LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
You assume 'good demand' is us fellow gamers, buying lots of 48" gaming TVs.
Us gamers are just a drop in the ocean of people buying TVs.

I believe the cost of making these are still quite high and a 48" is most likely made from the same cut of glass the 55" are made from, so they are likely going to be of similar price for a long time.
Nope, they are cut from the same mother glass as the 77" so I expect there is a lot less 48" models being made than the 55 & 65 so can keep the price higher and they have zero competition in this area too.
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=34962

Soldato
How far from the wall/back of the desk is your actual screen? that still looks like it's quite far forwards compared to the back of the desk but i'm not sure if that's just the picture. If it's close to the distance the normal stand has it then i might be tempted to keep the stand instead. I was hoping to find a stand that let me have the screen further back on my desk.

I'd say the stand adds about 7cm from the back of the TV to the wall. Any less and I think you'd struggle to find a stand that can do it.

You have to bear in mind the depth at the top of the screen is quite thin, whereas the lower part is more bulky, hence the distance from the wall behind.

Associate
I'd say the stand adds about 7cm from the back of the TV to the wall. Any less and I think you'd struggle to find a stand that can do it.

You have to bear in mind the depth at the top of the screen is quite thin, whereas the lower part is more bulky, hence the distance from the wall behind.

think bloke with a beer belly sitting down for a quick visualisation

Associate
Nope, they are cut from the same mother glass as the 77" so I expect there is a lot less 48" models being made than the 55 & 65 so can keep the price higher and they have zero competition in this area too.
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=34962

This is excellent news! As long as the quality of these panels remain the same, we could be looking at much cheaper 77"+ panels next year! (well, getting cheaper more quickly anyway)

think bloke with a beer belly sitting down for a quick visualisation

:p:p

Soldato

I have a c9 downstairs so i'm aware the lower portion is about 4cm or so, so all together that would be about 11cm but is far better than the 20 odd on the normal stand. Sounds like a winner though i am also considering a floor standing version so it looks more like a monitor arm up the back of the desk :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've done a little bit of testing with my 3080.

The Gsync bug is confirmed; screen flicker when set above 60fps (hopefully get a patch soon). For me personally, this isn't an issue as I'm only using this screen for 3rd person couch gaming so 4k 60 is fine. I'm getting full 10bit 4:4:4 HDR and the GPU really compliments the screen as it can maintain 60fps easily.

I'm really glad I didn't go for a 3090 as I just don't see what significant difference that would have made for the extra financial outlay. I'd say that right now, the 3080 is the perfect card for this screen.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
If anyone is not yet without any CX LG screen, they got the 55inch CX on offer for £1349 (with £50 voucher) today on Curries flebay store.

Really does feel like that CX48 should be £1200 retail price !

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I could never get one of these, it would be too big to use on my desk which I’m about an arms length away from the screen. Trying to play FPS PC games sitting on the sofa several feet from the screen isn’t ideal either as you need a surface to operate your keyboard and mouse and using wireless kb/mouse devices introduce input lag.

So for me it’s a smallish monitor for PC gaming and one of these TVs for PS5 use where I’m sitting several feet away from the screen using the PS5 controller.

Wall mount the screen and pull desk backwards ? The sweet spot feels 1 or 1.2 metre away I feel, but will experiment bit more I know a few others and myself have 80cm desk but even I feel it needs to be 100cm or bit more.

I am about 2 arms length but yeah 1 arm length would be blinding.

Soldato
I've done a little bit of testing with my 3080.

The Gsync bug is confirmed; screen flicker when set above 60fps (hopefully get a patch soon). For me personally, this isn't an issue as I'm only using this screen for 3rd person couch gaming so 4k 60 is fine. I'm getting full 10bit 4:4:4 HDR and the GPU really compliments the screen as it can maintain 60fps easily.

I'm really glad I didn't go for a 3090 as I just don't see what significant difference that would have made for the extra financial outlay. I'd say that right now, the 3080 is the perfect card for this screen.
It's already out. https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/j23xf4/cx_firmware_update_out_tested_and_fixes_chroma/

Edit: Doesn't work for EU models, sorry. :(
Can't be too far away for us.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's already out. https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/j23xf4/cx_firmware_update_out_tested_and_fixes_chroma/

Edit: Doesn't work for EU models, sorry. :(
Can't be too far away for us.

