) is far more common. Price doesn't exactly scale with capacity either so don't expect a small bed = cheap price (FlashForge offer an enclosed one with a 150x150 bed but it isn't cheap or a great performer either..). If TPU is your thing then make sure to get a direct drive extruder model, it will work better with flexible filaments (not to say a bowden won't print with them but the results with the softest materials will be better).

I know what you're saying but after watching this vid, what he is producing on that is well impressive quality wise + its the same things I will be printing.

Don
Good little printer that by all accounts.
I still don't understand Creality's scatter-gun approach to launches.

In the 235x235 series we have:

CR-6
Ender 3
Ender 3 Pro
Ender 3 V2
Ender 5 - (OK, it's a different shape but is still a cartisian)
Ender 5 Pro

They are all priced within £100 of each other and all largely offer the same features.

Soldato
OP
Agreed but at least visually, the CR-6 looks to be in a different class to the Enders. Be interesting to know if it's just appearances.

@Rilot That CNC is clearly subtractive machining and therefore not at home in an additive forum ;) :p Looks good though. Hefty linear rail on the back there. Is it limited to Aluminium by the spindle or can it handle steel? I'd have guessed by the size of the rail that with the right spindle it could handle something tougher.

@Vince Sorry, missed out on notifications for a couple of pages worth. Mini Nuke is looking nice.

@ChrisLX200 Had my printer in bits again but have had a go at adjusting the wheels. Seems the inner wheels are adjustable and the outer not but I think the whole plate is on slots so loosening the screws adjusting and then tightening them seems to have allowed me to get a reasonable balance....I hope. Proof will be in the printing but spent all my time swearing at inanimate objects in an entirely sane fashion :D

OctoPi networking issue. I took everything (the control box, specifically) apart again.....and again....and again - hence the swearing - because I had issues with the Pi running OctoPrint. It stopped connecting to my wifi on at least half the boots if not more. Then found it wasn't pingable reliably but I could SSH into it and the web interface was working. All very odd and I put it down to wifi being as reliable as your average plumber (apologies to any plumbers reading, if you're offended you're clearly above average :D) and also that the Pi was shut inside a steel box.....which obviously is great for signal propagation! Ordered a panel-mount ethernet port and have shoe-horned that into the case too. This was going to fix the problem. Tested it, all fine. Put it together, nope. After much faffing about (Pi has to be unmounted to get an HDMI cable in), I found that sometimes when it boots dhcpcd reports "eth0: waiting for carrier" and then "Timed out". "Fixed" this by setting a static IP and testing it worked. Put it all back together and it decided it wasn't going to stay working. You can see why there was swearing, right? Anyway, it seems that sometimes it correctly initialises networking and sometimes it doesn't. If it does, it works fine. If it doesn't then restarting dhcpcd or downing the interface (ifconfig eth0 down) and bringing it up again make no difference. I don't know why it happens but I do have a badly-implemented workaround that perhaps some of you can improve and at worst it might spare someone the diagnostic phase if they have the same problem.

This is the thread I found: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=269898
My workaround is to add "ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on" to /etc/rc.local both before and after the octoprint stuff - just adding it before didn't seem to work 100% of the time - like I said, this is a badly-implemented workaround and almost certainly in the wrong place. The same could probably be done for wlan0 but perhaps a different command - any successful ethtool command seems to bring it to life. Incidently, I tried reflashing the SD card with a new copy of OctoPi and it did the same. I've also tried apt-get upgrades, full-upgrade and dist-upgrade as well as uninstalling and reinstalling dhcpcd5.

Back
Top Bottom