New m.2 drives on pcie4.0

Soldato
So, with the new m.2 drive like the https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...-state-drive-gp-asm2ne6100tttd-hd-009-gi.html
Seems to truly get those blistering speeds you'd need a X570 (amd) board.
But, if you stick with intel, what speeds could you expect to get?
I'm looking to rebuild my gaming rig, as my 8700k went kaput!
I'm wondering whether to go AMD this time round or to stick with Intel.

Your thoughts please folks.

Man of Honour
PCIe 3.0 x4 m2 is capable of reaching read speeds of up to 3,500 MB/s and write speeds of up to 2,700 MB/s . Pcie4 doubles that but normal use there's minimal difference over 3.

M2 pcie4 speeds can be useful when data need a to move fast from one drive to another.

Nvidia ampere you Wiill have a feature rtx io which will have direct acess to data on the drive . This has to be supported by the game but uber are no benchmarks for pcie4 v 4

AMD zen 3 is due for release mid October I would see what that brings if you can wait.

Soldato
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

Funny just think about now, think about tomorrow. I've heard it said many times, " you don't need that" only to see, 12 months later, the same people jumping on the very same tech. I'm aiming to max out my X570 board and then be set for years to come.

Associate
PCIe 3.0 x4 m2 is capable of reaching read speeds of up to 3,500 MB/s and write speeds of up to 2,700 MB/s . Pcie4 doubles that but normal use there's minimal difference over 3.

M2 pcie4 speeds can be useful when data need a to move fast from one drive to another.

Nvidia ampere you Wiill have a feature rtx io which will have direct acess to data on the drive . This has to be supported by the game but uber are no benchmarks for pcie4 v 4

AMD zen 3 is due for release mid October I would see what that brings if you can wait.

So if building from new would the sensible thing be to get some uber fast PCIe 4 M.2 (for the OS and storage latency sensitive apps) but not go all out on it i.e. a 500GB-1TB capacity. Then pair that with a cheaper but larger PCIe 3 M.2 say 2TB with any outlier use cases going for SATA storage for the real big stuff?

I guess where I'm going is pay a lot for 1 large PCIe 4 vs split it out and get more storage but at different performance tiers

Man of Honour
So if building from new would the sensible thing be to get some uber fast PCIe 4 M.2 (for the OS and storage latency sensitive apps) but not go all out on it i.e. a 500GB-1TB capacity. Then pair that with a cheaper but larger PCIe 3 M.2 say 2TB with any outlier use cases going for SATA storage for the real big stuff?

I guess where I'm going is pay a lot for 1 large PCIe 4 vs split it out and get more storage but at different performance tiers
If you can afford an m2 pcie4 then that's your choice but value for money is a diffrent thing.

As said above where the advantages lie.

You can always partition a drive.

There are some great pcie3 nvme drives with top performance

Take a look at the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro M.2

Soldato
also undecided here either go with PCIE 4 or PCIE 3 nvme planning on upgrading to zen 3 and x570 board which uses gen 4 , for example you can buy 1tb pcie 3 nvme for £90-100 3400mb read and 3000mb write or even 2tb around £170 I know for general use wont see difference but was more thinking about this direct access feature to be added soon and if we would see differences

Associate
I decided to split it for my new PC build, as I think this gives you the best price/perf compromise plus simultaneous read/write on two channels

1TB 980 Pro (just for raw performance on the OS, pagefile and Nvidia IO)
2TB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro (TLC nand) PCIe 3.0

they both cost £210 each which in total is still less than the predicted price of 2TB 980 Pro due in Dec.

Soldato
Given that the majority of tasks most people do are not limited by sequential IO (as evidenced by the minimal real world gain between AHCI SSD’s and PCIe NVMe) and QD4 tests have been shown to favour a 2TB 970 Evo+ over the 1TB 980 Pro, I certainly wouldn’t pay a premium. Nvidia io and Microsoft’s direct storage developer tools are potentially still months away, so at best it might get better in 1-2 years, but right now unless PCIe4 storage is cheaper than PCIe3 or you have a non typical usage scenario, it’s just big numbers for marketing due to the way diminishing returns work.

Associate
Given that the majority of tasks most people do are not limited by sequential IO (as evidenced by the minimal real world gain between AHCI SSD’s and PCIe NVMe) and QD4 tests have been shown to favour a 2TB 970 Evo+ over the 1TB 980 Pro, I certainly wouldn’t pay a premium. Nvidia io and Microsoft’s direct storage developer tools are potentially still months away, so at best it might get better in 1-2 years, but right now unless PCIe4 storage is cheaper than PCIe3 or you have a non typical usage scenario, it’s just big numbers for marketing due to the way diminishing returns work.

I tend to agree hence only going for the 1TB 980 Pro, worst case scenario I get ripped off £70 which is a loss I’m prepared to accept

Associate
Ever since gen 4 nvme came out, I never felt the tech was ready yet as the Phison controller wasn't using the full potential of gen 4. Now with the 980 pro out, and it being only around £50 more than gen 3 at 1tb and identically priced to slower gen 4 drives, I can now comfortably buy a gen 4 drive and not feel like I'm an early adopter. I've been waiting almost a year for the Samsung drives to come out. Although I am slightly disappointed that they chose to go with TLC instead of MLC as they historically have done for the pro line, meaning it's got half the TBW.

To me, if there was ever a right-ish time to go gen 4, it's right now with the release of the new AMD CPUs and the 980 pro from Samsung. I personally don't even know if I'll ever feel a life changing difference between gen 3 and 4, but with this new tech from Nvidia coming it certainly gives me more of a push to pull the trigger on gen 4 drives.

Soldato
So you’re not an early adopter, but you’re buying a new product that’s been shown not to be any faster than previous generation in anything vaguely relevant to the majority of usage scenarios in play, on the basis that in a year or two, it might be different? Glad it makes sense for you, enjoy the new drive :D

Associate
Im planning to upgrade to the Zen3 and get gen 4 ssd trying to hold out for the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus

Any idea on release of these? I haven't managed to find any info. I was considering a 2TB version of this as a single drive but reading this, I'm actually wondering if there's actually any real world benefit other than ease.

I'm planning on an X570 (or X670 if it exists) build, so will have space.

Soldato
Any idea on release of these? I haven't managed to find any info. I was considering a 2TB version of this as a single drive but reading this, I'm actually wondering if there's actually any real world benefit other than ease.

I'm planning on an X570 (or X670 if it exists) build, so will have space.

Hi, cant seem to find any info about release date, Im planning on upgrading to zen3 with x570 board and ideally want to also buy an Gen 4 ssd dont know if will see any difference also I can get the Sabrent 1TB Rocket Gen 4 for £123.50, maybe will start seeing difference when direct storage is implemented

Associate
WD Gen 4 has been reported to be released now.
Looks nice.

The market for Gen 4 m.2 is slowly picking up pace.

I don't fancy the Samsung drive, cos of using TLC like mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom