Windows version 2004 - High system Latency - Driving me nuts

Associate
Hi All.

Have an issue that's driving me nuts and hoping someone may have similar issues or a different perspective that can help out my issues.

First off PC spces

I7 6700K
16gn 2400mhz RAM
Gigbyte Gaming 7 mobo

All drivers are up to date as of today

So this all seems to have started happening around the time the 2004 update was released. I noticed when playing videos in chrome or Edge out of nowhere videos would start lagging and audio would glitch when I opened other windows or opening apps on the PC.. closing the browser and restarting it would sort the issue so thought nothing of it.

Fast forward 3 weeks and its starting to get worse... I started looking into system latency and downloaded a programme called Latency Mon and ran it, too my surprise my system was lagging like hell and i was getting a message about system not being able to handle real time audio. This seem to be an issue that has plagued multiple people over the years and now it seem to have bitten me.

I understand this is to do with driver files and system execution so monitored what the system was doing and noticed the top 3 offenders where the following:

nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 456.55
dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel
Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime

In general they can spike anywhere from 5 - 50ms execution times (I understand ideally they should be under 1)

I did a lot of reading on the issues that people have experienced and read a lot of advice on fixes and so far have tried the following

• Tried three sets of Nvidia drivers
  • Changed power plan from balanced to performance to make sure its not an issue with CPU idle speeds
  • Updated all system drivers to current stable release
  • Updated Motherboard bios
  • reset any overlocks on the system (Although these were minor)
None of this seemed to have made much of a difference.

So last night I bit the bullet and did a clean install of windows and simply installed Chipset drivers, GFX drivers, audio drivers and a browser but the problem still persists... again opened up Edge and played a video and then tried opening various other apps, windows etc and the stutter was still there, to be clear it doesn't happen every time but happens often enough to be a pain. strangely enough I seem to be able to game just fine as I tested COD MW for 30mins this morning and found no issue (Although to be fair gaming has never been an issue)

So now im banging my head against a wall as to what to do as this system has been running problem free for best part of 4 years.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to do next from anyone that has experienced similar?

Last resort is to by a new PC (probably needed but may wait till zen3 comes out)

Associate
OP
ok so last night I managed to find a windows image for 1903 reinstalled that and then installed the bare minimum and its still doing it.

Am now starting to think this maybe now a sign of my graphics card possibly going??

Soldato
What are you installing Windows on too? is it an SSD? if so how old is it? make\model etc

Could always try another sata cable\port.

If you have a onboard gpu you could remove the dedicated card and try the on board one instead.

Associate
OP
What are you installing Windows on too? is it an SSD? if so how old is it? make\model etc

Could always try another sata cable\port.

If you have a onboard gpu you could remove the dedicated card and try the on board one instead.

I have 2 SSD and 2 NVME

i have swapped the install on windows to 3 different drives now and still its doing it. always directX, Nvidia and one of the main framework drivers that cause the issue.

tried reseating both ram and gou in sockets and no difference.

Soldato
I have 2 SSD and 2 NVME

i have swapped the install on windows to 3 different drives now and still its doing it. always directX, Nvidia and one of the main framework drivers that cause the issue.

tried reseating both ram and gou in sockets and no difference.
How far back did you go when testing earlier versions of the drivers?

What gpu do you have?

I have a 2070S which I can post any details of if you want me to check anything.

I am running W10 Pro version 1909 build 18363.900 installed on the 21/52020 (When I got my new NVME SSD)

Associate
OP
Pc has been running fine for years

I have tried windows 1903, 1909, 2004
I have also tried the last three versions of Nvidia drivers

The situation seems has gotten worse over time. At first it was maybe once a week it would do it now its every hour... just played COD smooth as butter for 15-20mins then all of a sudden its a jittery mess yet my FPS is still over a hundred and GPU and CPU times are around 10ms... its defiantly something in the system that's is causing the issue and makes everything else crap out.

Its so random that I was watching a YouTube video around an hour ago with no issues and all I did to set it off was click my start button and then the system just started lagging like hell..

Soldato
Is there anything in event viewer for warnings or critical?

I doubt there will be but worth a check, Could you do a factory reset in the bios?

is it possible to try another PCI slot for the gpu?

Associate
OP
Is there anything in event viewer for warnings or critical?

I doubt there will be but worth a check, Could you do a factory reset in the bios?

is it possible to try another PCI slot for the gpu?

Nothing in event viewer
Tried factory reset in the bios and tried running memory at 2133 (Rather than 2400)
GPU is in a custom water cooling loop so cant use another slot

The fact i have tried 3 versions of windows and its been getting worse over the period of a month is making me think something is failing slowly.

Soldato
Nothing in event viewer
Tried factory reset in the bios and tried running memory at 2133 (Rather than 2400)
GPU is in a custom water cooling loop so cant use another slot

The fact i have tried 3 versions of windows and its been getting worse over the period of a month is making me think something is failing slowly.
Yeah, does seem like something is struggling to keep up.

Have you done any CPU tests? saw this which maybe able to help.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

Soldato
It's a bit of a pain, but install your drivers one by one and test before and after each installation to try and identify which, if any, of the drivers could be giving you problems.

My own suspicion lies with audio drivers. Which sound card do you use, is it onboard and which drivers are you installing?

Associate
OP
It's a bit of a pain, but install your drivers one by one and test before and after each installation to try and identify which, if any, of the drivers could be giving you problems.

My own suspicion lies with audio drivers. Which sound card do you use, is it onboard and which drivers are you installing?

I have a GOXLR mixer. I thought that might be the case so installed windows with just graphics drivers and it still does it.

I need a new PC anyways so I am just going to leave with this for a month or so until the new stuff comes out.

Associate
OP
Yeah, does seem like something is struggling to keep up.

Have you done any CPU tests? saw this which maybe able to help.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

Tried that, CPU passed all test with flying colors.

That's what's leading me to the GPU its weird when it happens its like V-sync turns off and the screen is running at 10-20 fps then about a minute later it will return to normal.

I do remember about 6 weeks ago i noticed a small amount of cooling fluid had leaked from the joint of the GPU water block (The cat did it don't ask) an although not leaking now a bit did run down the back of the backplate and maybe onto the PCB. wondered if maybe that has shorted something or some of the chips got wet.

Soldato
I have a GOXLR mixer. I thought that might be the case so installed windows with just graphics drivers and it still does it.

I need a new PC anyways so I am just going to leave with this for a month or so until the new stuff comes out.
Just searched your posts and see that you have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard which uses Creative SoundCore onboard sound. Funnily enough I had issues with my Creative sound card, giving me weird latency problems too.

The only drivers I see are from 2017 on Gigabyte's, which is about a year before 1803 was released, giving many Creative users latency problems with old drivers.

Hopefully your new upgrade will likely have audio drivers without latency issues.

Associate
OP
Just searched your posts and see that you have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard which uses Creative SoundCore onboard sound. Funnily enough I had issues with my Creative sound card, giving me weird latency problems too.

The only drivers I see are from 2017 on Gigabyte's, which is about a year before 1803 was released, giving many Creative users latency problems with old drivers.

Hopefully your new upgrade will likely have audio drivers without latency issues.

I have had that disabled in the bios since day 1 funnily enough over the last 3 hours my PC has been fine its just so random.

Back
Top Bottom