Aqua Computer Aquaero Owners thread

Associate
its the amd sensor iv been using, they give gpu/mem/hot spot temps, all show close to the same for my idle numbers above, the backplate temp was taken using a temp gun

Associate
I'm running the 2018 software and have just noticed they are doing the X software now. Should I upgrade it? What's changed?

Soldato
There are a bunch of changes but whether they're something you're going to be excited about depends on what you're running. You get a license free with each new module so if you've bought anything that requires the newer features there's a pretty good chance you're licensed for it. The change log is here
Major things are support for the Quadro and Octo fan/RGB controllers and Farbwerk nano. I'm not sure that the 2018 version had the web service and integrated hardware monitor either. You now no longer need to run a separate hardware monitor software to feed data to Aquasuite, that's now built in and updated versions bring support for newer platforms. The web service will let you publish data to things like forum signatures - should that be of interest - and also let you access data remotely. For example, I have an Aquaero in my PC, my wife's PC and my server cupboard. I can see the important stats (res fill, temps etc) on my Aquasuite dashboard from the other two computers and keep an eye on them. This is perhaps a fairly niche use-case though.

Associate
There are a bunch of changes but whether they're something you're going to be excited about depends on what you're running. You get a license free with each new module so if you've bought anything that requires the newer features there's a pretty good chance you're licensed for it. The change log is here
Major things are support for the Quadro and Octo fan/RGB controllers and Farbwerk nano. I'm not sure that the 2018 version had the web service and integrated hardware monitor either. You now no longer need to run a separate hardware monitor software to feed data to Aquasuite, that's now built in and updated versions bring support for newer platforms. The web service will let you publish data to things like forum signatures - should that be of interest - and also let you access data remotely. For example, I have an Aquaero in my PC, my wife's PC and my server cupboard. I can see the important stats (res fill, temps etc) on my Aquasuite dashboard from the other two computers and keep an eye on them. This is perhaps a fairly niche use-case though.

Cheers for the decent reply mate. My version has the web service and hardware monitor and the other rgb controllers are of no use to me as i have a corsair system installed that provides the lighting etc. My Aquaero 6XT controls all the fans etc so don't think I need the octo.

Associate
Could anyone point me at a noobs guide to figuring out which aquacomputer components are needed to put together a solution of compatible parts? They've clearly got a great reputation for their kit but I think that they've a way to go in terms of helping new customers understand what they actually need to achieve their desired objectives.

If it helps this is what I'm looking to acheive: I'm contemplating building a dual-loop system.
Each loop shall comprise of one water block; one d5 pump and res; and one large radiator with up to 8 fans per rad (assuming 480 in push-pull).
In addition I would have a number (four-ish) of case fans.

So, in total, I think that adds up to the following PWM components:
2 x d5 pumps
16 x rad fans
4 x case fans

Or, perhaps more relevantly in the context of the question(s), five "control groups":
1. CPU d5
2. CPU rad fans
3. GPU d5
4. GPU rad fans
5. Case fans

I'd like to be able to monitor the flow rate and temp of each loop and set curves for the pump and fans of that loop according to the tempurature reported.
I'd like to be able to monitor the air temp inside the case and set curves for the case fans according to the temperature reported.

Amongst other things what I'm struggling to understand is:
  1. if a single Aquaero 6 LT is capable of doing all of that both with respect to the number of sensors to monitor and the number of PWM components to control - or if I need an expansion card - or if two Aquareo 6 LTs would be better (and if they play nicely together)?
  2. which flow sensors are compatible with the AQ6LT and whether or not they all include temperature sensing, and if they do include a temp sensor does that take a sensor socket on the AQ6LT or is it combined with the flow meter socket?
  3. whether or not all necessary cables are included with the various bits of kit and if not what needs to be purchased separately?
BTW and independent of the specific quaestions about this system I'm also wondering whether there's any merit in monitoring temperature at other points in the loop besides the flow sensor (likely to be close to the pump outlet), e.g. monitoring at both the inlet and outlet of the rad so as to understand how much temp can be dumped by the rad.

