Won’t Post

Soldato
So I went to turn my pc on a few days ago and it wouldn’t post. All spun up nicely as normal but nothing coming on the screen.

B450 tomahawk
Ryzen 3600x
16gb Corsair vengeance DDR4 3600 ram.
Two Samsung SSD’s and an NVMe drive.
Vega 56.

1) the vega has just returned from RMA with no faults.
2) I have tried one stick, two sticks and even replaced the ram entirely with new sticks.
3) have reseated the cpu
4) have tried a DVI and HDMI cable
5) have reset bios
6) have tried new monitor cables
7) have tried a different monitor.

nothing.

all I get is either no signal or a load of multicoloured lines across the screen.

Strangely most of the options in my monitors menu are greyed out. Either way it’s not the monitor as I have tried another fully working one.

the only other thing I can think of is a dodgy motherboard whereby the PCI slot is faulty.

any thoughts from anyone?

no signal, multicoloured Horizontal lines, no post.

thanks - I’m SO frustrated by this

Soldato
you sure the motherboard has latest bios that supports the Zen2 cpu? the non-max board dont come with the bios that supports zen 2

edit: didnt read the bit you said your pc was working and stopped working.

could it be the GPU?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
you sure the motherboard has latest bios that supports the Zen2 cpu? the non-max board dont come with the bios that supports zen 2

could it be the GPU?

nope - the gpu has just returned from Ocuk having been tested and deemed fine

Soldato
OP

could it be the GPU?

also the B450 Max boards had the updated bios already - it was the first run of boards that didn’t

Soldato
OP
This - The GPU seems like the likely candidate, even though it worked for OCUK.

Why did it go back for RMA in the first place, by the way?

Primarily because it wouldn’t post - seemed the most likely candidate!

sure it can’t be a botched motherboard?

Soldato
OP
Nope doesn’t work in the other slot either.

ocuk did a full test and said it posted first time on their machine

I’ve got a new B450 arriving tomorrow just in case - if it doesn’t solve the issue I’ll have to send it back and just buy a new Gpu - although that situation is currently beyond a joke

unless I call ocuk and explain and see what they can do

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Really lovely friend of mine just whizzed over his old GTX 760.
Didn’t post with that either.

I think, from all the tests I have done, that the B450 has died somehow- it’s the only other thing it can be

I’ll be sending it back to ocuk and installing the new one when it arrives tomorrow

wish me luck guys

Soldato
OP
"6) have tried new monitor cables
7) have tried a different monitor."

:D
Haha! Yeh I don’t think there is anything else.

the only other thing it could be is a short on the motherboard - perhaps the case is interfering with it. Anyone know what the typical symptoms of that might be?

Soldato
Tbh I am thinking it could be CPU. The PCIe slot is directly connected to CPU and doesn’t go through the chipset. Also the second slot is down also which doesn’t make much sense. So the common fault on both of these slot is then the CPU.

even if the motherboard is some how damaged while GPU is in slot 1, slot 2 should work as it hasn’t been used.

Soldato
OP
Tbh I am thinking it could be CPU. The PCIe slot is directly connected to CPU and doesn’t go through the chipset. Also the second slot is down also which doesn’t make much sense. So the common fault on both of these slot is then the CPU.

even if the motherboard is some how damaged while GPU is in slot 1, slot 2 should work as it hasn’t been used.

hmmmm but it’s not even knocked, moved changed or had anything done to it. Surely it can’t just....... break?

Back
Top Bottom