Still no firmware update for me either, hoping it gets released before my Asus Strix 3090 OC arrives (hopefully no longer than a month).

Will be a strange few months - Big Navi coming soon, 3080 20GB's probably no long after, judging from the Gigabyte SKU roadmap. I can still cancel my pre-order if AMD release a winner, with 16GB and between 3080-3090 performance with less TDP, I doubt it though.

Associate
If anyone is not yet without any CX LG screen, they got the 55inch CX on offer for £1349 (with £50 voucher) today on Curries flebay store.

Really does feel like that CX48 should be £1200 retail price !
I have seen the CX 55" online for £1399.00 today 3/10/20 the CX 48" is £1489.00 if you can get it cheaper go for it and get the CX55 and save £89.00

Last edited:
Associate
I hope the OP don't mined me posting my LG CX 55" on this thread! I think the 55" is much better then a 48" but than again I like the bigger screen size when gaming on. Also match my TT900 in size.

Bigger is more beautiful then small.

50412449432_2babd60ea5_o.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
guys question planing to get this one shipped, and i was searching for a hdmi cable should i get the hdmi 2.1 thats says fiber optic? sorry not really familiar with the hdmi 2.1 cables

Soldato
guys question planing to get this one shipped, and i was searching for a hdmi cable should i get the hdmi 2.1 thats says fiber optic? sorry not really familiar with the hdmi 2.1 cables

Pointless really unless you want one for very long distances like 10 or 15 metres.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I hope the OP don't mined me posting my LG CX 55" on this thread! I think the 55" is much better then a 48" but than again I like the bigger screen size when gaming on. Also match my TT900 in size.

Bigger is more beautiful then small.

50412449432_2babd60ea5_o.jpg

That looks awesome, I think the 55cx @ its current special offer price no question its awesome and the better buy especially if you can manage the space factor.

Did you extend your desk with another piece of board and use clamps to hold it in place ?

Bit tricky to see in the dark room, but I was thinking of doing similar but reverse pull desk backwards and add a bit of board behind it and wall mount the monitor onto wall to get around it, creating that distance between you and this beast (even 48") really brings it out.

Associate
That looks awesome, I think the 55cx @ its current special offer price no question its awesome and the better buy especially if you can manage the space factor.

Did you extend your desk with another piece of board and use clamps to hold it in place ?

Bit tricky to see in the dark room, but I was thinking of doing similar but reverse pull desk backwards and add a bit of board behind it and wall mount the monitor onto wall to get around it, creating that distance between you and this beast (even 48") really brings it out.

OLED works best in a dark or low light rooms, not in bright lit rooms.

I used a 'Sanus VTVS1 stand' because it's all made of metal and not glass base like some, so I could put my 4KUHD player under the TV like in the image I also used a 'Soges adjustable lap table' but the table top was not long enough so had to use a 56x40cm half inch plywood board and screw it on the metal stand so I can move it, to put my keyboard and mouse plus microphone on and I didn't want to sit too close to an OLED in HDR when playing games, it would burn my eyes out

At first I was going to buy the CX48 but after seen the CX55 and the price differences so I got the 55 but if you have a small room then best to get a 48.

You will find all on Amazon hope it help you;)

The TV stand
Sanus VTVS1 Universal Swivel TV Stand for 32-60-Inch Screens - Black

The table
soges Adjustable Lap Table with Slot Mobile Laptop Computer Stand Bedside Table Portable Side Table for Bed Sofa,

HDMI cables
3M HDMI 2.1 Cable 48Gbps by True HQ | 8K Ultra High Speed PREMIUM Lead with Ethernet | 8K 60Hz 4K 120Hz UHD HDCP 2.2 eARC | Dolby Vision Dynamic HDR PS5 Xbox Series X | Zinc Alloy & Gold

Extend cables
AmazonBasics USB 3.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (3 m )

Last edited:
Associate

The HDMI 2.1 is only for the 3080 cards not for 2080 or lower but HDMI 2.1 cables are backward compatible

Associate
Anyone else get oled brightness lowering, if you open your browser and have a white screen to scroll through?
The brightness dips down and stays down for quite some time, scrolling on it changes the brightness sometimes.
Very odd, can't find a settings to adjust that particular one.

Back
Top Bottom