Any pointers/help appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a number of ways you can combine their components to make that work. Ideally (in my head) you want as much as possible connected together using Aquabus since it can then be read and controlled by the Aquaero independent of Windows even running. You may want to plan USB connections as well since those are required for any firmware updates.
I'd start with an Aquaero 6 - whether you want LT, Pro or XT depends on if you want no screen, screen or touch-screen. You get four channels on that and each would be able to handle a D5 as a PWM device.

If the fans you want to run are PWM, you can run them off an Octo. That can connect back to the Aquaero using a mini Aquabus cable. That cable doesn't seem to be included and doesn't appear to be stocked by OCUK but the Aqwua Computer part number is 53214. A second Octo would let you run the fans for the second rad - again, providing they are PWM; the Octo and the Quadro are PWM only and won't do voltage control. The Aquaero 6 will do either.

Another option is that you can bank the fans up and run them off a Splitty9. This would mean all running at the same speed (assuming they are the same type of fan) and only the rpm of one of them being reported.
If you're going to be using 8 fans on a splitter, you may want to look at the Splitty9 Active - Aqua Computer part 53283.

If you've used (with Splittys) the channels on the Aquaero and need extra control groups, you can add a PowerAdjust standard (the pro adds fan curves to it based on temp but if you connect to the Aquaero using Aquabus, the Aquaero controls it)

You can run a High-Flow sensor off the Aquaero but you need a specific cable that isn't included. It may look like a standard 3-pin fan cable but it's bigger. OCUK no longer stock this but it is Aqua Computer part number 53027. You can also run one off a Quadro/Octo with a 53212 cable.
There is also a High Flow USB sensor that can connect using Aquabus. It's worth noting that Aquabus cables are just 3-pin fan to 3-pin fan cables and come included. However, if you connect it with a 4-pin Aquabus cable (Not included but same as a 4-pin fan to 4-pin cable or Aqua Computer part 53122) it will also carry power so you won't need to plug in the USB if you don't wish to.

There also seem to be some High Flow 2 sensors out now that seem to have the required cables included.

If you've got multiple Aquabus connections to the Aquaero, you can either make your own 3 or 4-pin fan cables in Y or daisy-chain format to connect them up or use a Splitty9 in Aquabus mode.

The Aquaero has a limit of 4 curve controllers but if you're using Octo's, Quadro's or PowerAdjust's (the pro version might be necessary there but at worst it's a license key upgrade), I believe they have additional curve controllers.

It's also possible to have two Aquaeros with the second one in slave mode to the first in order to get more channels and controllers - or even separately if you want one per loop. Or you could not have the Aquaero and just use Octo's. There's a lot of different ways to do this but hopefully this should give you an idea of where to start.

Associate
Okay, so with thanks to @Cenedd I now think I know what I want to do - the aim of this post is to set that out for a sanity check.

BTW I should say that I realise that the approach I'm proposing isn't the most cost effective, instead I've taken an approach that has a logical separation to it.

In summary I will go with an Aquaero 6 LT with two Quadros attached, one Quadro for each loop.

In a little more detail...

The central component of the system shall be an Aquaero 6 LT with the following connections:
  1. Molex for power
  2. Internal USB connected to Mobo with cable supplied with the Aquaero
  3. RPM connected to Mobo CPU fan header with supplied cable (which device I'll pass through via this connection is TBD)
  4. PWM connected Case Fans
  5. Supplied (Air) Temp Sensors connected via sensor header to report ambient temp inside/outside case
  6. Two Quadros connected via Aquabus cables (to be purchased separately, part number 53214)
Each Quadro shall then have the same setup, as follows:
  1. Aquabus connection back to the Aquaero (see 6 above).
  2. Molex for power
  3. High Flow Sensor (non-USB variant) connected via Aquabus cable (to be purchased separately, part number 53212)
  4. Aqua Computer PWM pump (with res) connected using PWM connection
  5. Radiator fans (ganged together TBD) connected using PWM connections
  6. (Loop) Temp Sensors connected via sensor header to report temp of liquid in the loop (number of sensors TBD)
Making my Aqua Computer shopping list look something like this:
  • 1 x Aquaero 6 LT
  • 2 x Quadro
  • 2 x Aquabus Cable Pt No 53214 (Aquaero - Quadro)
  • 2 x High Flow Meter
  • 2 x Aquabus Cable Pt No 53212 (High Flow Meter - Quadro)
  • 2 x Aqua Computer PWM D5 with Res
  • TBD x Loop Temp Sensors
In my eyes, assuming this is viable, the advantage of this approach is that there's a clear logical separation in the scope of each control device - I think that this will make initial setup and future maintenance/debug simpler.

