LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
I've not seen an analysis of why sony/pan oleds are not similarly impacted, & because they don't seem to be, underlying panel tech would seem to be OK (unless son/pan panels are binned), so,
the gfx hardware remains - & since they have been able to alleviate some of these problems before, with firmware fixes,
I wonder if lg do a lot more in s/w , so don't have as much dedicated (vector) hardware/mips as sony/pan, to implement the best in class algorithms the competitors do.

Some avs comments, that folks with Atv's running external prime/netflix apps, avoid the issue, would support that.

Associate
Yeah Plex is on HDMI but no luck with Atmos so far seems to just go to Dolby Audio or PCM.

Not sure if you sorted this out, but the movies are probably in Dolby True HD with non compressed Atmos - the Plex App won't pass this over eARC using the built in App into the TV.

The only way to get it would be say an NVIDIA Shield Pro and make a HDMI connection directly to the soundbar and play the film that way. Lossless Atmos would sound even better than the 'lossy' stuff you're hearing from the TV apps - it's compressed and carried via a Dolby Digital+ signal. The TrueHD version is uncompressed and a much higher bit rate.

Associate
Got it up on the wall Saturday, I am super impressed with the mounting bracket and the end finish.

From reading and viewing the horror images from other forums online I cannot begin to think what settings people tweak to get those results. Either that or some panels break very easily!

The out of the box settings are acceptable for running in and general family viewing. I actually didn't think I'd be as impressed with the upgrade from full HD plasma to this, but some of the space scenes in more recent Netflix content in ultra HD and Dolby Vision had stunning black and near black control.

Soldato
I've not seen an analysis of why sony/pan oleds are not similarly impacted, & because they don't seem to be, underlying panel tech would seem to be OK (unless son/pan panels are binned), so,
the gfx hardware remains - & since they have been able to alleviate some of these problems before, with firmware fixes,
I wonder if lg do a lot more in s/w , so don't have as much dedicated (vector) hardware/mips as sony/pan, to implement the best in class algorithms the competitors do.

Some avs comments, that folks with Atv's running external prime/netflix apps, avoid the issue, would support that.
Interesting angle, you are aware that LG manufactures the panels for Sony and Pana right? My assumption is that they are somewhat binned by virtue of being sold on. It'd be an extra step of quality control plus LG would probably be more stringent about not letting failures through to their direct customer.

Also Panasonic at least then engineer extra protection into their TVs such as heatsinks and possibly different drivers and panel firmware. Panasonic are very picky about this so might well be buying the panels which meet a higher standard than LG use directly.

Soldato
With my delivery tomorrow obviously the best thing to do is worry about things like this awful near black picture degradation from the CX thread over on the AVSForums
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2020-lg-oled-cx-gx-owners-thread-faq-posts-1-6-no-price-talk.3119288/post-60121550

I've read through the whole thread here and generally everyone is happy, which I'm sure I will also be. I'd like to think the people over at AVS are nit-picking, but the images from later in their thread are appalling!
Surprised at the issues with such an expensive item. Are these just early production issues or is this normal for modern OLED TV's? I'm thinking this will be my next upgrade as I can't see any competitors coming in the next come of years. Q-OLED sounds interesting but I'm expecting high prices.
Most people are just clueless or they don't care, and as LG sells more units, you have a lot more of the casual crowd talk about the good parts rather than nuanced takes on the TV's strengths/weaknesses. LG's **** near-black handling (and OLED in general really) has been known for years now. There's been some advancements but to a certain extent it's inherent to OLED.

Sony & Panasonic buyers are generally more demanding & discerning, so those 2 have put more effort into alleviating the issue, but it wasn't always perfect with them either, and isn't now, but it's managed much, much better.

0kDGAeE.jpg.png

Soldato
CX has just dropped to 2300 queenheads! On the cusp of ordering from JL!

e: and ordered;you get a pair of LG TONE Free HBS wireless headphones too! Bonus.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hoping the price stays this way for a few weeks as hoping to get one as soon as we get the keys to the house.

Will be getting it either way but would rather save the extra £300!

Soldato
I bit the bullet yesterday and collected the 55" from JL yesterday. 4k HDR content looks amazing on it. I think I need to do some work on the settings through my original 1080p Xbox as the colours and black crush are a little disappointing, but this would be resolved with the Xbox SX that I have on preorder.

Need to get a 3 pin socket behind my TV as it doesn't use a figure of 8 cable like my last one.

Associate
With my delivery tomorrow obviously the best thing to do is worry about things like this awful near black picture degradation from the CX thread over on the AVSForums
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2020-lg-oled-cx-gx-owners-thread-faq-posts-1-6-no-price-talk.3119288/post-60121550

I've read through the whole thread here and generally everyone is happy, which I'm sure I will also be. I'd like to think the people over at AVS are nit-picking, but the images from later in their thread are appalling!

Well reading that has made me mega paranoid about buying one of these now lol.

Soldato
Well pants; with my purchase of a cx incoming, I've just realised my existing Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar isn't going to cut it on the hdmi 20.a / HDCP 2.2 front! Anyone got any recommendations? I'm only ever going to plug a PS4/5 and run audio output from the TV.

e: ok so out of the game with this. Seems like you now plug everything into the TV and that outputs all connected devices to the soundbar.

eyeing up the Sonos Arc ..

Last edited:
Soldato
Well pants; with my purchase of a cx incoming, I've just realised my existing Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar isn't going to cut it on the hdmi 20.a / HDCP 2.2 front! Anyone got any recommendations? I'm only ever going to plug a PS4/5 and run audio output from the TV.

e: ok so out of the game with this. Seems like you now plug everything into the TV and that outputs all connected devices to the soundbar.

eyeing up the Sonos Arc ..

Just plug the PS4 directly into the soundbar.

You can connect everything to the TV with eARC but it isnt a requirment.

Soldato
Just plug the PS4 directly into the soundbar.

You can connect everything to the TV with eARC but it isnt a requirment.
This assumes the soundbar has more than 1 hdmi? The Sonos Beam and Arc do not. My existing soundbar (2500) doesn't support 4k or hdr it seems, so I need to upgrade. I'm just not sure what to or what is best with the cx; hence reaching out for recommendations / comment.

Soldato
Most people are just clueless or they don't care, and as LG sells more units, you have a lot more of the casual crowd talk about the good parts rather than nuanced takes on the TV's strengths/weaknesses. LG's **** near-black handling (and OLED in general really) has been known for years now. There's been some advancements but to a certain extent it's inherent to OLED.

Sony & Panasonic buyers are generally more demanding & discerning, so those 2 have put more effort into alleviating the issue, but it wasn't always perfect with them either, and isn't now, but it's managed much, much better.

0kDGAeE.jpg.png

I guess full ISF calibration will improve black handling? I do find shadow detail could be better on my c9, it's like the scene is lit by 40w bulbs

Soldato
This assumes the soundbar has more than 1 hdmi? The Sonos Beam and Arc do not. My existing soundbar (2500) doesn't support 4k or hdr it seems, so I need to upgrade. I'm just not sure what to or what is best with the cx; hence reaching out for recommendations / comment.
Interested to see what you do as was planning on getting the CX with the Beam but didn't think of this problem!

Back
Top Bottom