• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9700k to 9900k - worth it?

Soldato
Would I see any noticeable improvement or am I being stupid?

I don’t overclock my CPU’s at all and will be gaming at 1440p only.

Soldato
Not at all worth spending the money on.
You MAY be better off sticking that money towards a system refresh if you want more CPU performance. Zen 3 is looking good, but realistically your 9700K will bottleneck very few cards right now and sounds like you'd be better off saving for a new graphics card to get more performance from your games.

Soldato
OP
Thanks - I was thinking of a cheap upgrade that wouldn’t involve replacing the motherboard etc and saw the 9900k as the best chip for this.

I have a 2080 at the moment and will make the switch to the 3080 once all the madness settles down.

Soldato
Not at all worth it. Also your 9700K generally overclocks higher, with less heat and voltage than a 9900K, so would give you higher frame rates anyway.

If some reason you need more than 8 cores and can guarantee constantly maxing then out then best to go Ryzen.

Associate
FWIW i ran a 2080 along side my 9900k and in high fps games such as BF:V at 1440p i never really saw above 50% use from the cpu. running at 4.8 moderate overclock.

With everything at max settings including rtx and dlss i was getting around 100-130fps.

I moved up from a 9600k if i remember correctly.

Associate
For gaming, no. Not until 8 cores aren't enough and we're a while away from that. In all my group's testing, HT off on our 9900k's is better for gaming effectively turning it into a 9700k.

Back
Top Bottom