Does this make sense / any gotchas that I'm missing?

Soldato
Couple of things.
1. I'm not sure if you need the Aquaero in that setup. I'm not sure you don't either but it might be worth checking out for the possible cost saving. You're not using it for the screen (being an LT), you don't appear to be using any of the other ports either. The question is whether you can connect two Quadros together by Aquabus and achieve the same thing. I don't know the answer to that as I don't have any Quadros or Octos I'm afraid.

2. There's unlikely to be any point in more than two loop temp sensors. In my experience you'll find that the loop pretty much equalises temp after a while. Certainly any deviation round the loop (once settled) is going to be within the error margin of these types of sensors - none of them tend to exactly agree and not just Aqua Computer's either. You may also get some internal sensors on some parts. The USB version of the high flow pump for example has a temp sensor internally as well as a header for an external temp sensor. Their res was similar but for some reason a firmware update took out the internal temp sensor.

3. You'll want to connect the Aquabus devices by USB (not Aquabus) initially, just to set a bus ID on them. They need a unique bus ID to work and will most likely be set the same out the box if they are the same component. I think you also want to set Aquabus as priority in case you also leave USB connected for firmware updates.

4. For the number of fans on each rad you originally said, a Quadro isn't enough channels. That's fine if you're going to gang them up using a Splitty or Y cable - you're unlikely to want them running at different speeds on the same rad anyway. Just make sure that if you're using Y cables that the rpm (tacho) line only goes to one fan or it'll misreport.

5. The purpose of sending an RPM signal to a motherboard header is solely so that you can send no signal in the event of a critical condition. If the mothboard has the settings for it, you can set it to shut down in if the "fan" fails so it's a way of causing a shutdown if, for example, the temp hits a level or a res is empty. You can also do this using the relay header of the Aquaero either to long press the power button (by splicing into that) or by disconnecting the ATX power-on line. They do a plug for the relay port and there is also an ATX splice kit available (male to female short ATX extension with the power-on line broken out to relay). You can, of course, do these yourself if your comfortable with such wiring and pin crimping (or just splice the existing ATX line). You may want to but the relay connector plug that has screw terminals though. Don't remember it being expensive either.

Associate
hey guys, i'm looking for a controller for my mini itx watercooled build, will have 4 fans + 1 pump, I used the LT 6 in the past but is too big, the quadro seems fine, although I'm not a fan that they put the sockets on top and not on the side, this takes a lot of space for an itx build, but I think it might be still better than the corsair commander pro, opinions?

Soldato
@Mark011 Comes down to if it will fit and you want to use PWM fans - it won't do voltage controlled (3-pin) fans. You'd need to double up one fan so you have a channel for the pump - again assuming the pump will take PWM control.
I've not got a Quadro or Octo so can't give you any experiences of them but if they're anything like the Aquaero they'll be good - all their other stuff has been and any (minor) problems I've had they've just posted me new parts.

Associate
Thanks again @Cenedd

1. I'm not sure if you need the Aquaero in that setup. I'm not sure you don't either but it might be worth checking out for the possible cost saving. You're not using it for the screen (being an LT), you don't appear to be using any of the other ports either. The question is whether you can connect two Quadros together by Aquabus and achieve the same thing. I don't know the answer to that as I don't have any Quadros or Octos I'm afraid.
Yep, I realise that the proposed setup probably isn't optimal cost wise but I like the logical separation it offers with the Aquaero being the hub, handling comms with the MoBo (USB and RPM signal), monitoring air temps and controlling case fans; whilst the Quadro's are each dedicated to a single loop.

2. There's unlikely to be any point in more than two loop temp sensors. In my experience you'll find that the loop pretty much equalises temp after a while. Certainly any deviation round the loop (once settled) is going to be within the error margin of these types of sensors - none of them tend to exactly agree and not just Aqua Computer's either. You may also get some internal sensors on some parts. The USB version of the high flow pump for example has a temp sensor internally as well as a header for an external temp sensor. Their res was similar but for some reason a firmware update took out the internal temp sensor.
I did wonder about this, but in the grand scheme of things the cost of two sensors in a loop versus one in a loop is a marginal difference so I'm inclined to throw a couple in just for the geekery of it.

3. You'll want to connect the Aquabus devices by USB (not Aquabus) initially, just to set a bus ID on them. They need a unique bus ID to work and will most likely be set the same out the box if they are the same component. I think you also want to set Aquabus as priority in case you also leave USB connected for firmware updates.
I hadn't appreciated that I'd need to do that - thank you, that feels like it will save me some head scratching further down this road!

4. For the number of fans on each rad you originally said, a Quadro isn't enough channels. That's fine if you're going to gang them up using a Splitty or Y cable - you're unlikely to want them running at different speeds on the same rad anyway. Just make sure that if you're using Y cables that the rpm (tacho) line only goes to one fan or it'll misreport.
Yep, as you say there's no particular reason to have different fans on the same rad running at different speeds so ganging them is the way that I would go.
BTW I've now got the case that I want to use for this build (it's a Lian Li V3000) and having made a few measurements I'm now reconsidering whether push-pull is the way to go - my current thinking is that I probably won't so four fans per rad is now more likely.

5. The purpose of sending an RPM signal to a motherboard header is solely so that you can send no signal in the event of a critical condition. If the mothboard has the settings for it, you can set it to shut down in if the "fan" fails so it's a way of causing a shutdown if, for example, the temp hits a level or a res is empty. You can also do this using the relay header of the Aquaero either to long press the power button (by splicing into that) or by disconnecting the ATX power-on line. They do a plug for the relay port and there is also an ATX splice kit available (male to female short ATX extension with the power-on line broken out to relay). You can, of course, do these yourself if your comfortable with such wiring and pin crimping (or just splice the existing ATX line). You may want to but the relay connector plug that has screw terminals though. Don't remember it being expensive either.
Yep, so far I've only built with Asus MoBo's and all that I've used have had a BIOS setting to shut down in the event of no signal on the CPU fan header and it's this functionality that I want to make use of via the RPM connection. I might assume that this is a common feature for pretty much any MoBo that I might select, but I think that it's quite likely I'll go with Asus again (simply because I'm quite familiar with and like their BIOS) so I think that my assumnption that this functionality will be available should be safe.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
Yep, so far I've only built with Asus MoBo's and all that I've used have had a BIOS setting to shut down in the event of no signal on the CPU fan header and it's this functionality that I want to make use of via the RPM connection. I might assume that this is a common feature for pretty much any MoBo that I might select, but I think that it's quite likely I'll go with Asus again (simply because I'm quite familiar with and like their BIOS) so I think that my assumption that this functionality will be available should be safe.

Definitely not all motherboards offer this. I think I've mainly been Gigabyte for the last few and if I remember correctly it wasn't an option....but I may have just glossed over it assuming it wasn't there in more recent boards.

it doesn't look like the Quadros/Octo add any additional fan curves when linked to the Aquaero - they act as a port extender. https://forum.aquacomputer.de/weitere-foren/english-forum/p1446194-octo-aquabus-cable/
You could probably achieve the same results using a Aquaero and a splitty

It may be that you can do both by connecting both cables - I'd check but I haven't got one to check with. It may be that you can have the Aquaero pull data from the Quadro over Aquabus but leave the Quadro in charge of the fan curve by configuring it over USB. I do have a Farbwerk (not the newer 360 or the nano, the original one) and that definitely has the option to run RGB curves locally based on either local temp sensors or data exported to it from the Aquaero. It also can be slaved to the Aquaero and use LED controllers on the Aquaero. This is what I've done but it does have a limit again of 4 LED controllers too so one of my LED controllers drives both the onboard RGB header (single RGB LED that I used to replace the case's power button LED for a quick temp estimate) as well as one of the Farbwerk channels.

Back
Top Bottom